What should i do first to a civic for more hp?

WantAnSI

• 2 months later...

I would suggest Fr|ed_R|ce, that you start reading... it's the best way to know your car and about those you want to kill. You sound like you are pretty new to the whole modding thing. Let me give you some advice. If you want a car that can kill an SVT...forget worrying about $$, about time working on the car and don't expect that you will ever be able to be faster than 12's in a street legal civic. there are much better opportunities killing stangs with other Jap companies, like Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Toyota. But still with enough $$ anything is possible.

WOW you guys know a lot about mustangs... and the SI i like my si but i didn't realize it would take that much to mod it. i guess i shouldn't expect too much from a 4banger... i hear mustnags are really easy to mod? and lots can be done... maybe i'll sell my SI

do not sell your car. ok heres what u do first. first get a motor swap like a B18C ITR or GSR. then build up hte internals and turbo it. then get a big as turbo and get a bunch of good crap for it. then get a chip and then run it at about 15 psi all times and i guarentee you will run 13s with everything still in the car

• 3 months later...

"The difference between mustangs can be seen in the logo on the back and on the side in front of the door... GT is the V8 model and if there is a picture of a cobra that is the SVT cobra model, those two are the ones you should avoid racing until you get some real power like a turbo"

Gonna need to be a pretty big turbo

B16's wont be able to compete with GT, lol im not even goin to mention the Cobra :o

Not reading all of the post in here, but anyways.

The new Civics suck. Honda had the bright idea to raise the compression in most of their new cars for more power. You can spend $1,500 on the engine and you will get 8hp at the most (intake, header, exhaust). Buy an old one or swap in a K20A.

as if hondas didn't already have high enough compression....hey i've got a good idea! add two cylinders to the engine! that'll probably equal out a 30:1 compression ratio or whatever it's gonna be raised to... :crazy:

dude..drone007. i respect the fact that your cool enough to have a 3kgt..but don't come on the honda forums and make an ass of yourself by saying crap like this

hey i've got a good idea! add two cylinders to the engine! that'll probably equal out a 30:1 compression ratio or whatever it's gonna be raised to...

no offense or anything

well i did try to sound like an ass on that post, cuz i think it's stupid to keep upping the compression ratio...it's just stupid. my 11:1 engine can be upped to 12:1 with forged pistons, yeilding me an amazing 10 or so horses. :crazy: i'm not tryin to downplay civics, but i think there's something wrong if the compression ratio is the only thing that honda can think of.

your going to need to go faster than 13's to beat a new cobra. With 390hp it should be well into the 12's. The new GT's run low to mid 14's. An older cobra will run mid 13's. With a $5k turbo kit you'll be competing, but barely.

I hear you can get the new Cobra's well over 400+ @ the wheels with just an exhaust.

The difference between mustangs can be seen in the logo on the back and on the side in front of the door... GT is the V8 model and if there is a picture of a cobra that is the SVT cobra model, those two are the ones you should avoid racing until you get some real power like a turbo

V6 coupe - 190 HP

V8 GT - 260 HP

SVT Cobra - 390 HP

lol, i saw a v6 mustnang the other day with a "SVT cobra emblem" on the back of it.

want to a stang, get a 92 cx, drop in a gsr, and shot 50 shot nos, ull run low 14's and high 13's, with slicks and if u hook up, mid to low 13's. and if u don't beleve me just ask all those SS, Z28, and SVT, that crouse gratiot in detroit, they'll know who im talking about.

Personally i would respect someone going all motor rather than turbo. I think that you should do a b20/vtec motor. I have a friend in a 93 hatch with a ls/vtec with not that as much as you would think done, and he runs 13.7 here in utah with this elevation. 13.7 would be a low 13, high 12 in cali if not lower. I would buy a cheaper 96 or so ex, or even a cheaper 96-98 hatch (if you like the new style) and do a b20/vtec. I researched the swap to cost me around 6-7 g's with me doing the swap myself. The b20 will create a lot of torque to get you out of the whole and the gsr head will produce the top end. You can get some very fast 1/4 times all motor with a b20/vtec.

drop in a gsr, and shot 50 shot nos, ull run low 14's and high 13's

GSR with cams would net same or better time slips, and you could do it all motor, much funner to beat up on v8s w/o Nitrous or F/I. haha i wouldnt know though :p

BTW NOS is a brand, Nitrous is what you use, thats just a persoanl pet peeve :crazy:

as for me I would stay 1.6L Because it's an awesome high reving very potential beast. you could do extensive unexpensive head work if the person doing this is helpful and cool & will go out of their way to help you.

head work, complete intake(man,throttlebody, cold air), Cams (ctr,crane,etc.)

timing and fuel man.(aem cam gears, msd ign, hondata management)

correct gearing, Clutch, exhaust-full, small shot of nos

this, if done correctly with lsd, and good track/steet tires like nitto 555r's or slicks should get you were you are content for now

But believe me That will change!

If you are in disbelief check out bseries.net

I'm a witness to the almighty B16a :ninja:

I've seen 12's as will you on the website, hope it is helpful to you, it was to me. another thing is to set goals for yourself along the way and a good plan is helpful. there is many options for you as a honda builder, you could also look @ Larger displacement as far as a swap (b18,20, H-22,23)

I personally would stay 1.6L :ninja:

the b16 has almost the best rod length, i agree that you should stay with a b16. however boring it out to a 1.8 ltr and keeping the stock rod length will keep the high reving capabilites of the b16 and give it the low end torque of a b18. head work will help out a lot too, but it wont give you the low end torque, then again hondas arent known for their torque numbers.

Archived