my trans just got real loud.

jason929

its a 1997 dx civic 5 speed. 155,000 miles on it. new timing belt at 95k and all other maintenence has been done on time.

the trans is quiet when the clutch is in but as soon as i let it out either in neutral or in any gear it gets real noisy, like a bearing noise. any ideas?

its a 1997 dx civic 5 speed. 155,000 miles on it. new timing belt at 95k and all other maintenence has been done on time.

the trans is quiet when the clutch is in but as soon as i let it out either in neutral or in any gear it gets real noisy, like a bearing noise. any ideas?

Throw out bearing most likely, has clutch been replaced?

eh i was gonna go with both bearings that they listed. is it like a metal on metal rubbing noise when u let the clutch out? if so thats the throw out bearing. with it having the origional clutch just replace everything including the flywheel. i just did mine this past weekend lol

thats not 100% true. when my dads clutch is out you can hear his TO bearing grinding. its not always definite and we really wont know till he pulls the transmission and looks. its not too hard to change the TO bearing

thats not 100% true. when my dads clutch is out you can hear his TO bearing grinding. its not always definite and we really wont know till he pulls the transmission and looks. its not too hard to change the TO bearing

yeah i know that's just a general rule. since he has the original clutch and original TOB, which from what i've seen will fail eventually, might as well change it now and not have to worry about it for another 100k+ miles.

jason, you do plan on changing it yourself right?

big time. my clutch,pressure plate,flywheel, pilot and throw out bearing were 207.00 total after taxes. 800 for a clutch is the biggest rip off period

Well considering most shops are now $80-100 a hours, and parts are marked up 20% sometimes higher, thats probably about average. Sucks to be without skilz thats for sure! :blush: If you were close......... :thumbsup:

clutch out = input shaft bearing

clutch in = throw out bearing

this would be correct

eh i was gonna go with both bearings that they listed. is it like a metal on metal rubbing noise when u let the clutch out? if so thats the throw out bearing. with it having the origional clutch just replace everything including the flywheel. i just did mine this past weekend lol

this would be incorrect. you really dont know what your talking about demon buddy , and dont get me wrong i like you , lol , and you shouldnt give advice when yournot sure. this site in particular is bad for that. you dont ever have to replace a flywheel unless its been machined so many times its too thin. if the clutch doesnt slip and it still has meat on it , leave it be. dont fix it if it aint broken. putting a clutch in these is a joke.

well weve shot 7/7 when we hear the metal on metal grinding its always the TO. i didnt say it was 100% for him, also i stated earlier in the thread we wouldnt really know until he pulls the transmission and looks(and it was ok so i admit my mistake). and i wasnt giving advice on what was wrong, i was just giving ideas. the advice i gave was indeed replacing the flywheel, you dont HAVE to, but its best to have it turned/machined while its out. but sometimes shops can be backed up(just like in my case,wasnt waiting a week for a machine job when i can spend $70 and have a new one). just like him replacing all the bearings in the transmission, it was a good idea while it was out. and by all means if the clutch has pad left use it. but i just go by general rule, if you have everything apart and out. why not replace it all together? that way something doesnt go bad down the road and your back in it again(even though most of these last forever).

but im still waiting on what the problem was..all ive heard so far is to is fine and bearings in transmission were replaced....id replace pressure plate too, just to be one the safe side. but its up to you

and i wont lie, i dont know everything about cars, i dont claim to. i just give ideas. nobody really knows what the problem is until you tear it apart and fix it

Every clutch I do I replace flywheel (only costs $50.00 these days) axle seals, and of course whole clutch kit. I even replace the master and slave cylinders because they are so damned cheap, especially on a 140K miles plus car. I never reuse jack! :thumbsup: Also drain old fluid out of course! I have had throw out bearings make noise without clutch pedal pushed down, and out of the 3 clutches I have put in the last 1.5 years the throw out bearing was the problem 2 out of the 3. The other one was a spring coming completely out of clutch disc, almost like Dave's would have. Alot of the times the clutch discs them selves besides being dirty, you cant tell the difference thickness wise from new one. I have yet to have a failed pilot bearing be the problem on any of the others I have done.

you guys do whatever you would like , lol. was an observation opinion well call it , lol. you guys wanna replace parts that dont need it , power to you. it is however more cost to the customer in my case. and like i said , if its not broken dont fix it. replacing a flywheel is just rediculous , for 2 reasons. most aftermarket clutchs require a different "step" than stock. so even if you bought a brand new one from the dealer and srapped er on and it was the wrong spec step for the clutch , it will wear prematurely and possibly not function properly at all. second reason i already stated , its a piece of fuking metal , it dont wear out , lol. you scrap a layer off , TAADAAAA , new again , lol.

you can replace all you want "jack" , lol. thats funny replacing slaves and masters on a clutch job , haha. good show.

you guys do whatever you would like , lol. was an observation opinion well call it , lol. you guys wanna replace parts that dont need it , power to you. it is however more cost to the customer in my case. and like i said , if its not broken dont fix it. replacing a flywheel is just rediculous , for 2 reasons. most aftermarket clutchs require a different "step" than stock. so even if you bought a brand new one from the dealer and srapped er on and it was the wrong spec step for the clutch , it will wear prematurely and possibly not function properly at all. second reason i already stated , its a piece of fuking metal , it dont wear out , lol. you scrap a layer off , TAADAAAA , new again , lol.

you can replace all you want "jack" , lol. thats funny replacing slaves and masters on a clutch job , haha. good show.

The parts at my friends cost are minimal, and I like having new shiit, if you can afford it at the time I say do it. I am talking about personal preference, on my cars. When ever some one can manage to get me to do one for them I give them 3 prices. The way I listed above, the bare min. , and the all out light weight flywheel, performance clutch kit, and etc.

im not saying they do need replaced, hell my flywheel could have been reused, but i didnt have the time to wait on a machine shop to machine it. hence new flywheel, and i can have it machined later and sell it for half profit if not more. it is more cost in the first place, but its better than replacing half of it and something breaking from wear and in turn breaking the parts you just put in. i think this guy is going the route i went and getting OEM, which he can use stock flywheel, no biggie. by no means am i bitchin at ya cran, i just look at it from jasons point of view, he hates having a car down and doesnt want it to happen again. so why not replace it all why you are in there. kinda makes sense and it will cost more, but thats less you have to worry about down the road, better safe than sorry :)

Archived