Getting VTEC in my d16y8?

Kohen

Hey, I'm new here.

So, I have a stock d16y8.

Pretty sure everything in unmolested.

I've read some things about this and it seems that y8's can run VTEC?

I just wanna make my SOHC VTEC.

Please help me out with what I will need to make this happen.

A list with everything I need to buy would be great. I know I need a head and everything but idk if I need a new harness or what if my current ECU can read VTEC

Any information helps. Also how to install it would be great.

If you need more information, ask and I will get back to you ASAP with my best knowledge.

If there is a topic about this, please link me!

Thanks for reading! And thank you very much if you give some good information ;)

EDIT: I've read more and it says that my engine is VTEC.. I definitely don't feel any VTEC..

Its not gunna be felt without exhaust... then you MIGHT feel it. Bigger cam also helps. Its 100 whp, what do you expect?

i do have an aftermarket exhaust. 2.5" inlet to a 3.5" outlet and a test pipe soon to come along with headers (i/h/e ftw). i can hear when VTEC would crack at. but i thought it would've been more noticeable.

so once i get more WHP i will notice a more significant difference?

(EDIT: like i will notice when VTEC kicks in?)

thanks.

dude it s a sohc motor, your not goin g to feel it, and your i/h/e might give you 5-10 whp. If you want more power out of your sohc you have 2 options

Boost or High comp + spray. As far as noticing it... not really on stock cams, get some larger profile cams and possibly, but only with supporting modifications.

dude it s a sohc motor, your not goin g to feel it, and your i/h/e might give you 5-10 whp. If you want more power out of your sohc you have 2 options

Boost or High comp + spray. As far as noticing it... not really on stock cams, get some larger profile cams and possibly, but only with supporting modifications.

yeah i plan on building it and eventually turbo after i do so.

thanks for your help.

i was just seriously confused cause everyone makes VTEC seem like the sickest thing so i just wasn't sure if i had it or not.

thanks again!

EDIT: what are some other supporting mods can i make? cams, pistons, cam gear and what else?

nobody older then 18 that i know makes a big deal out of vtec. at this point most auto manufacturers use a licensed version of it in their cars. gm has been using it since the early 90's, almost before honda put it on the street in large numbers.

with an aftermarket i/h/e you won't feel it engage but you should at least be able to hear the airflow increase through the aftermarket air filter.

nobody older then 18 that i know makes a big deal out of vtec. at this point most auto manufacturers use a licensed version of it in their cars. gm has been using it since the early 90's, almost before honda put it on the street in large numbers.

with an aftermarket i/h/e you won't feel it engage but you should at least be able to hear the airflow increase through the aftermarket air filter.

yeah i can. thanks

On my d16z6 del sol with headers, intake , full Tsudo exhaust u can here it at like 4rpm.....its goes bwaaaaaah to BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

VTEC usually kicks in at ~5500 on d16's but okay :)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived