New project car. Not sure what direction to go.

j_link

I just got a 1996 honda Prelude Si. it has a bad motor which i have already pulled from the car. I'm just not sure what direction to go with it. I have thought about putting a h22 in it, but the head from mine is still good, and would cost alot less money to just replace the block and pistons the h23a1. The previous owner trashed the engine on this one, punched a hole in the block, when he grenaded the number 4 rod. First time i have seen a connecting rod take itself off the crankshaft. Anyways feel free to leave your ideas on what route I could take on this car.

img0148y.jpg

img0150oh.jpg

Motor out of car

img0154jg.jpg

Whats left of the rod.

img0153v.jpg

Hole in block, small but enough to render block useless.

img0155q.jpg

It depends are you keeping or doing up to resell? If for resell what did you pay for it??

probably going to resell it, so I'm thinking to just rebuild. At $900 its not to bad a price, for the car.

probably going to resell it, so I'm thinking to just rebuild. At $900 its not to bad a price, for the car.

I would of paid that in a heart beat my friend! Look at my thread on being a Honda whore! I picked that up for $500.00 and already have it sold for $3K!!! Yeah for resell I would go on the cheap. Still reliable and all, but no sense in dumping more money that may not make that big of a difference on selling price.

If you're not going to keep it, I'd just rebuild it as it was and flip it to someone else. It looks like its in pretty good shape aside from those horrible fenders and the obvious engine troubles, so I don't see why you couldn't get 3-4 times what you paid for it if it was rebuilt maybe even more. '96's up here are still going for 3-6k and they're in questionable condition. With a rebuilt motor someone will snap it up.

If I were local I'd buy it "as is" tomorrow for a project.

If you decide to keep it, well.. the possibilities are almost endless.. you have to stay within the confines of physics and your finances of course.

:dry: jeeze I wish I could find something like that to play around with.

i would BUY another motor vs rebuilding the one with a hole in it.

just saying

New motor, around $700-$1000

Already have all the parts neede to rebuild this one, including a replacment block and crank, $450.

not worth buying a new motor.

• 1 month later...

Latest update.

Thank you for the help and advice on this car. I sold it this week for $4800.00 after a bidding war between two people. They both really wanted the car.

here was the final result.

dscn0824b.jpg

dscn0819f.jpg

dscn0823v.jpg

dscn0805.jpg

:p Was I right? Or was I right?

It looks beautiful (aside from the fenders).

Congratulations on the sale, and congratulations to the lucky bastard who bought it. I hope they take care of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived