Axle

jkm345

i was replacing my o2 sensor and notice this dark green bluish grease all over the area near to where the axle boot is, i inspected the boot and the boot is not torned at all, i havent open the boot up yet, but could this be a sealing problem and can it be easily fix i.e like throwing the grease back in and sealing it back up?? or do i have to get a new axle?? any help would be grateful!! thx

p.s its the driver side axle, i believe its called the half-shaft!!

well since u say the boot is sealed then u shouldnt do anything the grease needs too be there the boot is there too keep that grease in there and is there too keep any dirt from comin in. The clicking noise above just happens wen the cv joints are worn out and there is a torn boot.

does it make clicking noises when you drive/turn ?

If the joint is bad, I wouldn't reassemble it myself...I would just get a new axle...from Raxles.

gl :D

no...no clicking noise is coming from it!!! the car still runs fine and evrything but the problem is the grease...its not just a little but its alot that is under the car...but the car still runs fine!

well since u say the boot is sealed then u shouldnt do anything the grease needs too be there the boot is there too keep that grease in there and is there too keep any dirt from comin in. The clicking noise above just happens wen the cv joints are worn out and there is a torn boot.

wellls, the problem is that i dunt noe where the grease came from and it looks like the grease that would be inside the axle, but my axle boot seems to be fine...i think it mite be a sealing problem!!gonna look at it todai if i have time and keep u updated on it!

some one may have replaced it or re-booted it in the past and was just sloppy. Or maybe they smeared it on there to keep the rubber from drying out. Whenever I'm under my car and i get grease or oil on my hands, I wipe it on whatever rubber is there. It probably wont help much, but it cant hurt. lol

There should be a metal band at the top and bottom of the boot. If the band has broken at either end that would be where the grease is coming from. If that is the case you can inject some more grease into the boot and attach a new band. Once the boot is compromised in any way it is only a matter of time before the joint begins to wear from the introduction of dirt and the lack of enough lube. It does not mean you need to replace it at this time though. Sometimes regreasing and sealing it back up may hold for several years before it ever needs replacement.

Archived