huge n00b question pls dont flame

willis99lude

alright, so this is a really noob question and id rather make a fool out of myself on the internet than in RL so. here it goes, I bought my lude 2 weeks ago, and a rod blew (no i didnt drive it crazy i promise) but i got screwed over from the dealershipa nd blah blah blah. but thats all besides the point.

my engine is pwned, so we can buy a new block and rebuild it. and so far thats probably what ill be doing. BUT i wanted to know what engines are capable of being placed in it?

and the noob question. Can you put motors in it that arent honda motors? like a nissan, or toyota motor? im asking because i dont know about imports or anything. My parents are bikers and love there hot rods and all that jazz, and i know you used to be able to throw a ford motor in a chevy and viser versa with out a lot of work. so would it take a lot of work, if its even possible? and if so what other motors would even fit in the engine bay?

you could, but there would be no benefits. you would be losing money. along with the motor you would probably need msot of the electronics and sensors from the other engine also. it was easy back in the day to switch chevy's and fords and so because there was no electronics, plenty of under-hood room, and all sorts of brackets and mounts could simply be welded in. it jsut wouldnt be worth doing, and the cars value would drop dramatically.

Well if you own a 99 Prelude then that means you blew the USDM H22. First of all great decision on the choice of car :) but im really sorry that you got a bad one. Anyways you could put any motor in your car you want but it would take alot to put something else in besides the H22. If I were you I would buy the JDM Type-s H22 with the LSD tranny, get forged rods and go with the JDM .25 oversized pistons. Now my question to you is do you just want your Prelude running again or do you have big plans for it ?

you could, but there would be no benefits. you would be losing money. along with the motor you would probably need msot of the electronics and sensors from the other engine also. it was easy back in the day to switch chevy's and fords and so because there was no electronics, plenty of under-hood room, and all sorts of brackets and mounts could simply be welded in. it jsut wouldnt be worth doing, and the cars value would drop dramatically.

thanks for that info i wasnt seriously thinking about it, because it knew it would be expensive, i just wanted to know the possibilities, and expand my knowledge a little bit

Well if you own a 99 Prelude then that means you blew the USDM H22. First of all great decision on the choice of car :) but im really sorry that you got a bad one. Anyways you could put any motor in your car you want but it would take alot to put something else in besides the H22. If I were you I would buy the JDM Type-s H22 with the LSD tranny, get forged rods and go with the JDM .25 oversized pistons. Now my question to you is do you just want your Prelude running again or do you have big plans for it ?

Yeah, well the history of the car was, some old man owned it, the some chump kid who put some ricer parts on it and beat the living hell out of it, traded it to a dealer, and thats where i came in. I am by no means an "adult" yes i am 18 but im still a kid and we all know that. I dont want to rice it out or anything like that, nice rims and a fresh coat of paint (mine is oxidized) is good enough for me and hey if i got some extra money after my mods with a purpose sure id get a real non aggressive body kit, just to make the car look more unique. But to the point, the kid beat the crap out of it, and well i got the crap end of the stick. So now i have a nice car, sitting in my front yard, with a hole the size of a quater in the motor block and it wasnt even my fault. 4th gear at about 3000 rpm, not my idea of hauling balls and revving hard.

now for the motor? where do i find one. how much extra is it with that transmission (because my transmission is still in good condition. and how much would forged rods and oversized pistons cost, now i would be interested in purchasing them now because id already have the block apart, so it wouldnt be a pain in the ass install. But. big plans? Meh, i guess, i like to go fast, and i love car audio. So ill do a system before i do any dramatic mods to the engine because thats more important to me (re xxx 12/mb quart componets/pioneer touch screen deck/amp's, undecided). But after that sure, i have some plans, id like to make it quicker, get really nice brakes and rotors, short shifter, and i dont know much about NA build ups on these cars, because it broke only 8 days after i had owned it, so i hadnt really gotten into all that good stuff yet. And i say NA because i read about all these people talking about there turbo problems and all that. But hey, maybe you guys could give me some cold hard facts. thanks alot guys

check out hmotorsonline.com. they have good prices for engines and i think they have the h22 available without the tranny. if not, im sure you could call and see if they could do that for you.

