Is it time to throw in the towel?

hartwerger

I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX, 5 speed manual, with 189,000 miles +. Over the last year I've spent close to $2k in repairs. A new starter, brakes, window motor were all in the mix and then some. Now I need a new radiator and ball joint suspension. Estimated cost is $900. I also need new tires. I'm still on my first clutch so who knows how much more mileage I'll get before its time to replace. I'm trying to decide whether its worth the expense to keep throwing money at my car and looking for advice. It just seems like the need for repairs is becoming more frequent and I feel its a gamble to keep putting money into it at this point. Still, something deep in my heart tells me "you can keep it going; this baby has got an easy 250k miles in it". And it may have a good 250k miles in it, but at what cost? I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what to do: keep it or let it go. Any thoughts on how to weigh this decision would be appreciated. Thanks

Really depends on if you want to do some work yourself. Every Accord I have met has no problems running indefinitely as long as the owner has the time, tools and will to fix it.

As for ball joints and radiator being $900 that sounds like a Chain store price. Who gave you that quote? Have you shopped around for competitive price quotes?

Archived