What to do, what to do? Rebuild, part out, salvage, sell "as is?&#

Gary Elkins

Thanks for the input. I'm probably like Xeryon - I don't have many places where I can, or need to drive very fast. My Miatas take me about a fast as I need to go, and with two speeding tickets in the past couple of years, I can't afford to go too fast.

I called Zerolift about an hour or so ago and left a message. Hopefully they will call me back at some point. Any idea how much it would cost to ship the engine from Cincinnati? I think it would cost me quite a bit in gas to drive my Dodge Ram V-8 to Cincinnati and back.

I just spoke with a guy at hmotorsonline.com. The guy quoted me $875 for the D16z6 and about $775 for the D15B (VTEC). Add $250 for shipping. The engines have about 40-50k.

Timing components and water pump would be added to the above costs. Takes about 2 weeks to ship. So it may be possible to keep it under $1800. If I can drum up some additional funds, I may consider Brian's option (Brian, will you come down to Toccoa, GA and install it? :wink: ).

Zerolift might be less just because they are in the same shipping zone. It's just a cruise on down i-75 to get to you. too bad the sol isn't running or you could just have them install it for you at zerolift. they have a nice service garage there.

The thought of bringing it to Ohio is worth considering - I wonder what it would cost to put it on a trailer and drive it with my gas guzzling truck. I would save on shipping and possibly the installation. Hmmmmmm :unsure:

I will call them again tomorrow. Or, maybe they will call me back on the number I left them.

I just spoke with a guy at hmotorsonline.com. The guy quoted me $875 for the D16z6 and about $775 for the D15B (VTEC). Add $250 for shipping. The engines have about 40-50k.

Timing components and water pump would be added to the above costs. Takes about 2 weeks to ship. So it may be possible to keep it under $1800. If I can drum up some additional funds, I may consider Brian's option (Brian, will you come down to Toccoa, GA and install it? :wink: ).

i would if i could and i would charge little to nothing.. but im in afghanistan right now and when i get back im going back to WA then off to wherever else the army sends me.. i have a couple friends that have bought from HMO and have been to their warehouses, theyre GREAT dealers so if you go with them you wont be dissapointed and i have only heard good reviews about them thats why i always recommend them

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update on used engine install for the 93 Del Sol. I contacted Zerolift and purchased a D15B VTEC for $800 (included shipping). It just arrived a couple of days ago and it looks pretty clean.

But, my mechanic wondered why it did not include the crankshaft pulley. Should it have included that? I called Zerolift and asked if they could send one. The guy I talked to said he would look for one and call me back. I haven't heard back from him - so I don't know what to expect.

Is a crankshaft pulley something that should come with the engine? If not, does anyone know where I can find one? The Zerolift representative also mentioned that I need a "Keyway Lock" whatever that is. But he said I would probably have to go directly to Honda to get one.

Any thoughts?????

The pully should have been included. Kind of odd to have been seperate. Nice that they corrected the issue quickly for you.

The key he is talking about is probably the woodruff key. It is a special little chunk of metal that locks the pully into the exact spot it should be. Hard to explain in words, but it is much simpler than it sounds. It gets lost often during repairs and if you need one they are a couple $'s and any Honda dealer would have one. You could likely just have the mechanic pull the old one off the old engine and reuse it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the engine swap. As suggested, I went with the D15B VTEC and got for $800 from Zerolift. I dropped by to check with the mechanic this morning to see how things were going. He said "okay," but mentioned that one hole for bolting the engine did not line up exactly (the other two in the same general vicinity did line up). He did not think it would be an issue, but does anyone know if that should be a matter of concern?

As in one of the motor mounts, I am assuming? So two of the three were connected is what I understand from that. If that is the case it is something that needs to be resolved. The car would run fine but the lack of the third support would cause excess strain on the other two and damage them quickly. Not to mention causing excess vibrations in the chassis with the engine allowed to wobble around a bit more than normal.

Wasn't expecting that one. Try giving a call to Zerolift and see if they have a suggestion preceded by lots of praise and thanks for all their good work so far.

If it is something else let me know what he says. There are areas where one bolt not lining up wouldn't make a difference but with motor mounts it will.

