VTEC Headswap

Kegger

Okay, so I finished getting everything I need to do a head swap on the Sol this weekend.

But I've run into a problem. Since Honda is stupid and puts those little landings on the valve cover bolts to keep the grommets on, I can't get the grommets off. Or on.

Can someone help me out with this one?

And, yes, there will be many pictures of the process. For once, lol.

I have not an answer to your grommet question, but I do have a question of my own.

How are you dealing with the 1/2 tooth off timing?

Okay, so I finished getting everything I need to do a head swap on the Sol this weekend.

But I've run into a problem. Since Honda is stupid and puts those little landings on the valve cover bolts to keep the grommets on, I can't get the grommets off. Or on.

Can someone help me out with this one?

And, yes, there will be many pictures of the process. For once, lol.

I don't understand what you are asking. You just unscrew the nut, then use a flat head screwdriver and the washer/grommet pops off.

I don't understand what you are asking. You just unscrew the nut, then use a flat head screwdriver and the washer/grommet pops off.

I've always wondered how they came off. Thanks Nate!

I have not an answer to your grommet question, but I do have a question of my own.

How are you dealing with the 1/2 tooth off timing?

Half tooth off? Ummmm, I've never had to deal with that. Ever, and I've done several Z6 head swaps.

Just use a Z6 timing belt and water pump, then you're good as gold.

Nate, I'm talking about a Z6 head, where instead of nuts they have bolts and they have this stupid little flange on it which makes the grommets impossible to get off.

When you were all finished did you actually time it by light or vacuum? Or did you just line it up and go?

I asked about the 1/2 tooth deal because according to write ups on HT and elsewhere the vtec timing belt has one more/less (can't remember which) tooth then the non-vtec belt. Thus throwing your timing off by approximately 1/2. I still have three vtec heads sitting in my garage and never attempted the swap because I was unsure how to account for the timing without spending $150 on an adjustable cam gear. Fear of blowing my engine before I could afford to replace it prevented me from proceeding.

I've always used the same write up for all my swaps, and they were cake. Use this one. It's very very thorough.

And I figured out how to get the grommets off of the Z6 and Y8 valve cover bolts.

First a list of materials.

DSCN4852.jpg

Then set the bolt with the metal part of the grommet on the vise and put the handle of a screw driver on the threaded end.

DSCN4854.jpg

Hit it with a hammer, may take a couple of swings.

DSCN4855.jpg

This is what you get.

DSCN4856.jpg

To set a new grommet, place the grommet rubber side down on the vise.

DSCN4858.jpg

Set the bolt on top and hold with a pair of channel locks. And hit the head of the bolt until it seats.(found this one out the hard way)

DSCN4859.jpg

DSCN4860.jpg

And voila, the finished product with a new grommet.

DSCN4861.jpg

Yeah, because I bought two new bolts from the dealer. And they refused to put them on for me. Maybe it was the fact that I refused to pay 3 bucks a piece for those grommets though, and brought my own.

• 2 months later...

So the head is on now. Finally got the tensioner bolt hole unfracked. In time, starts, runs like sh!t.

Revs from 800 to 3000 over and over. Stumped the hell out of me, so I said screw it I'll deal with it in the morning.

Started to fill up the antifreeze, heard it pouring out. The it occurred to me, I forgot to put on and IM gasket.

So tomorrow I'll put on the gasket and that should fix both problems. Anti freeze leak, and the horrible lack of vacuum lol.

Pics tomorrow.

So the head is on now. Finally got the tensioner bolt hole unfracked. In time, starts, runs like sh!t.

Revs from 800 to 3000 over and over. Stumped the hell out of me, so I said screw it I'll deal with it in the morning.

Started to fill up the antifreeze, heard it pouring out. The it occurred to me, I forgot to put on and IM gasket.

So tomorrow I'll put on the gasket and that should fix both problems. Anti freeze leak, and the horrible lack of vacuum lol.

Pics tomorrow.

cant wait to hear how it runs... this swap has been going on for a while now

Archived