Radar/Laser Detectors

xer0

they are a waste of money, any one i see with one i basically give a ticket, usually when your detector goes off they already have your speed clocked, trust me i do it for a living,

611557885_l.jpg

one of my friends pulling some person over with a really nice car for a good photo

is that a NY state trooper by any chance?

i miss u guys chasin' me around....lol na i knew a few back home that liked to play around with me on he high way's at night. i live near the albany side of I87

yes i am an officer part time, (during the winter only) during the summer i work for my fathers construction business, all of our new trooper cars last spring were installed with a complete in dash computer system, the in dash computer have a radar that can pick up up to 25 different speeds from different cars well over a mile a way, when your radar detector picks up a signal we will already have your speed, the only times we use the hand radars is when theres lots of trafic, the only down side to the new computers is the screen is mounted right in the middle of the dash, so its a bitch to get to the heat/ac and the radio, but o well,

One big problem there......a radar can pick up the signal from over a mile away without line of sight. You have to have line of sight of a car to pick up it's speed....otherwise you wouldn't know what car the speed belonged to. Argue it all you want but my radar has saved me many times. It goes off, I hit the brakes.....pop over a hill and there's a cop sitting there.

i have a radar detector, but i want the V1. i dont depend on it for saving me, but i do like to have a heads up if there is a cop around. especially with my car, because if i do one thing wrong im getting pulled over.

the one thing that i like about a radar detector is that if you do pass a cop, it lets you know if hes gunning you. but the main reason i like it is if its dark out and theres a car behind you and your not sure if its a cop, your radar detector will let you know.

Those are all great reasons.. pretty much the same ones as which landed me my radar detector.

It gives me a piece of mind knowing that when I pass a cop at 65 (limit is 55) and Ka doesn't go off that he doesn't know my speed. Normally, I would freak out. Now, whenever I ride in friends cars, I feel naked. The radar doesn't go off when cops are near and I freak out. I would much rather know if they are radaring or not.

i got to ride with a cop once for some highschool project all day. and we were talking while iw as riding around, and i said "honestly, alot of us kids that cruise around have radar/lazer detectors, what do you guys do about that now?" and he just laughed and said "keep it off, and turn it on when we need it"

cops will ALWAYS win in the end. radar detectors are great, but i don't rely on one. like said above it gives me a heads up, but it wont save me all the time.

yes i am an officer part time, (during the winter only) during the summer i work for my fathers construction business, all of our new trooper cars last spring were installed with a complete in dash computer system, the in dash computer have a radar that can pick up up to 25 different speeds from different cars well over a mile a way, when your radar detector picks up a signal we will already have your speed, the only times we use the hand radars is when theres lots of trafic, the only down side to the new computers is the screen is mounted right in the middle of the dash, so its a bitch to get to the heat/ac and the radio, but o well,

That really wouldn't work in a hilly area. It would only work in like Iowa or Kansas or some other flat state.

Ok, so after this discussion my story is kind of funny.

I was cruising along down 620 at about 5-7 over the limit with my radar on and music up so I wasn't paying much attention. As soon as I get into the right lane I hear this "woo woo woo woo" that is incredibly loud because my detector is all the way up. Fortunately it was, and surprised me, because I slowed down upon hearing it. I look up a few seconds later at my detector and its flashing L and still going of like crazy. Oh crap. Thats laser. The cop means business. I see him not too seconds later with his laser trained on my front bumper. That bastard. He got me so good. Fortunately I was already doing the limit after initially slowing down and he didn't turn on his lights. I pulled off after I passed him just to make sure.

With that said, I know 100% that if I didn't have my detector on me, I would've been NAILED. It's fortunate that I did because I might have noticed later and been going at a constant enough speed for him to get a reading.

Like I said, I don't use my radar as a safeguard for constantly going 10 mph over the limit. It basically just alerts me when cops are near so I don't do anything stupid. It just happened to save me this time, and a few others.

So, radar > than none.

PS- This is my $40 Cobra that I picked up from Target. So far one of the best investments I have made.

