electric supercharging

Drop Shock

I'm looking to gain more low-end torque for my del sol si but at the same time not spending $2k+ to do it. What are your thoughts on electical supercharging del sols? or just electrical surperchargers in general.

Edit: my thoughts are that if an electircal supercharger can give me between 25-45 more horsepower than I would be stupid to do what i originally planned on doing which was to do a b16 engine swap which would give me close to the same horsepower

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the electrical supercharger is what I think it is you can just send me the $25 in a gift card right now. Because that is the same amount of benefit you will get from installing it on your del sol and I will get to buy something nice instead of some slaver in China getting richer.

There is no shortcut to going faster. The thing you need to remember with all the advertisements for parts that add horsepower is that the ads are all rigged. A normal, stock-ish car will usually lose HP when you install one of those parts.

Do you even know how a supercharger works? Do you know how a compressor works?

Obviously not if your thinking about an "electronic supercharger" which is just a bilge fan which does not increase pressure in the intake arm, and actually they obstruct the airflow in the intake arm, robbing power.

The problem with electric supercharging is that there is no free lunch. Meaning, that if you had an electric motor that could generate the pressure needed to achieve several PSI above atmospheric pressure on the intake side of your engine, said motor must get power from somewhere. The power would need to be generated on board OR stored ahead of time in batteries.

On board means a HUGE alternator which draws power directly from the very engine you are trying to boost. Because of heat loss to friction and conversion of energy, you'd steal more power from the motor to drive the air pump than you'd produce with the small amount of increased pressure.

Batteries have another problem, mainly weight. Batteries are very heavy and you have to haul all that extra weight around even when not using the "boost" provided by the pump. On top of that, you'd still have to charge the batteries either with a large alternator on board or by external charger of some sort.

Bottom line, electric driven superchargers just aren't effective given current technology. To make one work would require huge expense and weight so it's just makes more sense invest in a proven mechanically driven system. Mechanical superchargers and turbo chargers also have some parasitic drag on a motor, they just make up for it, and much more, by being more efficient than the electrical method. They are more efficient because they convert mechanical energy directly to positive pressure at your intake with having to convert energy from menchanical to electrical then back to mechanical to create pressure.

Of course, the above is a VERY simplified explanation...

thanks dude. that actually helped.

and to cmgogo I kow how superchargers and compressors work and obviously if I had any knowledge of electronic superchargers I wouldnt have made a post on it. I was just told about them from someone at my school and I decided that a more reliable source than wikipedia would be to look on here.

The video I saw that MAY actually be somewhat true, showed a $400-500, 850cfm (maybe double what the base engine could hope to flow naturally), commercial, gas driven, back pack leaf blower plumbed into the intake of a Ford Ranger. They claim 15 HP at the rear wheel on a dyno. Sounds good until you figure the power required to drive that back pack blower, where to fit such a thing under the hood, and then there is extra 40-50 lbs to haul around.

Funny part was the truck would not start after removing the blower. I'm guessing they leaned out the fuel mixture and detonated the motor to death. That points out one other issue with cheap, easy "supercharging". If you do actually manage to add significantly more air, you also need more fuel, otherwise BOOM!

I'm still betting they were a BIT optimistic in their 15HP estimate that was never shown in the video, of course. PLus, they've spent $500 and haven't solved any of the packaging or engineering issues yet.

there is a video on streetfire (probably youtube also) about some guys with an S10 and they hook a leaf blower up to it... it helps (on a dyno and the guy is holding the blower) actually very funny.

this was why I asked if they worked or not lol I saw that same thing on youtube.

so basically from what you've all written and what I have NOW read about electronic superchargers I can see why gogo got a little fiery about me wanting to put one in lol

thanks guys smile.gif

and Im not denying I need to learn a crap load more about cars. I literally bought my first "real" car not 4 weeks ago lol my car before my del sol was a 91 toyota corolla. I didnt really feel obligated to read up on how things worked. I am a complete new comer to cars and I plan on reading alot more

