Nopi Nationals-->CANCELLED

DelSolSweetie

so this is the one thing i look forward to every year!! and they're going to go crush my dreams of havin the del sol in it by cancelling all of the drift, drag, and car shows for the summer and fall....

"It is with great regret that NOPI Motorsports, LLC has suspended operations for the summer and fall 2008. This will include NOPI Drag Racing Series, NOPI Drift Series and the NOPI NATIONALS Motorsports Supershow. The company is undergoing an organizational restructuring in light of severe adverse affects of a disappointing spring season. The economy and unfavorable weather resulted in underperformance of all spring events. Michael Meyers, president of NOPI Motorsports, reports that NOPI Motorsports is working with its clients and sponsors to minimize the uncertainty going forward. This is a reflection of the economic times in which we currently live. The countrywide economic and industry downturn has caused a slowdown and tightening of belts. This affects everyone and companies, at all levels, and NOPI Motorsports is no different.

We understand the position this puts everyone in and we hope you can find in your heart to work with us through this terrible time. All of you are our friends and we have felt for many years that we were all a big family.

NOPI Motorsports hates this more than anyone as the many years of hard work, tradition and an industry we helped to shape would come to this.

Please watch nopi.com for future announcements."

i though it was a load of crap too until i saw it on the site:

http://www.nopi.com/nopims/index.php

i hope someone like hacked into the site and made everything up.. but i know that didnt happen haha

This is a reflection of the economic times in which we currently live. The countrywide economic and industry downturn has caused a slowdown and tightening of belts.

true story :laugh:

No it's a reflection of how riced out and stupid Nopi has become. They did away with the Drag Racing at a lot of the shows this year (including St. Louis) which was the only thing worth going to see. I guess if you like a gathering of riced out bodykits and clear taillights then this is a sad thing. To all of us non-ricer's.....who cares.

I have to disagree, Nate. NOPI has always been rice-fest. It was long before the JDM "craze" hit, and so long as there are fresh 16-year-olds picking up Hondas, it will continue to be (for as long as it can survive, so many shows have gone under within the past 5-6 years).

The industry plays a huge role in it, as they need to sell out the booths. When all of these kids are buying parts off of eBay because they're "so much cheaper", the major (and minor) "tuner shops" are going under. I'd find it hard to believe that eBay shops would be purchasing up all of the booths. Factor in that the scene has been on a steady decline for the past few years, then the economy (with high gas prices, low wages - or none at all due to unemployment, it's hard for people to up and decide to make the trek across the country for the Nationals).

I have to disagree, Nate. NOPI has always been rice-fest. It was long before the JDM "craze" hit, and so long as there are fresh 16-year-olds picking up Hondas, it will continue to be (for as long as it can survive, so many shows have gone under within the past 5-6 years).

The industry plays a huge role in it, as they need to sell out the booths. When all of these kids are buying parts off of eBay because they're "so much cheaper", the major (and minor) "tuner shops" are going under. I'd find it hard to believe that eBay shops would be purchasing up all of the booths. Factor in that the scene has been on a steady decline for the past few years, then the economy (with high gas prices, low wages - or none at all due to unemployment, it's hard for people to up and decide to make the trek across the country for the Nationals).

I wasn't truley being serious....rather merely venting my disgust for NOPI in general.

I wasn't truley being serious....rather merely venting my disgust for NOPI in general.

True, true. Unfortunately, rice keeps this industry thriving... or at least did prior to cheaply-made (and sold) eBay parts :laugh:

Archived