better buy? CRX or Del Sol

PluralBus

So i've got a dilemma and i'm not sure where to get a good answer (so this seemed like a good place!). I'm in the market for a good used car for college/work and i'm pretty sure i want to buy either a CRX or a del sol. Now i know the del sol is kind of a follow up/later model of the CRX, but i dont really know if it is a better vehicle.

So my question is which would be a better purchase? The CRX seems to have better room/MPG but i cant go completely without performance, does the Del Sol have a better performance than a CRX/Si? and does anyone know if there is anything particularly bad about either car?

The crx and the sol are very similar mechanical wise, so really its based on looks.

i say go for the sol. there is a surprising amount of room inside, the back window rolls down, big trunk, and the roof comes off

CRX will have a bit better performance than a comparable Del Sol simply because of how much less it'll weigh.. The Sol is a bit more modern, and the seats are great. If you want a good looking, surprisingly practical convertible, go with the Sol. If you'd prefer not to have to worry about the occasional drip getting into the car, and plan on toting a lot of junk around, go with the CRX.

And Colter, why'd you close the one in the Sol section? Everyone knows that HF is dominated by Sol folk.

*edit*

Come to think of it... a Del Sol VTEC trim will probably be far and away better performing than a top of the line stock CRX...

Ok, just wiki'd it, evidently the second gen CRX with the B16A1 is now a Lamborghini Gallardo... Anyway, Del Sol VTEC is probably going to be more powerful than any USDM CRX.

I say crx I own 2 and love them both, never owned a sol but I like those also.

Point is get what YOU want and like trust me you'll love that decsion.

I've had 4 CRX's and since going to 2 Sol's I dont even like the CRX anymore. I recently bought one, thought I was either going to buy it, and drive as a DD as I restored my current Del Sol, or sell for profit. Well I just didn't like the feel of the CRX anymore. Feels like a tin can, not overly impressed with the handling. As far as styling, I think the Sol wins hands down. :thumbsup:

yeah but the sol's are fat asses lol. not to light for a 2 seater

i say go with the crx, spice up the interior a bit to make it look nice, then start building some power. dont be fooled tough, each little bit of power will be great with the crx being so light

i say go with the crx, spice up the interior a bit to make it look nice, then start building some power. dont be fooled tough, each little bit of power will be great with the crx being so light

Thats what turbos, and swaps are for! :thumbsup:

For a roadster it's actually about on par... Turns out it only weighs about 100 lbs more than the mid 90's Miata... Sure, compare it to a hard top and it's a bit overweight, but for being topless and made of steel rather than carbon fiber, it's not all that heavy. CRX is ~500 lbs lighter because it's a foot shorter and didn't need a reinforced chassis.

Again comes down to preference, both have pros both have cons. I like sols I think they are nice however prefer a crx like the looks handling and lighter chassis. Doesn't mean it's better than a sol overall.

500lb is a fck load when you are running a little D series. thats like having an extra two of me riding along all the time.

Yes, it is a fair bit, but since the Sol is well-balanced, it's only really gonna make a difference in straight line acceleration.

awesome, this has been really helpful, i think i might be leaning towards a CRX Si just because there is one available near by for a reasonable amount, i've got another question though, for those that know a lot about both cars;

are there any specific problems i should be worried about in either vehicle? anything that almost every model does that i should be looking out for?

thanks for all the help btw

Targa will almost definitely leak a tiny bit every once in a while in a Sol.... apart from that it's really going to depend on the individual car. I will admit, for a college student the Rex is probably best simply because you can buy one for 1/2 the price of a Sol in good condition.

awesome, this has been really helpful, i think i might be leaning towards a CRX Si just because there is one available near by for a reasonable amount, i've got another question though, for those that know a lot about both cars;

are there any specific problems i should be worried about in either vehicle? anything that almost every model does that i should be looking out for?

thanks for all the help btw

HMMMM I know that the CRX's I had sucked balls in the snow compared to my Sol's! :thumbsup: I dont care for the cheaper feel of the interior in Rex's, Way I figure it, is if you are going to have a 2 seater, why not have one where the top comes off, and the cool factor of rear window going down? Huge asssed trunk, even with top in trunk! Have you ever driven one, or looked hard at one?

Damn pearce you're selling me on the sol and Im not even buying right now.

To op: crx will prob leak from seam along top of hatch, sunroof, and or taillights. It's an older car so the leaks are just from bad seals, cracked caulking. Also rust is a factor in the wheel wells and under the side skirts.

i don't want to knock del sols cause as iv stated i think they are better

but do keep in mind del sol's leak a little to from the top being able to come off

my last 2 have leaked, but nothing to bad and im sure it can be worked on and fixed

i don't want to knock del sols cause as iv stated i think they are better

but do keep in mind del sol's leak a little to from the top being able to come off

my last 2 have leaked, but nothing to bad and im sure it can be worked on and fixed

Mine only leaks if you spray high pressure directly into ds seal. Other than that nothing, the nagain I am anal about conditioning my seals! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Archived