Not as bad as it seems. Just need clarification on exactly what the mechanic is referring to.

I also sent a message to the guys at the shop. No idea if it will help or hurt. The only thing I can think of is it is a small outfit and sometimes the only people in the shop are the ones working on the cars.

I went back to the mechanic to view again the hole that is not in alignment. Looking down at the engine, it is top right, closest to the front. It is where the power steering pulley is connected to the engine. There is one hole that does not line up exactly, but my mechanic said that it probably doesn't matter and it should not affect the stability of the engine itself.

There is another issue/concern. Apprarently the old D16Z6 engine had two braces that support/connect the engine to the transmission. There is only one area on the D15B engine to attach a brace. Thus, I have a leftover brace with no clear way to attach it to the D15B engine. Does the D15B require only one brace?

Hopefully that crankshaft pulley will arrive on Monday...

Update! The crankshaft pulley from Zerolift arrived on Wednesday! I picked up my Del Sol yesterday and so far I love the way it drives! I think I will keep it rather than sell it.

There is one more item the mechanic pointed out to me. There is a belt connecting two pulleys. One pulley is the power steering pulley and the other pulley is beneath it. The problem is that the two pulleys have different widths. The power steering pulley is designed for a size 4 belt and the other pulley is designed for a size 3 belt. My mechanic's concern is that the belt may wear down quickly because of the mismatch in the width of the two pulleys. So either I need to get another pulley to match the width of the power steering pulley, or get another power steering pulley and change the belt to a size 3.

Now, were to find replacement pulleys? Or, do I need to do this? Any thoughts? Is this really a concern?

Completely a guess, but I think it won't matter if you have a 3 rib pulley on it. It might wear a little faster but you are talking about a belt that needs changed once every 100,000 miles or so, so if it wears and needs replaced once every 80,000 miles I think you will be fine.

I still have my concern on the missing bolt. If you have a chance it would be nice to see a picture of where it is missing from.

Glad it worked out well so far. For posterity sake, It would be nice to know what your out the door price was on having the entire thing done. We know what engine swaps cost to do it ourselves but most of us don't have much knowledge on what shops charge for that work.

Bad news, I'm afraid. The belt lasted one day. I called Zerolift and apparently the crankshift pulley they sent was not the right match. It has to be one designed for 4-ribbed belts. So the representative said that he would try to find one. I sure hope so - I've invested about $1,900 into this project ($800 for the engine, $260 for the timing components, water pump and clutch, and $830 for the labor on the install which included some misc parts). Now I need a new belt, pulley and whatever the mechanic charges me for the labor. Ugh! :crazy:

On the up side the Sol isn't a terrible car to drive without power steering. It's a little rough in a parking lot but on the road it isn't to bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my engine swap story goes all the way back to June 29. That's when I received my engine from Zerolift without the crankshaft pulley. The one that was finally sent was not the right match so the belt lasted about a day. The last word I heard (July 25) was that another crankshaft pulley was being sent. I checked several times with the repair shop last week, but no pulley arrived. I hope it comes this week. Driving without power steering is no fun - especially in tight spots.

Come on, Zerolift, throw me a bone or something :crazy:

• 1 month later...

Hey maybe your problems sorted.. Maybe someone else is out there looking for a engine.. Shortly im going to have a super nice del sol engine for sale.. It has only 75k on the cluster with a old lady owner.. The engine sounds like its new and drives fantastic. read my thread about my project. It has to be the nicest del sol engine out there!.

http://www.hondaforums.com/topic/40859-project-del-sol-advice-help-me-deside/

Bad news, I'm afraid. The belt lasted one day. I called Zerolift and apparently the crankshift pulley they sent was not the right match. It has to be one designed for 4-ribbed belts. So the representative said that he would try to find one. I sure hope so - I've invested about $1,900 into this project ($800 for the engine, $260 for the timing components, water pump and clutch, and $830 for the labor on the install which included some misc parts). Now I need a new belt, pulley and whatever the mechanic charges me for the labor. Ugh! :crazy:

$830 for labor ??? Better be asian chick with a happy ending is all im saying!!

Archived