Cams, cam gears, and pulleys questions..

mountaindewguy

ok, kinda new to the site... not really a virgin to bolt ons.... but never messed with the cam gears/cams/and pulleys before.

so a few questions to get goin on...

first, the pulleys...simple

any yays or nays about AEM pulleys? the alternator/power steering pulleys?

and cams/gears...

i was gonna get a stage 1 comp cam (zex cam) for my z6...but i was wondering if i need an aftermarket cam gear for it? because they are noted to be used on stock engines... but i was also told to get one...

which would you recommend? i was thinking AEM..

second..

if i do need a cam gear, do i need it 'dyno tuned'? i was told on another honda site that an adjustable cam NEEDS to be dyno tuned. i know plenty of people with them and theres not a dyno around this state as far as i know... is there not a way to correct the timing by yourself? if so.. how?

sorry about all the reading...just gettin to know the site, thanks!

Any underdrive pullies do more harm than good.

There is a reason there is rubber in the OEM crank pulley. Vibrations.

Yeah yeah, bring up the CTR N1 crank pulley. The CTR N1 was a race car not to be driven on the street. Hence why it came with steelies versus normal CTR wheels.

Yeah, SSR just said they do more harm than good. That means they might do a little but not worth the risk of the harm they may do. Underdrive pullies will underdrive all of your accessories so they don't take as much power to run them. However, you have to think that Honda made those accessories to run on the power the stock pullies provide them and not less. If they could run reliably on less then I'm sure Honda would have done that.

Archived