advice on a drop

eleciv7

Not true. Certain states have laws prohibiting lowering of cars. In Virginia, modifying the suspension is illegal. Period. Lifiting or lowering, it's illegal. Cops won't pull you just for that, but they can. Don't assume, because certain states are different, and being that you don't live in Texas, I wouldn't jus give him a 100% answer like that.

As far as lowering your car goes, Why would you want it that low ??? You don't want to bottom out everywhere. Lower it enough so that you don't have a wheel well gap anymore. And keep at least 14 inch wheels on. Because if you try to seal the gap between the wheels with 13's, you are going to scrape everything.

well thats stupid.. why would they have such a gay ass law like that?

i'd never move to va for that stupid law.

Well, normally when you move somewhere, the deciding factor shouldn't be, "do they have any suspension laws ?", but it is about why you are moving. In fact, I'm sure every state has a law that restricts it in some shape or form. I can probably guarantee it, to some degree. It is not legal to be 3 inches off of the ground, nor is it legal to be 60 inches off of the ground. There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and to make it easy, VA just restricts all of it :laugh:

theres lowriding clubs around here and they ride about 2-3 inches off the ground cruising.

and theres a guy here who has a 10 inch susp. lift and a 8 inch body lift on his f150.

these people have never gotten pulled over for what they do.

i guess its different everywhere.

well

over here in boston

i see f150 and other trucks with louder exhaust than any civic could ever imagine of having

and they wont ever get pulled over

but if a civic has an exhuast...u have a 50/50 chance of gettin puled over

as far as lowering a car her ein boston..i believe yur headlights have to be a certain amount of feet off the ground

or sumthing like that

as someone mentioned before, they won't pull you over just b/c your car is lower than the requirement. However if they want to be jerk holes then sure they can. That aside, go as low as you want. Just be careful not to bottom out your car or go over a rock that will fly into your oil pan and puncture a hole in it. If you have the funds, go for coilovers so you can adjust it however height you want or air suspension.

• 2 months later...

In Texas there’s not a "lowering law" as far as you suspension goes but your head/tail lights must remain between a certain range. Something like 18-24 inches from the middle of your head light to the ground. I say its “Something like 18-24” cause its changes year to year but not very much. To find out for sure for 2006 go to DPS office by were you live and ask for the book they will know what your talking about cause it’s the only book they give you its yellow and has a stop light on the front of it. This is also the book they give you to study for your driving test. Hope that helped

In Texas there’s not a "lowering law" as far as you suspension goes but your head/tail lights must remain between a certain range. Something like 18-24 inches from the middle of your head light to the ground. I say its “Something like 18-24” cause its changes year to year but not very much. To find out for sure for 2006 go to DPS office by were you live and ask for the book they will know what your talking about cause it’s the only book they give you its yellow and has a stop light on the front of it. This is also the book they give you to study for your driving test. Hope that helped

Where about in tx are you from?

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of states just use the " Cig pack " rule, where if your front bumper or side skirts sit lower than the top of a pack of smokes then they will ticket you... And there is another underground rule that if the top of the lip of your wheels sits above your chassis that is an automatic ticket...

These are "underground" rules that cops sometimes use as a rule of thumb type deal but I'm not sure about Texas... Here in Cali they use those 2 rules alot...

Archived