honest opinion on gauges

OTiS

so i want to get everyones opinions on putting gauges in a mostly stock sol? they would have a purpose since im looking at oil preassure, fuel level, and water temp. not really trusting the ones in the cluster. and they wouldent be 5 inches big either. just some small prosport ones like rick had in the wrx. opinions, pros, cons?

Fuel is useless, maybe fuel pressure.

Oil, get electric, i dont trust running oil into a car....

what do you mean by the bolded sentance? no on the fuel level gauge because prosport dosent have it

heres a link to the water temp gauge

http://prosportgauges.com/blue/White-water-temperature-gauge.aspx

and the oil preassure gauge

http://prosportgauges.com/blue/White-oil-pressure-gauge-52mm.aspx

well, there are 2 different types of oil pressure gauge, mechanical and electrical... electrical has a sending unit that sends an electrical signal into the cabin and onto the gauge. mechanical is just a tapped oil line into the cab and onto the gauge.... do you want an oil line running under your dash? i know i don't... IF you spring a leak it stays in the engine bay... not on your floor board.

well, there are 2 different types of oil pressure gauge, mechanical and electrical... electrical has a sending unit that sends an electrical signal into the cabin and onto the gauge. mechanical is just a tapped oil line into the cab and onto the gauge.... do you want an oil line running under your dash? i know i don't... IF you spring a leak it stays in the engine bay... not on your floor board.

'

gotcha. yea i was gonna go with the mechanical one as i wouldent trust oil running through my cabin either. from what iv seen on the mechanical one you hook an adapter plate onto the oil filter plate and screw the oil filter in to that and it sends the reading through that to the gauge. and the water temp is basiclly the same way in hooking an adapter to a coolant line and it sent the reading to the gauge.

from what iv read the prosport gauges are a little more accurate than autometers and defi. and most people say they are good gauges for the price (43ish for oil preassure and 39ish for water temp) the only bad gauge iv heard about is the boost gauge because when it suppose to go to 0 it dosent.

ive never looked into them, i have a good set of autometers that i got for my bug and kept for the rest of my cars :p

but you are looking at electrical gauges, not mechanical... but you can either do it like you said (which is the best) OR you can tap the block... sometimes for the coolant temp, you can put it into the bleeder spot or right next to the t-stat... depending on the size of the fitting and what look you are going for.

ive never looked into them, i have a good set of autometers that i got for my bug and kept for the rest of my cars :p

but you are looking at electrical gauges, not mechanical... but you can either do it like you said (which is the best) OR you can tap the block... sometimes for the coolant temp, you can put it into the bleeder spot or right next to the t-stat... depending on the size of the fitting and what look you are going for.

prosports are a little more accurate than autometers as well.

from what iv seen from the two i listed above they actually dont run water or oil through the cabin. though they are electrical. may go ahead and try them. dosent look like prosport sells the mechanical ones in that style

Where would you mount them? In my opinion I would go with something a little more unique than the whole pillar mount option.

The prosport gauges I had were fantastic and i would highly recommend them.

Where would you mount them? In my opinion I would go with something a little more unique than the whole pillar mount option.

The prosport gauges I had were fantastic and i would highly recommend them.

8832_146243177421_558102421_2591199_5307514_n.jpg

8832_146243252421_558102421_2591213_1074804_n.jpg

maybe something like those. same car in both pics. id honestly like to not drill holes anywhere. what would you recommend?

when i had my 5 gauges in the sol, i had the 3 on the pillar, and then 2 in the center vents... ive seen guys pull out the side (round) vents and put gauges there too.

iv seen that on the drivers side as well. thought about doin that but still iffy on it because i do use that vent. the center vents im not gonna take those out becuase those are functional as well. i might put them in the pillar but i dont want to drill holes in it. would some 3m double sided tape work or would the wieght be too much? if i did the cluster ones like posted above what would i search for on ebay? i dont know what they are called to be honest. frog eyes?

or instead of the frogeye in the cluster you could do what im going to do with my oil press, oil temp, and boost gauge.. the glovebox canted towards you so when you open it up theyre pointed straight at you but then you can close it and theyll be hidden :)

im debating on glovebox or where the headunit goes.. but i dont think i want to get rid of my radio because im debating on getting a flipout, since the guy that stole my car took the fuccking face plate :dry:

i never want my gauges to far from my regular light of sight, so i don't have to shift my head to see them... when beating on a car you probably don't wanna take your eyes off the road..

+1 but i dont really beat on mine.

i havent seen the bezel pods for a sol either. where would the frog eye pods go? on the hump that has the cluster in it? and would i have to drill for something like that? because id really rather not drill into it since i may be selling it come tax time.

you should probably go with an a-piller then, its really the only option without making holes (that i know of)

that would be the one that sits on the ds left of the steering wheel right? how does it stay on? im a newb

yes, and its either double sides tape or screws... you have to remove the stock one to put it on...

ok who makes a damn good double sided tape? and most of the ones iv seen go over the stock one and screw in. have these people been doing it wrong? and how does the stock one come off?

Archived