Because people in my area have been pulled over for 2 mph over the limit.

Also, because speeding is speeding. 60-62 in a 55 is still speeding. 55 is the law, not a guideline, so the cop has every right to pull you over. There is no law that says 5 over shouldn't be pulled over. It's whether the cop feels like doing paperwork or not, or whether he has a quota to meet.

Why else would the cop have a LASER gun in my area? It's not necessary to find someone going 15 over in a 55. I could pick that car out. He was using a very precise, very accurate gun, and decided to go after me. Oh yeah, had I stayed at 62, he would've pulled my ass over. I bet I was the only car there that got picked off.

I just figure they'd show you no mercy if they knew you drove a modded honda, were a male under 25, and had a radar detector. I mean, come on... Once they know all that, you're gonna get a ticket for something.

Oh, yeah, you're absolutely right. When they see it it's like begging for a ticket, but it's not anything I have to worry about if they don't pull me over.

That's why I was freaking out. Taking all of those into account, that cop was reaching for his lights when he saw my car... lol.

One big problem there......a radar can pick up the signal from over a mile away without line of sight. You have to have line of sight of a car to pick up it's speed....otherwise you wouldn't know what car the speed belonged to. Argue it all you want but my radar has saved me many times. It goes off, I hit the brakes.....pop over a hill and there's a cop sitting there.

xalexjx@yahoo.com = pwn3d

cobra radar detectors aren't too bad, I have the top cobra one too, and I've never gotten a ticket for speeding.

btw xalexjx, you're gonna get cancer from the radiation. cops get cancer more often on the side of them that the radar is on than regular people, its been proven in research.

• 2 weeks later...
Why the hell were you so scared if you were going 5-7 over the limit?

Wow, so I basically just proved my point tonight. I was driving home from Saw III to drop my gf off and as soon as I crest the hill Ka goes off and I hit the brakes. I was going a little over 65, but when the cop got a good reading he immediately pulled off and turned on his lights. Damnit. When he told me my speed, guess what it was? 66 in 60. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's 6 over. Which you said I shouldn't be afraid of. Fortunately I was curteous enough to get let off with a warning.. The guy asked me what movie I saw, where I go to school, etc. It was weird. The funny thing is, I was wearing my drug free bracelet from school which I loled at when he asked about it. Maybe some bonus points?

PS-- He also gave me a warning for no front plates. Well, front plates are required, but only if you have a place for them. I took my plate and bracket off. Anyone know something about this? There were two cops, and since the one who wrote the ticket approached me like I was a dangerous criminal I'm assuming that he just wasn't aware or something.

Wow, so I basically just proved my point tonight. I was driving home from Saw III to drop my gf off and as soon as I crest the hill Ka goes off and I hit the brakes. I was going a little over 65, but when the cop got a good reading he immediately pulled off and turned on his lights. Damnit. When he told me my speed, guess what it was? 66 in 60. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's 6 over. Which you said I shouldn't be afraid of. Fortunately I was curteous enough to get let off with a warning.. The guy asked me what movie I saw, where I go to school, etc. It was weird. The funny thing is, I was wearing my drug free bracelet from school which I loled at when he asked about it. Maybe some bonus points?

PS-- He also gave me a warning for no front plates. Well, front plates are required, but only if you have a place for them. I took my plate and bracket off. Anyone know something about this? There were two cops, and since the one who wrote the ticket approached me like I was a dangerous criminal I'm assuming that he just wasn't aware or something.

yeah you gotta be really careful towards the end of the month because theyre trying to make quota. my brother and my dad were at this bagel place for lunch and watched a cop pull 6 people over just while they were eating. the end of the month is like their period

i've been let off with a warning for 15 over but it also really depends on the area. in riverside there are alot of cops but they are pretty easy going, out here in long beach they are buttheads and will pull you over for going ANYTHING over. i saw a cop jump a curb going after a guy who didn't come to a complete stop, and it wasn't like the guy blew the stop sign or anything he just slowed waaaaayyy down.

Archived