rebuilding an engine isnt a walk in the park. first, you have to decide if you are going to rebuild it just stock, N/A, or for boost. once you have that established, you can worry about engine parts.

my suggestion:

buy the engine for now, get it installed so you have a car. figure out what you want to do and then save for the parts and do it at once.

what turbo problems do you hear? i properly setup turbo kit will not give you problems. (and a properly tuned one to add)

The only problem with putting the motor in now and then deciding what you want is that if you do decide to do foreged rods etc.. wherever you take it to have it done they will try and charge you like 500 just take the motor out of your car, so if your serious I would have all of it installed while you have the motor out of the car. Where do you live because there is like 2 shops within 20 miles of me who all carry any JDM motor you want and they do engine builds, www.zerolift.com www.TPRcincy.com

i live in tucson arizona, i know where im doin it at already i just need a motor. Im getting it done at sports and imports because ive known the mechanic all my life, and hes going to do it for cost of parts and just teach me how to do all the things myself.

and as for the forged rods, im guessing because im still fairly noob to the whole car rebuilding thing, forged rods are just stronger correct? and those specific pistons, you where talking about would those be for turbo nor NA?

h22a type-s motor from hmotorsonline.com will run you about $3600 shipped. i think that's a little much (cost-wise) for what you're looking for. the h22a long block is around $1200 or so...i think, i'm not sure. type-s motor would be sick-nasty though

Type-s motor has 20 more horsepower then USDM, comes with a LSD tranny, has .25 oversized pistons and a better compression ratio AND it comes with a red valve cover :bow:

ok now is 3x the price worth the extra 20 horsepower, or sould i just use my money to put those pistons in the regular h22a motor

and what difference does the lsd transmission make?

LSD is a limited slip diferential...

From what I understand if your tires or tire is slipping it takes the power from the one tire which isnt getting any traction and gives or shares it with the other tire that has traction. In my friends 06 Si, he can rip the turns on the mountian, and you can feel the LSD pull the car through the turn, well, I think thats the LSD working, not sure... Thats what I understand it as... anybody feel free to correct me tho.

i dunno if your interested, or if im very serous about it..... but if the price is right, i may be willing to part with my whole engine. just was rebuilt and boosted. did alll the work myself and have the lsd transmission.....

if its even something you may be interested in, lemme know and i can give you more details.

i dunno if your interested, or if im very serous about it..... but if the price is right, i may be willing to part with my whole engine. just was rebuilt and boosted. did alll the work myself and have the lsd transmission.....

if its even something you may be interested in, lemme know and i can give you more details.

email me with details brandonwillis90@gmail.com

i dont think you want it. i've been thinking about it and i think it would be more hassle than its worth..... also i am still trying to get all the kinks worked out of the motor..... if you want my honest opinion i would say rebuild it stock. all the hassle of building a motor isnt worth it.

so, i still need someone to anwser that question. The transmission sounds like a real go. sounds like it helps alot unless mine already has it which it might idk. But for the motor. I want power and i want just a h22a atleast i think

and i think that for 3600 i can make it far more powerful than that SI motor. Does that sound about right for all of you guys.

The block with over size pistons, headers, intake, exhaust, bigger wires, some new cams, and anything else you guys can reccomend me doing to make it worth my while

so, i still need someone to anwser that question. The transmission sounds like a real go. sounds like it helps alot unless mine already has it which it might idk. But for the motor. I want power and i want just a h22a atleast i think

and i think that for 3600 i can make it far more powerful than that SI motor. Does that sound about right for all of you guys.

The block with over size pistons, headers, intake, exhaust, bigger wires, some new cams, and anything else you guys can reccomend me doing to make it worth my while

Wait, what do you mean then that SI motor ??

yeah thats what i meant, im sorry, im not all that car savvy, i dont have a father or father figure so i never realy had a chance to work on anything. The only thing ive ever gotten to work on was my old 5hp go cart motor. but yeah

with 3600, i believe that i could make far more than 20 extra HP, dont you agree?

Archived