are front wheel drive cars driftworthy

stickmonster(lol)

I went to my first import event last week, a lot of it was really stereotypical. All these dumbcraps with big wings and poorly laid custom paint on their unfitted Vader bodykits, it was really discouraging. Even worse, a lot of domestic coupe's were in the show (if that makes sense). All these dumbass kids with their imitation turbo exhaust (you know that little whistle thing that you can get on ebay that makes you sound like a bitch). However, I found salvation at a small rectangular track in the center of the Nissan encampment. Screeching tires and the smell of freshly melted rubber were crisp on my senses. I diligently unseamed the crowd and made my way to a cold steel gate. Slowly gazing upwards, I was amazed at the furious orgy of two Nissans screeching and spinning. I immediately began asking questions of those around me and came to find that this was the "DRIFT" event. I wanted to be a part of it immediately, so I signed up to sit passenger with a guy in an S2000. Needless to say, I am aching to get in the driver's seat next time. The positive G's were putting all kinds of acute stress on my body, I could feel my gut wrench with every stroke of the cylinders (In other words, it was constant). I stepped out of that bastard and almost fell down, it was like stepping off a treadmill that you've been walking on for 2 hours. Anyways, now to the questions I initially planned on asking.

Can a front wheel drive Civic drift?

If so, would I be foolish to get into such a hobby?

A guy at the event told me that any car with a 4 or 5-speed and enough power to spin the tires through second gear would be driftable.

How much torque would I need to drift?

Would I need to change my gearing?

The two Nissan's had turbocharged sr20det motors so will I need like a turbocharged B18 to do it right. If so, I'm out.

What kind of suspension would I need?

Would 16" motegi MR7 wheels be able to handle it?

I'm not asking that any one person answer all my questions, but I would love to hear some opinions and get a few answers along the way. THANKS

Drifting in a FWD car can be done, but, its no where near as cool or easy as a RWD, I myself am a drifting fan and would love to drift my civic, but unless you got the Cash to spend on new tires every week, not the smartest hobby to get into. But hey if you really wanna try it use coilovers so you can control how much drop you got, also adjustable shock absorbers I hear are another thing you want, don't worry about having a Turbo'd B18, just tune your motor right, learn how to use an Ebrake(without snow) your wheels are fine but your tires you might wanna be picky on, and Adjustable Cambering is definatly a good thing to think about. So good luck with drifting a civic, been done by many, sucessful by almost non. :p

I'm not really an expert but this is what I've been pickin up on, just talk to people who do drift and listen carefully.

damn, that's too bad.

The ugly ass cars I described weren't the ones drifting, just for the record, those were the buttheads entered in the car show, some of those cars were disgusting.

I have Pirelli Pzero nero tires on my wheels, but I guess I won't be ass sliding any time soon.

oh and I'm confused, SSR says civics don't have shocks is that to be taken literally or that the shocks suck ass.

drifting is gay. and i'll stand by that forever. there is no functionality to it what so ever, its just one big "stunt" show with a bunch of riced out cars. its a bandwagon, just like the ricey parts you described.

i agree with ssr...grip > slip

yeah, it was pretty crapty the other day when i had to buy a drift hoodie to keep warm :-/

i can tolerate watching it for a few minutes, but it's boring to me most of the time. and then the tons of people who are obsessed with it (but know little about it, and can't do it) makes it that much worse.

wow this really turned from a question to a bash on drifting. GET A LIFE PEOPLE STOP SITTING ON THIS FORUM 24/7 AND GO MAKE A CAR THAT'S WORTHY! :mad:

oh wait I forget were all supposed to be steryotipical tunners on here and all we do is run our mouths... :crazy: makes me crazy pissed

wow this really turned from a question to a bash on drifting. GET A LIFE PEOPLE STOP SITTING ON THIS FORUM 24/7 AND GO MAKE A CAR THAT'S WORTHY! :mad:

oh wait I forget were all supposed to be steryotipical tunners on here and all we do is run our mouths... :crazy: makes me crazy pissed

you really should just shut the hell up.

Archived