sr20de in a civic

civi93ex

you worked for a dealership...not honda. if you worked for honda you would be working at one of thier plants...working for a dealership that sells honda's is a whole different thing.

let me put it this way. the Coke people stock the shelves at the grocery store. that doesnt mean they work for the grocery store, they work for coke. the people at the grocery store sell the coke. they don't work for coke, they just sell it. get it?

ehhh...just forget it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
. Cause the B20 has weak sleeves. My point was it makes more power with less aftermarket parts than that Silvia he talked about, and at a lower psi. Cause they have stronger rods and sleeves.

your the one saying that an engine has more power because it has stronger internals, an engine has strong internals because it is powerful and wont last unless the internals are strong not the other way around

yes if you are rebuilding an engine spring for the new internals, that are forged

"your the one saying that an engine has more power because it has stronger internals, an engine has strong internals because it is powerful and wont last unless the internals are strong not the other way around"

Forging the internals will make no power difference. It will just make them stronger for them to handle more power from the parts you put on. Get it?

Forging them itself makes no power it just makes them stronger to handle more!

you worked for a dealership...not honda. if you worked for honda you would be working at one of thier plants...working for a dealership that sells honda's is a whole different thing.

let me put it this way. the Coke people stock the shelves at the grocery store. that doesnt mean they work for the grocery store, they work for coke. the people at the grocery store sell the coke. they don't work for coke, they just sell it. get it?

ehhh...just forget it.

You take stuff too seriously.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anybody is still checking this thread, but I have a couple comments.

First of all, regarding the original post about an SR20DE into a Civic. I don't know whether you meant that motor, or the SR20DET but I can appreciate the idea. However, I don't understand why you would bother installing a Nissan motor in a Honda. If you want an SR20, buy a 240SX. If you have a Nissan motor in a Honda, you might as well be driving a Nissan, since the motor moving you're car is a Nissan. Honda makes great motors, with plenty of potential and you won't have any difficulty with mounting, weight, electrical, or any other potential problems, so I would just stick with them.

That being said, "SuperStreetRX7",

- Sure you're right that the S14 SR20DET is more expensive than the B16A, but the S13 SR20DET isn't, and it still puts out 35-45hp and about 80ft-lbs of torque more than the B16A1/A2. For the money, you won't be able to do any better with any B16.

- If you wanna buy your H22 and turbo it, you won't get the motor for less than the SR20DET, and the turbo/intercooler upgrade on a SR20DET won't cost any more than the turbo kit w/intercooler on your H22, but the SR20DET will put out at least 20% more power.

- The SR20DET is built for a turbo, and can consistently as well as safely handle more boost compared to Honda's N/A motors. You're going to have to upgrade internals on a Honda motor to keep up with the SR. So can you build a Honda 4-cyl motor to be better than a SR? Sure, but you better have deep pockets, cause its gonna cost you more.

- I don't know whether you drive an RX7 or a Honda, but either way, do some more research on Nissan motors before you start knocking them.

I don't know if anybody is still checking this thread, but I have a couple comments.

First of all, regarding the original post about an SR20DE into a Civic. I don't know whether you meant that motor, or the SR20DET but I can appreciate the idea. However, I don't understand why you would bother installing a Nissan motor in a Honda. If you want an SR20, buy a 240SX. If you have a Nissan motor in a Honda, you might as well be driving a Nissan, since the motor moving you're car is a Nissan. Honda makes great motors, with plenty of potential and you won't have any difficulty with mounting, weight, electrical, or any other potential problems, so I would just stick with them.

That being said, "SuperStreetRX7",

- Sure you're right that the S14 SR20DET is more expensive than the B16A, but the S13 SR20DET isn't, and it still puts out 35-45hp and about 80ft-lbs of torque more than the B16A1/A2. For the money, you won't be able to do any better with any B16.

- If you wanna buy your H22 and turbo it, you won't get the motor for less than the SR20DET, and the turbo/intercooler upgrade on a SR20DET won't cost any more than the turbo kit w/intercooler on your H22, but the SR20DET will put out at least 20% more power.

- The SR20DET is built for a turbo, and can consistently as well as safely handle more boost compared to Honda's N/A motors. You're going to have to upgrade internals on a Honda motor to keep up with the SR. So can you build a Honda 4-cyl motor to be better than a SR? Sure, but you better have deep pockets, cause its gonna cost you more.

- I don't know whether you drive an RX7 or a Honda, but either way, do some more research on Nissan motors before you start knocking them.

1. It is still a stupid idea.

2. B16A SiR 1 - $1,250 <---Winner

.....SR20DEt S13 - $1,350

Of course it has more power, it is .4L larger.

3. SR20DET S14 - $2,500

.....H22A 92-96 - $1,950<---Winner

SR still has more power thanks to the turbo

4. Blitz turbo upgrade S14 - $3,500

.....Full-Race kit H22 - $3,900 (FMIC and equal length manifold)

H22A on log EM and 8psi - 243whp, 191wtq

SR20DET S?? unknown mods - 211whp, 221wtq

Now put the FRTK on the H22 with 12psi and you have over 300whp.

