CV axle question

Hey guys. Getting ready to change out the driver side CV on my 3.0CL. Was wondering if there is anything special I need to know about changing one on an automatic. Do I leave the car in park or does it need to be in neutral? Ive done 4 or 5 on previous cars but they were all 5sp. Dont want to get halfway into doin it and realize I failed to do something that was needed.

I've only changed axles on my auto camry and it was pretty simple and for the most part just like my sol. maybe for the sake of lineing it up easier neutral might be better...but regardless I doubt it'll be different.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Getting ready to change out the driver side CV on my 3.0CL. Was wondering if there is anything special I need to know about changing one on an automatic. Do I leave the car in park or does it need to be in neutral? Ive done 4 or 5 on previous cars but they were all 5sp. Dont want to get halfway into doin it and realize I failed to do something that was needed.

I am not sure whether you are intending to service the existing CV joint or exchange the axle for one that has been overhauled. If you are going to try servicing the unit, mark things as suggested just for piece of mind and make a note of the position of things as you take it apart. If you buy a remanufactured one, it should be in balance & etc, but make sure to compare it to the unit you will turn in as a core to make sure that is is the correct one.

When I changed axles on an '86 Accord automatic and a '94 Accord 5 speed things were pretty much the same, but be careful not to damage the ball joint in the lower control arm. You will need a tool to get things apart to get at the axle. If you damage the 'rubber' cover on the ball joint you will need to replace it and pack the cover with a good quality grease so that dirt, water and so on won't get in there and cause you problems with it later.

You might inspect the brake pads while you are in there just to be sure that they have enough left.

<div><br></div><div>P.S. make sure to put something in the hole in the transaxle where the axle/half shaft goes in so that junk does not get into it while you have the axle out.</div>

• 3 months later...

Archived