Keep posting your odd questions and we will keep flaming you as we respond. Keep in mind none of it is personal, we've just all been down this road 100+ times and what is new to you is old hat for us. Ignore the sarcasm and ask anyway.

lol I understand. And thats the exact reason I like this site. I know that the people here are very expierenced and can give me alot of information. I just dont understand if you have the knowledge and someone asks you for it, why you would direct them somewhere else. It just doesnt make sense to me. but anyway I'll take the flame lol im sure there will be more to come.

lol I understand. And thats the exact reason I like this site. I know that the people here are very expierenced and can give me alot of information. I just dont understand if you have the knowledge and someone asks you for it, why you would direct them somewhere else. It just doesnt make sense to me. but anyway I'll take the flame lol im sure there will be more to come.

It's like these guys think they are the gatekeepers. There's plenty of places to get the info you need. I come here because I'm an anthropologist doing a study on primitive cultures...

oh boy, captain hawaii is back haha

Nah man, i come off as an butthead usualy, just realize that what you really should do is hit up the stickies on here and on d-series.org, they will awnser just about every question you could ever ask.

oh boy, captain hawaii is back haha

Nah man, i come off as an butthead usualy, just realize that what you really should do is hit up the stickies on here and on d-series.org, they will awnser just about every question you could ever ask.

cmgogo!!! You're one of the guys that makes this forum worth visiting. Took some time off. Lost a good friend. His name is Andy Irons. Google it and you will see what an impact it had on the island I live on. Hope things are well for you bro. Peace.

lol thank you sir. im not too sure who that guy from hawaii is talking about due to the excess of pronouns but alright dude lol

I'm definitely not referring to cmgogo. He's doesn't act like an elitest. He just gives it to you straight. Being such a noob, you should learn to appreciate that. To conclude, of course you wouldn't know who I am talking about directly because of my use of pronouns you redundant moron. If you're going to insist on being ignorant and displaying it, prepare yourself for abuse...

I'm definitely not referring to cmgogo. He's doesn't act like an elitest. He just gives it to you straight. Being such a noob, you should learn to appreciate that. To conclude, of course you wouldn't know who I am talking about directly because of my use of pronouns you redundant moron. If you're going to insist on being ignorant and displaying it, prepare yourself for abuse...

awh crap dude too many big words for me man. I guess I should just go slit my wrists because I'm so stupid.

Just saying though. I believe I just thanked cmgogo for his advice. Also, I believe I stated prior to your quote that I just posted my question on here because I didn't feel like searching thought things. So the whole "these guys think they are the gatekeepers" statement is completely irrelevant. Oh, and you probably should use more proper nouns from now own. See how you said "I'm definitely not referring to cmgogo" and I knew exactly who you were talking about? Makes things alot easier for redundant morons like me.

EDIT: Oh and the proper way to conclude something is to say "In conclusion" not "To conclude"...

awh crap dude too many big words for me man. I guess I should just go slit my wrists because I'm so stupid.

Just saying though. I believe I just thanked cmgogo for his advice. Also, I believe I stated prior to your quote that I just posted my question on here because I didn't feel like searching thought things. So the whole "these guys think they are the gatekeepers" statement is completely irrelevant. Oh, and you probably should use more proper nouns from now own. See how you said "I'm definitely not referring to cmgogo" and I knew exactly who you were talking about? Makes things alot easier for redundant morons like me.

EDIT: Oh and the proper way to conclude something is to say "In conclusion" not "To conclude"...

Sure buddy. Ya got me there. You are brilliant. NOT!

lol says the guy who deleted his post twice before thinking of that great comeback

I deleted a much nastier reply because I decided to take a higher road. I try to stay away from engaging in these types of dynamics with mental invalids like yourself. Do yourself a favor and run away. I'll fricken destroy you. By this time I've gotten all your info and am ready to start my moves. Beware what you say and who to. I've heard there are a lot of hackers on this site. I'm just sayin'...

Archived