I'm sure people will moan and groan when they have to spend $3,000 more on the H22A after building it to get over 600whp.

5. And? It's built for turbo meaning stronger internals and larger injectors. Your pockets don't have to be deep. There are plenty of members on H-T who have turbo B and H series making over 400whp on a very limited budget.

6. Wow, the thing every n00b says to me when they take offense to what I say. It hurts so bad. I have done my share of research on Nissans.....

....7. When Nissans are running medium amounts of boost (12-20psi) and still get beat by N/A Hondas, that should say something.

8. Have a great and wonderful day now that we're friends. :D

• 2 weeks later...

My prices come from well known internet sites.

Lets see, N/A Hondas beat F/I Nissans by over a second. Do you see any Nissans other than Skylines running 7's?

Nissan will always lose, even with their turbocharged, sequential transmission cars. I'd be embarrassed to have that setup and lose to a N/A Honda with stock internals.

The NSX can have 525WHP for the same amount of money.

So how much money did they dump into that big turbo?

I'm done with this thread. If you want to have a Nissan vs Honda battle, it's too late, Honda already won by 1.3 seconds.

An Sr20DET will not make 525WHP with stock internals and a stock turbo.

I'm not missing the point, it cost less to build a Honda engine then it does a Nissan engine.

If you want to troll, go back to your Nissan forum.

i guess u didnt click on the link i posted...+ your the only one against nissans sr20det here...acura nsx? Isnt that practically honda/acura's best engine? U wanna compare that bs to the midrange sr20det?? I think your the only one on this thread that posted against this whole idea...U only wish you could boost at the same psi stock nissans can.

Thankx im out

1. I looked at the link.

2. I'm against it because it is a stupid swap. I'm simply defending that Hondas are cheaper to fix up.

Im sorry i would like to see a N/A honda hit a 525 rwhp on stock internals and equal to or less money.
You never limited it to a certain car, and the K series is the best Honda engine.

4. I don't wish I could boost at all. Who needs boost when you can beat a boosted sequential transmission Nissan with a N/A Honda that has stock interanls and no milling to the head, and on pump gas?

RX7,

You've tried changing the story every time somebody shows SR20DETs are cheaper to build. People spend a lot of money and effort building N/A Honda motors and they get great results. The Nissan motors people generally spend time tuning are turbo motors. I don't care about the N/A - Turbo issue, the bottom line is that its cheaper to get power from a SR20DET.

I tried telling you the S13 SR20DET is $1350 which is cheaper than the H22A, and you try comparing the S14 motor instead. Well, the S13 SR20DET is $600 cheaper than the H22A and gives 5hp more plus and extra 43ft-lbs of tq. And its still cheaper to upgrade the turbo and get more hp for the money than the H22A.

S13 SR20DET - $1350

Enjuku Racing turbo kit - $2799 ** 393 rwhp about 349 wtq http://www.sr20detperformance.com/turbos.htm

H22A - $1950

you're full race kit - $3900 ** 243 whp 191 wtq

even with the FRTK you'll get you're 300whp at whatever extra cost and you're still less than the SR

TOTAL COST - SR20DET - $4149 - WINNER - $1701 cheaper and 93whp more!!!

- H22A - $5850

The whole thing started related to price and the arguements are that SR20DETs produce more power with the same/less money.

If people had the money to build a 600hp N/A Honda motor, you can bet they wouldn't be bitching about which is cheaper. We're simply saying that SR20DETs are more affordable for the average person if you want power. There are so many factors involved with building 600hp motors and so few people will do that for street use that there's no point in arguing, so give it up.

1. I changed it to an S14 because H22's weren't made during the production time of the S13's.

2. A Full-Race turbo kit yields way more than 243/191.

3. Okay, B20/VTEC vs. turbo upgraded SR20DET (S13). B20/VTEC will have less power, cost less, and go into a much lighter car.

4. I can name over 20 people off the top of my head who have 600whp Hondas that they drive everyday.

5. Putting the cost aside (although the B20/VTEC would be less) the Honda would win in a drag or road race, as they already have. (H-T vs. NF)

1. huh Uhhh yes they were... Unless the first H22 wasn't produced until after '97

2. Full race turbo... Yes... stock internals... no

3. less power....yes...less $$$... no.... besides, its not as efficent

4. Is it constantly at 600hp? Do they NO2 Everyday while they drive? Did it cost alot?

5. wont know till you try rite? Plus was this about who would win or what was cheaper?

1. huh Uhhh yes they were... Unless the first H22 wasn't produced until after '97

2. Full race turbo... Yes... stock internals... no

3. less power....yes...less $$$... no.... besides, its not as efficent

4. Is it constantly at 600hp? Do they NO2 Everyday while they drive? Did it cost alot?

5. wont know till you try rite? Plus was this about who would win or what was cheaper?

1. S13 1989-1993 H22 92+ Off by two years

2. Yes, with stock internals, over 400whp.

3. Less power, yes. Less money, yes. Not as efficient? N/A is way more efficient than F/I. Just look at how much F/I power is lost through the intercooler itself.

