How long before transmission fluid change?

seg9585

I have a 2008 Civic LX (Automatic) with 31k miles.

I was at the dealer today and was told they recommend getting a tranny fluid change every 15,000 mi. That sounded really excessive to me, so I checked the manual which states I should change every 60k miles. However, for most cars the rule of thumb (I thought) was 30k.

So, which is accurate? Should I be getting a transmission fluid change right now (at 31k) to keep it in good condition? More specifically, if I wait much longer could this damage the transmission?

i just do mine once a year when i do my spring cleaning (all fluids, check belts, inspect clutch, check hoses, clean filter, clean and recoat the under carridge, pull out seats and carpet and clean the floorpan, etc) Keeps my transmission buttery.

15k is pretty steep.

every two years or 30k is probably closer to industry standard recommendation.

if the service manual says 60k and the dealership says 15k ask the service manager why they are recommending something so wildly different then what the builder of the car even recommends. transmission fluid change is not really expensive, or a novice can usually do it themselves in a short afternoon. at the very least make the service manager work for your money. Often, if you would ask an open ended question like that you can tell if they are trying to milk you by how vague their responses are.

Archived