sub box

SexyH22

i'm pretty proud of this, i think its pretty cool..... the first ever 15" sub in the cab of a del sol. me and a buddy built the box i think it turned out hella good. but i blew the sub so its out now.....

subbox1.jpg

subbox3.jpg

nah i dont like ported boxes. i was underpowering it alot. like the amp i had was 150 amp. and i just went too loud and it blew.

i dunno if its true, but i heard that underpowering them is bad casue they cant complete the sopund wave or something, like its flat on the top, instead of curvy the whole way

Looks good what setup is that?

what was the rms wattage of the sub? no offence but you can't simply blow a sub by underpowering it. Thats how you wear the sub in. I've been running 200watts max amp on a 1000w rms sub.

Porting doesn't work well with all subs. it depends on dept and size/ if you got speakers sharing the air space etc.

it depends what music your playing really. porting a box is for like coon tunes with a lot of bass n crap, but not porting them is better for like rock and more precise bass. not a fan of portholes. when you power your subs, your supposed to power them half of what their max is.

yeah I only say you get peak power out of 12" boxes mostly but you can't port a box if there is more then 1 spesker/sub in one airspace i.e boot/main cabin they interfer to much. My self im more into rock punk rock, but if i got to a car cruise in my area with rock tunes, my car really want be fast enough to get away from it distruction. which also means I will get into alot of fights, and I have done in the past for my old car let alone this one. So I figure its less damaging to the car to listern to allsorts

for example if your subs is...oh say 400rms, you need at LEAST half the wattage of that pushing your sub. so you'll need at LEAST 200watt rms to push 400rms. of course under powering sub isn't too bad.

as timmy said, ported depends on the music you listen to. rock/alternative you'll prob want tight bass so sealed would be ideal. i listen to a lot of hip hop. hip hop and such is ideal to be bumped in a ported box.

Having a ported, bandpass, or sealed box is all about everything, not just space issues, or what type of music... You need to study a woofer and see what it needs for max efficiency, max spl, and sound quality all together. If you cannot meet the needs of a certain woofer and have to sacrifice the sound by using a certain type of box, like for isntance... Say you have a sub designed for a massive sealed box and you cant pull it off, and you put it in a bandpass box... You just messed up hardcore..

BTW, the box looks good in the Sol, good job.

That box sticks out like a sore thumb. Too cheap to mold it in? Might as well have a penis sticking out of your neck to go with it.

Bitched. Hahaha, that's for you sexy, for always downing hs stuff. Lol, you guys crack me up

i bet you could get more than 100. q logic boxes are more than that. granted yours isnt name brand or whatever, but still its a custom box and fits perfectly into the back of a sol. just factor in how much the mdf cost you and the other materials, plus how long it took you to build.

• 4 weeks later...
for example if your subs is...oh say 400rms, you need at LEAST half the wattage of that pushing your sub. so you'll need at LEAST 200watt rms to push 400rms. of course under powering sub isn't too bad.

Underpowering a sub is WORSE for it than overpowering it (within reason) who ever told you that is full of it

fiberglassing is hard. it takes practice but its pretty difficult.

Obviously you have never done it. It isn't hard, just messy as hell. It does take a little practice tho.

I did both my kick panels out of fiberglass, and I made my own dash out of fiberglass.....

and yes, my dash was my first attempt at fiberglassing.

Archived