4. No, no turbo cars are constantly at 600whp. The 20 I'm talking about don't even have nitrous. Yes, all built turbo cars cost a lot.

5. It was about what is cheaper, which a Honda is. But what good does not spedning money do if you can't win (which N/A Hondas can).

1. Do your homework man! The last year of production of the 180sx (s13 sr20det) was '97! It was sold along side the S14 silvia due to popular demand!!!

2. Not on stock Honda internals.

3. Yes... N/A's are efficient but not hybrid N/A's (I.E. CR-Vtec, LS-Vtec)

4. How much did it cost to get where they are at? Bet cha its more than a SR would have! RE-look at this

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php...tom+end+sr20det

5. Any car can win if its done rite... not just hondas... SRs Get more bang for the buck... I'll admit that as a Former honda owner and a non SR fan! Theyre great engines... just not my cup of tea!

1. Do your homework man! The last year of production of the 180sx (s13 sr20det) was '97! It was sold along side the S14 silvia due to popular demand!!!

2. Not on stock Honda internals.

3. Yes... N/A's are efficient but not hybrid N/A's (I.E. CR-Vtec, LS-Vtec)

4. How much did it cost to get where they are at? Bet cha its more than a SR would have! RE-look at this

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php...tom+end+sr20det

5. Any car can win if its done rite... not just hondas... SRs Get more bang for the buck... I'll admit that as a Former honda owner and a non SR fan! Theyre great engines... just not my cup of tea!

1. Ok, it will cost more because it is newer.

2. Yes, on stock internals. Over 20 H-T members have this kit pushing over 400whp on a completely stock engine.

3. Yes, B20/VTEC and LS/VTEC is just as reliable as any other Honda engine. All of these horror stories you hear are from: faulty build from incompetent backyard garages, stock rod bolts, crapty DIY oil lines. I fail to see how a daily driven B20/VTEC with stock internals that makes 199whp can't be considered efficient, especially when it has no turbo lag or power losses through IC and IC piping.

4. I don't know as I didn't build their engines.

5. Yes, any car can win, just not Nissans against Hondas in this situation.

1. UP TO $200 more.... still cheaper!!!

2. Name them and I will ask them!!! H-T guys are my friends too!!!

3. Point Proven! I can tune a SR in my incompetent backyard garage and still wont have problems

4. Bet cha it was alot...hence SRs ARE CHEAPER!!!

5. What situation? Ok lets have an imaginary test!!! Give a Cash limit... say... $6000

Buy an engine and build it.... lets see what you can make! Jot the prices and power estimate too!

muahahahaha, im no longer banned in this hondaforums.com thing. and superstreetrx7, as you know, everyone from nissanforums.com is comin here to school you. plz do yourself a favor and shut up, there are so many other ppl in this thread that need schooling, too, so you are not alone. :crazy:

You can build any Honda engine to blow the doors off of a Nissan with an SR20DET.

Turn the movie off.

YOU need to turn the movie off, fool.

re-edit:

and another thing, superRx7, in page 2, no crap an nsx will take out a skyline gts, gts is a nonturbo, a rb20de.

civi93ex- you said "...the newer skylines come with the rb26dett..." uh.. r32 is far from new. and then there's r33. with r34 being the latest with the gtr engine. you talk of nissan, but you dont know crap.

honda whips out a TYPE-R, right?? big f*cking deal, nissan will shut that crap up with SPEC-R. and you noobs like civi and some other fools, quit using skyline in the name, we all know the outcome. honda is no match for the godzilla, so shut yo trap. nsx is your only hope, ahahhaah only one car in the name of honda can do something for them, that's it. now let's look at nissan, what do we have. everything. i rest my damn case.

Name them and I will ask them!!! H-T guys are my friends too!!!
Go do a search on H-T for it, you'll find plenty.
What situation? Ok lets have an imaginary test!!! Give a Cash limit... say... $6000

Buy an engine and build it.... lets see what you can make! Jot the prices and power estimate too!

H-T vs. NF. H-T won, with stock internal N/A engines.
and another thing, superRx7, in page 2, no crap an nsx will take out a skyline gts, gts is a nonturbo, a rb20de.
Hey moron, Skyline GTS's have RB25DET's.
honda whips out a TYPE-R, right?? big f*cking deal, nissan will shut that crap up with SPEC-R. and you noobs like civi and some other fools, quit using skyline in the name, we all know the outcome. honda is no match for the godzilla, so shut yo trap. nsx is your only hope, ahahhaah only one car in the name of honda can do something for them, that's it. now let's look at nissan, what do we have. everything. i rest my damn case.
Lets see.... An Integra Type R beats a S15 on the track and strip. An NSX-R beats a Skyline GTR on the track but not the strip.

lionel, you need to go home.

An Sr20DET will not make 525WHP with stock internals and a stock turbo.

I don't know about all that. I know a guy that was looking into this swap and with the SR20DET and a T67 and some boost control as well as intake manifold, injectors and such he said that would only be about 500 whp. Not saying your wrong but I don't see how it would take all that to get 500 and you said that 525 is attainable on stock everything. huh

Archived