Ignition going out?

Stevotron5000

Hey guys, I've already searched the forum and I can't find a definitive answer to my problem.

Just recently my ignition's been acting up. the 'accessory' position works fine but when I turn it to 'on' I almost always get nothing (No fuel pump prime, no dash gauges coming on, but I still get power to my stereo, etc.) Sometimes the 'on' position will work but it'll die out and I can even hear the beep die.

My car has died twice on me while at a stop with no sputtering and twice it died on me directly after starting (car will start fine, revs up and dies right back down immediately.)

'on' will work if I turn the key as if I'm starting the car (with no clutch) and it starts up fine when I need it to, minus those two times it died on me.

Loose connection? bad ignition? Am I even close? Mind helping? You know you want to :thumbsup:

Hey guys, I've already searched the forum and I can't find a definitive answer to my problem.

Just recently my ignition's been acting up. the 'accessory' position works fine but when I turn it to 'on' I almost always get nothing (No fuel pump prime, no dash gauges coming on, but I still get power to my stereo, etc.) Sometimes the 'on' position will work but it'll die out and I can even hear the beep die.

My car has died twice on me while at a stop with no sputtering and twice it died on me directly after starting (car will start fine, revs up and dies right back down immediately.)

'on' will work if I turn the key as if I'm starting the car (with no clutch) and it starts up fine when I need it to, minus those two times it died on me.

Loose connection? bad ignition? Am I even close? Mind helping? You know you want to :thumbsup:

im not positive but it sounds to me as tho the tumbler in the ignition is bad.

So it's the ignition switch for sure.

disconnecting the ignition switch from the steering column is very easy but I can't see where the harness leads to. It goes behind the steering column and into the dash but I can't find the harness' back there. It seems to go farther than I can reach. Help prease?

sounds like you should clean the ground on the thermostat before anything else. along with the battery grounds. take each one off , sand them down , put em back on. specially the ground loop on the thermo housing.

• 4 months later...
Replaced the ignition switch, all is well now, thanks guys.

I am actually have the same problem, I changed the ignition switch and I sanded down all the ground wires.

The only difference is my car hasn't died yet.

Another electrical problem I am having is while i am driving, whether in motion or not, all the power kicks off then back on immediately. The car does not die. Its so fustrating. New battery, new alternator, new ignition switch, checked all the ground wires, checked all the fuses.

Also, when I stop the car and turn off the ignition, the power kicks off and on. Sometimes the stereo will repeat kicking on and off.

Anyone have any other ideas? i'll donate via paypal $100 to anyone who can get me a idea that works.

Thanks,

Rob

If the whole car loses power at the same time, check the wires coming from your battery and alternator. Could also be a bad voltage regulator, unless the Sol's regulator is integrated into the alternator.

I am thinking that you may have a bad ignition relay. it might be under your hood (in the fuse box) or in the fuse box inside your car, but check it out.

my paypal address is JeffKillsYa@hotmail.com

just so you know!

Archived