hot or not?

jackL0414

hi, i'm the owner of a 94 honda civic 1.6 and i want to know if its a genuine v-tec or not, when i lift up the bonnet the rocker cover says honda v-tec on it but a mate of mine reakons that it could just be the rocker cover that says v-tec, he also reacons that the v-tecs dont have back brakes yet mine has all around disc brakes also he says that once the car gets to 7000rpm i should hear the v-tec kick in yet i hear nothing this is probably one of the fastest civics i've ever owned on a straight road it'll do the clock ( 130mph ) and then do about another ten, so i was wondering if you could tell me if theres any other way of knowing if its a v-tec or not. cheers.

your friend knows nothing.

i'm not sure what your car is considered in ireland, but sounds like it would be the u.s.' ex model. find the vtec solenoid and show it to your friend, then tell him how ridiculous he is.

and 7000 rpm :laugh: my oh my.

you can find the vtec solenoid on the back left side of the valve cover, behind the distributor. you will probably see a little round thing with two plugs going to it. Your vtec should kick in at around 4500 rpm if you have the stock ecu. keep in mind it is only a 1.6L engine so your not gonna feel much if any when it kicks in. If you listen closely you might be able to hear it.

wow you have a complete moron for a friend.. 7000rpm.. maybe he's thinking about toyotas VVTi? and with a sohc engine youre not going to hear vtec really.. not like you would with a dohc vtec engine

You would only hear the engagement if there was an aftermarket intake and exhaust system on that little 1.6. You wouldn't feel it either. If you did a direct comparison between a non-vtec and a vtec engine the 'feeling' is that with the vtec engine the car would accelerate at a more constant rate all the way to the redline. A non-vtec will feel pretty weak and power feels like it is fading away when you are above 5000 or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived