I'm a DSM'r

mindset

the 6 bolt is better than the 7 bolt.. 7 bolts came in later model DSMs..

which IMO is why the bubble body eclipses go to shat at about 100k

My understanding is the newer the better.. not positive though.

I know for a fact that the early 90's (to 93 I'm thinking) are much more reliable than the mid-late 90's eclipses. The mid-late 90's eclipses are the ones known for the infamous crankwalk.

However, I'm not sure about the other reliability issues with the early 90's talon/ecplise. I honestly wouldn't' mind having about a 92 Eclipse GSX...there's a couple in my area that are pretty quick...one in the 11's and another high 10's I think....both don't seem to have many problems with reliability.

well look at it this way. if a DSM is running, it is doing good. considering most of them spend more time on a flatbed or in the shop/garage than on the road.

hey kastigr- do you shudder at the mention of CRANKWALK? haha

No, because it's not the epidemic that it's made out to be.

Crankwalk is limited to certain DSM's; not all.

For the record, ANY motor can crankwalk. DSMs just happen to be infamous for it.

I thought the second gen's were fairly reliable and that the 3rd gens were the ones that sucked. Am I wrong here....are all DSM's unreliable?

No, it's the 6 bolt that is, for the most part, crankwalkproof. However, as stated previously any motor can crankwalk.

My understanding is the newer the better.. not positive though.

Only 90-99 DSMs were affected.

the 6 bolt is better than the 7 bolt.. 7 bolts came in later model DSMs..

which IMO is why the bubble body eclipses go to shat at about 100k

From the factory, the 6 bolt is a better motor. When they switched to the 7 bolt, it had a smaller crank. Mitsubishi used crankshafts that were machined out of spec. Instead of loosing an assload of money, they went ahead and used them. Big mistake. If your 7 bolt walks on you, once rebuilt it's as good as a 6 bolt in terms of reliability.

I know for a fact that the early 90's (to 93 I'm thinking) are much more reliable than the mid-late 90's eclipses. The mid-late 90's eclipses are the ones known for the infamous crankwalk.

However, I'm not sure about the other reliability issues with the early 90's talon/ecplise. I honestly wouldn't' mind having about a 92 Eclipse GSX...there's a couple in my area that are pretty quick...one in the 11's and another high 10's I think....both don't seem to have many problems with reliability.

All DSMs have reliability issues to a point, but that comes from improper maintenance much more so than poor design. 95-99 have the most incidents of crankwalk, and 95-96 appear to be the most affected. Mine currently sits at 99k, and crankshaft endplay is .004", which is below the service limit of .009".

I just found a 1990 Eagle Talon turbo awd for $2100.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1157172288.html

Seems like a good deal. I was considering it but I dont know anything about these cars.

If I liked the look of the 1st Gens I'd look for one. I just think they're nowhere near as stylish as the 2nd gens.

If he's a true DSMer...he won't need my help. We get much experience working on them enough. In other news, providing I have enough time it should run this weekend. It's not plated so I can't really drive it, but running is a fair step better then where it was.

Yea I'm a true DSM'r.... you know you're a DSM'r when you're able to tell a kid over the phone where the exact thing is on his very own car. I mean I might have to ask your opinion on some parts but otherwise I doubt it.

No, because it's not the epidemic that it's made out to be.

For the record, ANY motor can crankwalk. DSMs just happen to be infamous for it.

No, it's the 6 bolt that is, for the most part, crankwalkproof. However, as stated previously any motor can crankwalk.

Only 90-99 DSMs were affected.

From the factory, the 6 bolt is a better motor. When they switched to the 7 bolt, it had a smaller crank. Mitsubishi used crankshafts that were machined out of spec. Instead of loosing an assload of money, they went ahead and used them. Big mistake. If your 7 bolt walks on you, once rebuilt it's as good as a 6 bolt in terms of reliability.

All DSMs have reliability issues to a point, but that comes from improper maintenance much more so than poor design. 95-99 have the most incidents of crankwalk, and 95-96 appear to be the most affected. Mine currently sits at 99k, and crankshaft endplay is .004", which is below the service limit of .009".

Thanks for explaining all of this! I don't know why people think DSM's are the ONLY car on this planet to crankwalk...

And has DSMtuners been running super slow? It's annoying.

Other people:

1) 6 bolts - In the car if manufactured before 92 1/2.

7 bolts - In the car if manufactured after 92 1/2.

Just because it's a 1g does not mean it has a 6 bolt.

2) Any car will last if you do the maintenance. Its just that some people that own DSM's like to keep modding and modding and just skipping maintenance. Therefore causing failure.

3) The teg is strictly my daily driver. Considering it's a heep of trash and I can poke the interior of my car from underneath the car I'm about to pay monthly on a used car from a local small town dealership. But it is fun to beat up and neutral drop...

Yea I'm a true DSM'r.... you know you're a DSM'r when you're able to tell a kid over the phone where the exact thing is on his very own car. I mean I might have to ask your opinion on some parts but otherwise I doubt it.

Thanks for explaining all of this! I don't know why people think DSM's are the ONLY car on this planet to crankwalk...

And has DSMtuners been running super slow? It's annoying.

Other people:

1) 6 bolts - In the car if manufactured before 92 1/2.

7 bolts - In the car if manufactured after 92 1/2.

Just because it's a 1g does not mean it has a 6 bolt.

2) Any car will last if you do the maintenance. Its just that some people that own DSM's like to keep modding and modding and just skipping maintenance. Therefore causing failure.

3) The teg is strictly my daily driver. Considering it's a heep of trash and I can poke the interior of my car from underneath the car I'm about to pay monthly on a used car from a local small town dealership. But it is fun to beat up and neutral drop...

I can't even get it to load in a reasonable amount of time.

Archived