Water Issues Inside of Car

OldSchool007

I just took my car through a high pressure car wash for the first time today and found out I have a bit of a water problem. The first issue I noticed was during the wash when water started trickling from under the passenger side dash and pooling in the footwell. Luckily I have all weather mats in the car and it caught most of the water. I'm thinking this could be coming from the seal around the windshield as there are a few questionable places on it. Besides the seal, are there any other areas that I need to check around the front of the car? Is this a common issue in Del Sols?

The second area is somewhere between the passenger compartment and trunk. I heard water sloshing inside the car when I pulled out of the car wash, and when I got out to check it out there was a steady stream of water running out from under the car a little ways before the rear tires on the passenger side. I immediately popped the trunk, and there was some water trickling into the spare tire well from both corners of the trunk closest to the passenger compartment. Any ideas where the water is coming from, and what do I need to do to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing the water in the trunk is from the "wings" on the side behind the rear window. The holes where the clips mount that hold those plastic trim panels on tend to leak after a while. Especially if they have been taken off and the flat neoprene looking seal has been left off, torn, or just plain wears out over time. Don't forget the one on the inside edge between the rear side of the trunk lid and the outer side panel. It's also possible this water is from the antenna mounting hole or the third brake like mounting bosses. Some silicone in place of the neoprene seals worked for me. Make sure the drains are open near the base of the back window too. These can back up and cause a leak.

The interior water could easily be a hole in the windshield rubber as you say, but may also be a targa panel leak that is running down the inside of the a pillar or a loose fitting/missing/torn firewall grommet.

In the areas you suspect, use a simply garden hose and run water in a controlled manner to test various locations for the leak. Make sure you run water for long enough to get the leak to show itself. If it's only under high pressure situations, it's going to be harder to find, but on the up side, it should not be an issue if you stay out of high pressure car washes. laugh.gif

Good luck. Water leaks are a pain, but they are an unfortunate reality for these cars. They didn't get the nickname Del Siv for nothing...

I've been doing a little more research online, and based on where the water is coming from it sounds like it could either be the sail panes or water is backing up from the window compartment. I heard sloshing when I first pulled out of the car wash, but it was no longer there after I got out and inspected everything. I'm thinking the drains are free enough for the water to run out, but there is something in there keeping them from draining quickly.

I'll try your suggestion on the windshield tomorrow and see what I can come up with....The molding around the windshield looks like it has been cut and repaired in several areas, and there is bunch of black sealant up around the top on the passenger side that looks like it may be ineffective. I'm thinking it may not be a bad idea to go ahead and have a window guy come out and replace the seal and molding. Do you know if it is one piece, or is there a kit Honda offers that would have everything in it?

Thanks!

I'm Make sure the drains are open near the base of the back window too. These can back up and cause a leak.

Where exactly are those rear window drains? Do you have to roll the rear window down to find them? I found water in the interior storage compartments behind the seats and I think the water is coming in somewhere around the rear window possibly in through the drains you describe.

Thanks

The drains I am talking about are at the junction of the outside rear window and the plastic trim panel between the window and the trunk lid. Right under the corner of the triangle shaped trim panel on each side of the trunk/rear window, there is a drain hole that can get filled with tree droppings etc... Stuff collects at the bottom of the rear window and washes into these drains sometimes clogging them up. There is a trim screw on the inside between the trunk lid and the trim panel that must be removed before the trim panel can come loose. Make sure you get that one or it's easy to snap the mounting tab off before you realize it.

• 4 weeks later...

bringing up a dead thread cause i can

do you have pics of said drain holes.. i read it like 3 times but i want to make sure i dont break crap

ive been cursed with the slosh sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! want it fixed asap

I opened the trunk and pulled carpet piece up.. looked a little wet in the back of the trunk

you guys are gay. dont even take pictures for me

anywhoo its draining but slowly.. out of the sideskirt part.. read something about takin side skirt off and pulling drain plug.. cant do it in the apartment.. guess it'll have to wait

massive rain storms -> fail

I didnt hear the slooshy sound this morning.. but we are getting more rain today :(

you guys are gay. dont even take pictures for me

anywhoo its draining but slowly.. out of the sideskirt part.. read something about takin side skirt off and pulling drain plug.. cant do it in the apartment.. guess it'll have to wait

massive rain storms -> fail

I didnt hear the slooshy sound this morning.. but we are getting more rain today :(

yeah the rear drain tubes dump right through a hole in the side skirt(each side)..I recommend extending the passenger side one because it dumps the water inside the quarter panel and not out of it..If you take out the rear side floor plastic panels you can inspect the tubes etc. I'm just getting this now and would have taken pix two days ago,...but my interior is all back together now.

maybe im just being dumb but what rear side plastic panels

and it dumb it into the quarter panel? gay.. looked like it was dripping out of the side skirt also

I also read that to clean any of the tubes you have to take our the rear winder assembly?

maybe im just being dumb but what rear side plastic panels

and it dumb it into the quarter panel? gay.. looked like it was dripping out of the side skirt also

I also read that to clean any of the tubes you have to take our the rear winder assembly?

umm..the corner pieces with the 'vents' and yeah that water is why there is a big issue with the panels rusting from the inside out..I'll be pulling the tubes out of the skirt soon. I don't care if it looks like a dingle-berry...

I've heard that too about removing the window..I haven't had to on any of my sols. hopefully never do. But I'm sure if you put an air fitting on the bottom side of the hose it'll blow the crap up and out of the tube, in theory..?..

LOL

I still cant think of the corner pieces you are talking about.. inside the car right? wacko.gif

I dont want my car to rust :( its been through too much already!

I just hate the fact i cant really do anything to the car.. we are already only allowed to have 1 guest per roommate in the apartment (and that doesnt mean if one room mate is gone i can have two people over) because some of the other *MORONS* i work with have been having parties in coorporate housing and acting like stupid kids

we were all told we better be model apartment citizens from now until the internship is over.. mean no working on cars in the parking lotlaugh.gif or in the house (they said that too)

Unless the discussion moved in a different direction, I believe he means that there are drain holes near or under the pieces labeled as part # 17 in the diagram:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13sr201_b4210.png (OR http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=DEL+SOL&catcgry2=1995&catcgry3=2DR+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=MOLDING+-+PROTECTOR)

If you happen to break those trim pieces, I have two new ones sitting in my garage. Was positive a while back that I cracked one on my old Sol... my Sol either healed itself, or I was hallucinating this crack for a while... after I got the pieces, the crack was no longer there.

Archived