back again!

04GT

Not to mention dyno numbers in magazines after modifications..Mustang Dyno's and other dyno's never really give the same reading..SAE Corrected or Nay?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Such is the life of a higher horsepower rwd V8 car.

true... although the GTO's can't be launched really at all in stock form.. only very rarely with a good track prep on a very hot day

a 5/16th raise or drag bags are what many people do as a first mod... extensive polyurethane bushings to cut down on wheelhop is another... drag radials are a must (when my car hit 2nd @ 45MPH on the strip the whole car lost traction yet again)... there are many things that are bad in the stock GTO's setup when it comes to drag racing but i'm one of the few that bought one to sort them out over the years

which leads me to the single most problem with the GTO's whole setup.... wheel clearance

the stock tires are 245/45/17's and the car sits so low that if you go any wider the tires will rub... even if you take the stock wheel and mount 275 BFG DR's on it the sidewall overhang of the tire will be enough to rub without otherwise rolling the fender... the most meat I have seen under a GTO is a 9.5" tire and that was with extensive grinding, a drag raise, rolling of the fenders and being completely tubbed out

then again some of the fastest GTO's I've seen run use the stock width wheels with mickeys in the back and 4 inch skinnies up front so I guess it's all a matter of how much research you put into making your car perform at the strip

Pretty much. Guy here in town has a single turbo LS1 GTO and if I recall correctly he had to do some work on the rear wheelwells to allow for a bigger, meatier tire..he's not on stock rims either; as he put almost as much money into rims as he did on his turbo kit. CCW's are so lovely. LOL.

Archived