cooling problems

b16typeR

my radiator fan wont turn on ever and it does wurk when i hot wire it to the battery. i checked the fan relay its good. i checked all the fan fuses, they're good. the radiator flows good i checked that. but the car over heats all the time even when the fan is hotwired. the only things i can think of are the fan switch itself the thermostat sensor or the water pump. at this point i feel like i'm jus replacing parts hopin sumthin wurks. any input helps.

well unless u have a bad thermometer or wateva its called since thats wat tells the fan to turn on, u should prob get a new one and it should work fine.

Wow i need real help from peeps knowin wut they're talkin bout. i appreciate you writin up on this but you don't even kno wut the part is called. thermometer or wuteva??? And the fan switch gets a signal from the thermostat sensor on the side of the housing that lets it know when to open it could be several things i wanna find tha right thing so i'm not throwing parts at it.

if it overheats with the motor hot wired then the motor isn't moving enough air or the radiator is clogged up somewhere. does the fan come one when the car is just sitting there?

i hot wired the fan to c if it wurks and it duz. tha fan doesn't come on at all anytime. i'm thinkin water pump thermosensor or fan switch but idk how to test those tha water pump i still have to pull off. Cuz i pulled the thermostat boiled it and it opened fine. And the bottom radiator hose i pulled and poured water through tha radiator and it flowed out just fine. f*ck there are only so many things that it could be i jus reely have no idea at this point.

i hot wired the fan to c if it wurks and it duz. tha fan doesn't come on at all anytime. i'm thinkin water pump thermosensor or fan switch but idk how to test those tha water pump i still have to pull off. Cuz i pulled the thermostat boiled it and it opened fine. And the bottom radiator hose i pulled and poured water through tha radiator and it flowed out just fine. f*ck there are only so many things that it could be i jus reely have no idea at this point.

park the car in the driveway with the hood up, turn the A/C and vents off, let it idle for a while, if the car starts to overheat and the rad fan isn't on its most likely the switch. take the switch out and to the boiling water test to make sure.

If the fan is spinning, and it still overheats then you have either a stuck thermo, or clogged radiator.

Can be a bad temperature sensor or even just a blown fuse in addition to the things Kastigir posted.

Assuming the car was working properly to begin with, and did not recently undergo some other repair or some kind for a pre-existing condition.

When the car is running and at a temperature the fan should be running feel the radiator hoses to see if both the upper and lower hose are hot. Be careful not to burn yourself. If both hoses are hot then your system is properly circulating. This would indicate that your thermostat, water pump and radiator are likely working fine. This would leave just the temperature sensor and the fuse. Fuses are easy to check but the fuse responsible for your fan relay is not marked in any way on the fuse block diagrams. You will just need to pull each fuse one by one and inspect. If every fuse is intact I would source a new temp sensor.

Check your head gasket....i just went through a simaler proplem with a friend, did the rad. the fan. the thermo. and was about to do the water pump and ended up finding it was the head gasket....

Do what they said: check fuses and relays and if they are not bad then try changing the fan temp switch on the thermostat housing, it is only like 14 bucks, I had to replace mine for the same reason. If the car still overheats even when the fan is running then I would be willing to say that your head gasket is toast!

Do what they said: check fuses and relays and if they are not bad then try changing the fan temp switch on the thermostat housing, it is only like 14 bucks, I had to replace mine for the same reason. If the car still overheats even when the fan is running then I would be willing to say that your head gasket is toast!

Why does everyone just assume headgasket? If there is no mixing of coolant and oil, it's *highly* unlikely it's the headgasket. Cheaper parts first.

I did say try cheap fixes first :thumbsup: also hondas rarely mix coolant and oil when the HG goes out. Mine was squirting coolant into the cylinders and caused a dead miss when the car got hot and it still didnt mix with oil at all. What I was saying is if he checked all the things that I listed first and it still didn't solve his problem than more than likely he has a blown HG.

park the car in the driveway with the hood up, turn the A/C and vents off, let it idle for a while, if the car starts to overheat and the rad fan isn't on its most likely the switch. take the switch out and to the boiling water test to make sure.

it doesn't have ac and that is another thing when its cold and it warms up it doesn't overheat until i drive it but then once its driven and i let it idle it will still over heat`.

Why does everyone just assume headgasket? If there is no mixing of coolant and oil, it's *highly* unlikely it's the headgasket. Cheaper parts first.

positive its not a head gasket i jus put a new one on yesterday wit head bolts

Can be a bad temperature sensor or even just a blown fuse in addition to the things Kastigir posted.

Assuming the car was working properly to begin with, and did not recently undergo some other repair or some kind for a pre-existing condition.

When the car is running and at a temperature the fan should be running feel the radiator hoses to see if both the upper and lower hose are hot. Be careful not to burn yourself. If both hoses are hot then your system is properly circulating. This would indicate that your thermostat, water pump and radiator are likely working fine. This would leave just the temperature sensor and the fuse. Fuses are easy to check but the fuse responsible for your fan relay is not marked in any way on the fuse block diagrams. You will just need to pull each fuse one by one and inspect. If every fuse is intact I would source a new temp sensor.

i checked all the fuses and tha fan relay under the hood all good.i havnt checked the hoses while its running i'll dew that next. and yeah i broke my tranny linkage but tha car still ran fine. once i pulled fixed and put tha tranny back on is when it started overheating. but right now i have tha fan switch and the temp sensor both pulled and gonna replace them.

If the fan is spinning, and it still overheats then you have either a stuck thermo, or clogged radiator.

i tested tha thermostat in boiling water it opened just fine and i pulled tha bottom hose off and poured water through tha radiator and it all came out jus fine.

i tested tha thermostat in boiling water it opened just fine and i pulled tha bottom hose off and poured water through tha radiator and it all came out jus fine.

Sure, it opened in boiling water, but what about the temp it's designed to open at? I'd say try a new thermo...they're pretty cheap.

All you need to do is put a test light on the wire going into the fan if there's no power when the car is hot , replace the coolant temp sensor. I've read this a couple times and don't see all the info needed. If you have hard wired the fan which won't cause any long term damage if you don't leave it that way, does the car still overheat. If that's the case then you have other issues. If not then you've probly answered your own question. Even if the car is overheating you can leave the key on with the engine off and there will still be power going to the fan till it reachs the temp. Honda wants it to be at.

Archived