Out of the Honda game

Prangy

Even though most of you probably dont know me I sold my civic after learning a crap load about cars with it. I really feel empty now that I do not have a car, I am sure some of you have felt that feeling of selling something you worked hard on. Just felt like venting.

Even though most of you probably dont know me I sold my civic after learning a crap load about cars with it. I really feel empty now that I do not have a car, I am sure some of you have felt that feeling of selling something you worked hard on. Just felt like venting.

Yea, I know you. You're Prangy. :thumbsup:

So what are you getting to fill the empty void you just gouged in your heart?

Haha, I actually bought a 99 ranger five speed with 4x4 offroad package. The problem that i just put onto myself is that I spun out on the highway and dented my bed really bad, ites not even a dent its like the side just folded up and looks pretty bad. Everything is fine besides the bed so I got lucky considering i was sideways going 50 for about 5 seconds. So now i have something to work on at least haha.

you can find the beds at junk yards and stuff. the beds from the mazda b-series look really good on rangers and they should just bolt right up since they are pretty much the same truck. the step sides also look nice but you lose some room. is your truck the vulcan or the 4.0?

by vulcan do you mean the 3.0 flex fuel motor, thats what I have i am not sure if thats what you mean though. I did not feel i needed a 4.0l since i will not be towing.

yeah the vulcan is the 3.0, shouldve gone with the 4.0 it needs the extra power

I contenplated, if thats how you spell it haha, whether i should go with the 4 or the 3 for a while. I just do not need the extra liter of power though, I do not tow and I got the truck more for the winters in wisconsin and to carry tools around. And it helps a little on gas, I did look and noticed they are nto that different gas wise though. I was looking on this website car-part.com for a junk yard bed. That website is pretty cool if you need any parts I would take a look at it if you can not find any locally.

only about a 1-2mpg difference between the 3.0 and 4.0 (assuming its the 5spd, the auto's are junk) and the 50ish hp and 30ish tq difference is pretty significant but i think the 4.0 of that year was the SOHC and it had a small chance of timing chain issues, and the 3.0 was about as bulletproof as a d-series honda motor. the 3.0 also have some power that can be unlocked without spending a ton of money (i.e. electric radiator fan, 180 t-stat, intake, exhaust, don't buy headers they only reduce power on stock blocks, p&p, 75mm mass air sensor from some other ford vehicles, etc.)

here is a guy from rangerpowerports.com that did some simple stuff for his truck

http://rogueperformance.com/RogueRanger.html

and here is some of the how to for it

http://rogueperformance.com/WelcometoFredland.html

Thanks man, I was looking at getting an exhaust and intake over the summer, but I have to do something with the bed first now that it is cracked up right where the exhaust would be coming out, I was looking at a cherry bomb duel exhaust that bends and comes out right behind the rear tires. Idk yet for intake, I was reading the list and I just realized how much I do not know haha, I do not even understand what some of that means, time to do some studying.

Thanks man, I was looking at getting an exhaust and intake over the summer, but I have to do something with the bed first now that it is cracked up right where the exhaust would be coming out, I was looking at a cherry bomb duel exhaust that bends and comes out right behind the rear tires. Idk yet for intake, I was reading the list and I just realized how much I do not know haha, I do not even understand what some of that means, time to do some studying.

cherry bomb makes a dual? or are you doing a muffler on each side? check to see how that fabs up because you may loose your spare tire, and on trucks those are essential. are you talking about the traditional glass packs or the extreme? the extremes are super loud since they are a signle chamber flowmaster style muffler, and the glasspacks are just that and they don't flow very well and are pretty loud, and get louder over time as the baffling gets burned up.

i'm not a huge fan of the tips coming out behind each tire. i like 1 or 2 coming out behind of one tire, or in front (lightning style), or one on each side in front of the tire (viper srt10 style). the intakes wont do much for you until you get the bigger MAF sensor since it the bottle necking point on these trucks, but most people go with K&N, Volant, and other domestic companies. if your good with a saw and have access to a mendrel bending machine you can easily make your own.

I will have to read that part on the maf sensor, again i am not doing anything until summer when I am out of class and making money, I wish I could make my own air intake I Know it is not hard, but I do not have a mendrel bender I will talk to a guy he might have one. So what exhaust would u suggest? I will check I think it was the extreme it has been over a month since i looked, and check about that spare.

I will have to read that part on the maf sensor, again i am not doing anything until summer when I am out of class and making money, I wish I could make my own air intake I Know it is not hard, but I do not have a mendrel bender I will talk to a guy he might have one. So what exhaust would u suggest? I will check I think it was the extreme it has been over a month since i looked, and check about that spare.

cherry bomb extreme

glasspack cherry bomb

borla

flowmaster super 40

gibson

and straight piped

K k, ill decide down the road I have some time, in the end I really do not care what exhaust as long as it sounds decent. I like that website you gave me a lot pball, its pretty sweet I was going to look for ranger sites but never did.

Archived