got the ground controls but I NEED HELP!!!!

u would think its common sense to install coil overs for a amateur mechanic...well i guess not. i pulled the wheel off, the strut assembly and the spring off...everything is dandy. get the new sleeves on...and since i didnt know were to position the bottom spring seat so i put it right in the middle. perfect install. BUT i lower it and its about 2-2.5" off the tire..so i adjusted the spring seat. then my mind went haywire and i couldnt for the life of me figure out wether to move the spring seat up or down to lower it so i ended up putting the seat a majority of the way down...drop the jack and still sitting at the same height. so i lowered it aaaall the way to the second thread from the bottom. saaaaame height. so then for some reason i thought the spring needed to be compressed to lower the car so i took the strut out and moved the seat aaaall the way to the top...installed everything...dropped the jack aaand it sat an inch hire than b4. wwwwaaaatttt the heck am i doing wrong? i know its gotta be something stupid soooooo...how stupid am i?

oh and the reason it took a month for me to get the coilovers was because the company lost my zip code and decided it would be smart to GUESS it...so it ended up being shipped to a few maryland adresses before iiiiiiiiiii called them and then they figured out they changed the zip and it was wrong...idiots!!!

anyway back to my problem...aaaanyyyone????aaaanyyyone???

im not really clear on what your doing, but both of the seats on the sleeve should be back to back of each other since thats how they lock. i was going to say they might need to be compressed but that still shouldnt be making you sit that high. could you take a pic of what you did?

Down lowers the car...just like you would think it to do. I agree that it's hard to say without pictures. Post up some pictures of how you have them installed and maybe we can see something you missed.

Oh...... Did you cut the bump stop in half? You could possibly be sitting on the bump stops which would cause it not to lower anymore regardless of your spring/sleeve setting.

^thats a good suggestion, i forgot about the bumpstops. i had to cut mine when i put my springs in. speaking of coilovers...i wonder what joe has in store next/soon for the sti lol.

^thats a good suggestion, i forgot about the bumpstops. i had to cut mine when i put my springs in. speaking of coilovers...i wonder what joe has in store next/soon for the sti lol.

im trying to upload some picks now. are the bumpstops the existing bottom spring seat on the strut?

The bump stop is the foamy piece that slides over the shaft of the shock. Mine was a faded orange color. Their purpose is for when/if the shock bottoms, it will smack the foam instead of the actual shock.

Suspension1small.jpg

The two shocks on the right (back ones) had bumpstops that came with the shocks. If you look at the shock behind the spring you'll see the orange bump stop. THey are similar on the stock shocks but shaped differently and about twice as tall.

We are talking about if you reuse the stock bump stops. THe stock bump stops are at least twice as long as the ones on my illumina's. For some reason only the rear illumina's came with bump stops so in the front I had to cut the stock bumpstops in half and use them on my Illumina shocks.

same thing with my tanabe gf210 springs. had to cut them in half.

weeeeell...i decided to put them all on yesterday even tho it sat about 1.5" off the tire and it turns out it settled about 2" when i drove it harder. aaaand also found out the shocks are baaad. the nuespeed springs on it b4 were so tall and soooo compressed into the strut it didnt make a difference whether or not the shocks worked because of the stiffness. anyway now im lookin for new shocks. ill proly go with kyb gr2s if i find the right price. the store down the street quoted me at 583 for shocks and install but i found them alot cheaper on tire rack so ill buy from them and have the store install cause im sick of working with it. hahahaaa

Damn, over $500? IMO, you shoulda bought coilovers to begin with.

What's your price range for shocks?

thats the price for installation to.

any suggestion on hot spots to buy illuminas cheaper? or were to get them? and i dont really have a price range...i just want something thatll hold up.

i found the illuminas for 106.10 each. are the HP tokicos any good? i guess the 62.50 price tag speaks for itself?

and i found kyb agx's for 97.68 each

The HP's are comparable to the GR-2's. Illumina's are worth the extra $9 each over the AGX's.

Archived