New Baby!

DelSolSweetie

We needed something with more room and something that got good mileage for Chris when he starts college... and I thought we should add another honda to the family

I named her Katy cause all the cars have names and now we cant just say 'the honda':

(del is emily.. the Z is alice.. the 92 supra is lola.. and the 87 is liz)

hatch.jpg

i'll take better pics for you guys tomorrow

picked her up for $1000

they had it listed as a dx 1.5 liter.. tach threw me off because redline was at 7200.. then jason pointed out the sunroof and painted side mirrors were painted so we thought it might be an Si

turns out it is an Si.. 100% factory Si.. has the original tape deck in it still.. stock air box.. stock wiring!.. interior has no rips/tears (could use a good vacuuming though)

says it has 180k but feels strong and has zero leaks/smoke/smells from what i saw.. the timing cover says timing belt and water pump was changed in 2010.. i'm wondering if the motor got more done to it then that.. doesnt feel like 180k lol said it had new brakes.. tires are new

only issues:

brakes feel like ass.. going to bleed them.. see if it helps

clutch feels mushy.. but like a normal stock clutch.. SS line will be in the mail soon

shifter is super lose.. 1st gear has enough wiggle to be neutral

we had no problems with starting but he said after longer trips it doesnt want to start hot.. not 100% sure but i'm thinking the starter is just getting over heated maybe

I think the exhaust is lose/broke/rusted.. its a little loud.. said it just got loud about a month ago.. we'll check it out better tomorrow

typical rust in rear panels.. not as bad as i thought it'd be

If I pick up this one I am looking at I am going to part down the sedan and put some things on the hatch and sell the others, then sell off the sedan as a stock-ish beater. If you have things you want for this at all let me know.

same thing with those new tires I have. the wheels look like poo but they are brand new tires, less then 1000 miles. i can do a sell/swap on those if you want them.

this one actually has almost brand new tires

i ordered energy suspension shifter bushings this morning to take car of sloppy shifter

I guess the exhaust is broke by the flange right after the cat... so have to take care of that

and then bleed the brakes sometime soon and see if that solves that problem

my thing is i want to buy stuff for it (its a shiny new toy of course).. but it doesnt NEED much of anything that i can think of lol

• 2 weeks later...

Love the Honda brand loyalty. I have a friend from college who's family is the same way. Don't even try to talk to them about anything but a Honda - but it is easy to understand this knowing the quality vehicles that Honda produces.

Nice pick up!

speaking of little problems

replaced the shifter bushings and all the slop is still there

Engine (Tranny, probably the front and rear) mounts could be wasted - the one's in my hatch were and it didn't shift too well - kinda sloppy.

I did Energy Suspension all the way around on the chassis to include the shift linkage and tranny torque rod. Did the chassis first and tranny shift linkage and torque rod bushings when I did the engine swap and new engine (Drop Engineering) mounts, at which time the rebuilt tranny started shifting real nice.

what clutch line are you gonna go with? russel has ss clutch lines for 25 and i think chasebays has them for 40ish. did you ever find out about the starter? iv kinda been having the same problem and the idea of the main relay getting too hot could be a problem.

wheres the updated pics??

Engine mounts have no direct connection with a shifter.. if my engine mount was bad my shifter would not have slop.. we are replacing the shifter to a short throw with a pressed in bottom bushing since thats the only one that didnt get changed.. see how that goes

chris got a clutch line off a place on ebay I guess?

We never had a starter issue with it? We drove it over an hour to the take the dogs to the vet before changing anything and had no problems.. drove back with no problems.. then drove it to the store and it cut off at a light and it took a couple trys to restart it but thats the only time its cut off like that.. so I don't know what the guy was talking about

right now its having a 'doesnt feel right issue'.. felt like it was hitting a wall at certain rpms

stuff replaced:

- full exhaust and 02 sensor (header back)

- plugs/wires

- cap/rotor button

- brakes are in a box inside.. still need to get put on

- oil/filter change

we looked at my zc and the ignition timing was rotated all the way back.. the hatch wasnt.. did that and helped the response A LOT.. took the timing cover off the check that timing and everything looks like it lined up but we think it might be a tooth or two off.. feels like a night and day difference with the ignition timing but still not perfect

it was throwing a 02 sensor code whenever you went over ~5k rpms.. it was also sucking fuel.. 02 sensor code stopped since the timing adjustment.. and the fuel consumption seems better but maybe not where it should be

vtec also wont engage.. screen looks clear and oil is getting into the solenoid.. oil is also full/clean.. I have a spare solenoid somewhere and a spare oil switch so I might try those

drove it to dayton yesterday after putting it back together (about 1hr 15min one way).. no issues

Archived