New Member old question

slamtrack

I have a base model 1995 civic hatch back i just bought getting away from the foxbodies i have always wanted to try a Honda out so i have a couple of questions im sure that have been answered a million times but i cant find them

First off wich motor is best to go with with power and price in consideration also are these Japanese websites that sell them legit? I currently have the 1.5b i think and the throw out is going bad so i figure i should start with the motor/clutch/tranny i mean i know the integra R motor would be nice but i plan to put some boost on the motor soon along with a cam combo also i understand those are impossible to get and expensive as hell.

SO wich one?

also should i go ahead and have the motor they send me machined/ decked while its out or are they usually pretty good to go

also does any one have a site they would recommend Thanks for any help

Your right.. it has been answered plenty of times.. you cant get a straight unbiased answer either.. depends on money/time/know how

these were right in the engine tuning section:

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/topic/13646-types-of-swaps/

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/topic/468-jdm-honda-motor-specs/

read those along with the other 209384039 write ups on b and d swaps (or k and h if you have the money) and make a decision yourself

for example: i'd say go D because i think its dumb to spend so much on a b for not much extra power.. i also think its dumb to put an excessive amount of power in a honda.. cause its a fwd honda.. it could be good in autocrosses but wheel hop and traction issues become a huge problem.. not to mention putting extra weight on the front making understeer worse (such as an h swap)

david and cmogo will agree about the d or turbo d16 or d15

also if you HAVE a d15b then you have a vtec jdm awesome spec motor.. but you probably have a d15b2.. which is a slow non vtec gas saver (someone correct me if my engine codes are screwy)

brian will say go b18 or go home.. his friend on here will probably agree

etc etc... its all personal views and what YOU want and what you are capable of doing

as far as motor sites.. you realize there are 293498 sites that import motors? we can not possibly tell you what is good and what is not.. and they are full of crap about miles on the motor.. its all a guess.. whatever motor you get you better change timing belt/water pump before it even goes in the car

most people on here will tell you hmotors, tigerjapanese (idk about them though.. i know multiple people who have gotten fracked motors from them), i got my ZC from japanese star and it was/is great

its funny sarah you know me and brian to well...... i would go with a b motor or if you hvae the money then i would do a K but K swap get a little pricey so yea. but if you are thinking about boost then you are going to drop a bit of money into it... but im not the person to talk to about boost i dont konw much about it

I just think its bs when i was looking at motor places for the supras an rb25det was LESS then a b16.. WTF! ~250+hp for $500+ LESS then a what 160hp motor?

as for a kswap.. was talking to a guy at the track (these guy raced professionally) that had a kswap civic.. said it was too much money for not much.. he said it was fun but still eh

and h's weigh more.. which leads to more understeer.. if you never plan on making faster turn in the car it doesnt matter i suppose

but of course i'm a firm believer in hondas can be fun but i would never build one as a serious race car

ok good start ty for all the good information folks , il check thoes links and sites out and get started and yes my motor is the non vtec gas saver, it just has 235k on the clock so i really am not gonna waiste my money on that motor and or any motor with that much milage with out a serious overhaul

actually you read my mind, i was thinking about having the block checked out and just buying a rotating Assembly getting a bigger cam and decking the block a bit, i wouldn't think having a VTEC model would make any difference if im messing with the cam any way, the only thing is if i do that im gonna have to go through the tranny too wich i just seen that a motor my type (even with Vtec ) is about $550 with ( elegidly ) 20-30k on the clock but i would imagine if im gonna mess with the cam profiles wouldn't the Vtec actually mess the cam timing up when the Vtec rocker locked in?

Your right.. it has been answered plenty of times.. you cant get a straight unbiased answer either.. depends on money/time/know how

these were right in the engine tuning section:

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/topic/13646-types-of-swaps/

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/topic/468-jdm-honda-motor-specs/

read those along with the other 209384039 write ups on b and d swaps (or k and h if you have the money) and make a decision yourself

for example: i'd say go D because i think its dumb to spend so much on a b for not much extra power.. i also think its dumb to put an excessive amount of power in a honda.. cause its a fwd honda.. it could be good in autocrosses but wheel hop and traction issues become a huge problem.. not to mention putting extra weight on the front making understeer worse (such as an h swap)

david and cmogo will agree about the d or turbo d16 or d15

also if you HAVE a d15b then you have a vtec jdm awesome spec motor.. but you probably have a d15b2.. which is a slow non vtec gas saver (someone correct me if my engine codes are screwy)

etc etc... its all personal views and what YOU want and what you are capable of doing

as far as motor sites.. you realize there are 293498 sites that import motors? we can not possibly tell you what is good and what is not.. and they are full of crap about miles on the motor.. its all a guess.. whatever motor you get you better change timing belt/water pump before it even goes in the car

most people on here will tell you hmotors, tigerjapanese (idk about them though.. i know multiple people who have gotten fracked motors from them), i got my ZC from japanese star and it was/is great

I read ur replys thats some good info. So the d15b2 is a slow gas saver motor...whats the d15b7??...same as cmgogo just in a 4dr civic

BAAHAHAHAHA laugh.gif

i will say b or k over d series anyday.. i mean my b18 with 4 bolt ons and a tune has beat alot of cars that alot of hondas around in the high desert wont.. ex: G35, G37, evo 8 (stock), gsr CRX, b20 ef hatch, b20 vtec eg coupe, lsvtec integra, etc

honestly id love to see a K24/k20 in a del sol!!

id give up my turbo kit and b18c full swap for a k24/k20 full swap.. k swaps do cost alot but i think theyre worth it, they respond to mods really well.. like my friends k20 EK hatch has 215whp 158ft-lb and all he has is I/H/E and a skunk 2 intake manifold..

same with a b series, they kind of pricey if you dont know where to shop or if you buy highend parts like HKS purple/teal cam gears, ANY jasma parts (lol)... you can get alot of good parts that make power for reasonable prices. you just have to know where to look or know the right people.. hell im got JE pistons for my b18 for $300, im getting gopower connecting rods for $240 that handle up to 800hp..

and if you plan on getting a b series and going boost i can help you with whatever problems you may run into.. ive boosted my car once and ran into alot of problems but this time im taking my time and doing everything the right way and not in a rush.. oh and if you have a b18c1 or b16a and plan on boosting a little hint, get ITR or CTR cams for mild turbo setups they add 10 - 15whp on 8 to 15psi..

and yes d series are cheap to build and can make power, i just think you have to do too much to them to get any power out of them.. the only thing i would have d series would be a mini me setup.. but that would just be for a semi quick daily driver

but its your car and your build so i say do what you want and what you can afford.. smile.gif

Archived