Project Celica

So, I no longer own a Honda. Technically I do, but first person to say they want it, it's theirs. Anyways, last summer I purchased one of these.

DSCF0208.jpg

Certainly no performance beast, but it's got about 15 more horse than my old Civic. I also happen to think it's the best looking generation of Celica out there.

The Good: Interior is near mint.

DSCF0215.jpg

Runs great. Gets good mileage 30+

The Bad: Some rust. Mostly minor or replaceable panels except for 1 spot.

DSCF0214.jpg

DSCF0213.jpg

DSCF0211.jpg

DSCF0212.jpg

I know the best way to fix that cancer, is to cut it out and weld in a new piece of sheet metal. Which I might do.

First modification, ditching those sealed beam headlights. Bought some *supposed* direct-fit pods that hold H4 bulbs. They lie because I had to reshape my trim ring slightly, to accommodate the pods. Used Luminics H4 Pure Blue bulbs, 6500K color temp. All in all they look good.

DSCF0224.jpg

What to do about these corners though?

DSCF0207.jpg

Well, I searched through eBay for a set of clear corners and/or bumper lenses. Miraculously I found a complete set.

DSCF0226.jpg

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0228.jpg

Unfortunately the drivers side has already started to seperate, so I'm a bit miffed. I've already contacted the seller, to see what kind of resolution he provides. If I have to, I'll reseal it myself. It appears to be the housing itself, and where the actual bulb sits appears to be still intact.

Future Plans:

Wheels, Buddy Clubs I linked in my earlier Rota thread. Found SRIs but no CAIs. Some interior styling most definitely. Shift knob, shift boot. Not sure what to do about the gauges.

DSCF0216.jpg

Either white face, or giving the surround a brushed metal look. Currently though, I'm just happy I have a good running car with good mileage.

Also, all of the parts are now in for the Talon.

954a.jpg

Barring anything unforseen, it should be running in the next few weeks. I'm not confident enough to attempt the timing belt alone, nor am I quite sure how I'm going to do it being as it's sitting in the street and all. Buddy of mine says it doesn't look much different than an Integra belt, so we'll see.

Never seen a Celica looking like that...gotta say it ain't a nice shape compared to our Celica over here of the same age. It's got the same front end, thats about it though. this is the one im used to...

CelicaST185GT4AFresnoF.jpg

meh as long as ur happy though! so u leaving us for a toyota forum or sticking about for the craps n giggles?

Celicas here were also available in hatchback, like the one in the picture. I'm tired of owning hatchbacks, and this is actually my first coupe. That's obviously a GT4A, which I'm fairly certain equates to our AllTrac. I also browse some Toyota forums, but have not really ingrained myself into the community like I have here. Plus I'm a forum junkie so you're stuck with me. Even if I no longer have a Honda, there is still some good, and knowledgeable people here.

My mom has a '93 Celica GT sitting in her back yard. I'd have killed for it to have been the AWD version. I think one came equipped with a 3S-GTE motor. May have been 3S-GE.

lol @ the super red paint code.

my ej6 was painted that color. looked good.

i thought it was the gt-s that came with the 3sgte.

Finally got off my ass and finished installing my satellite radio. It came from my Civic, and I've been dragging ass. Today, with my upcoming trip, I decided to get it done. I had help for my Civic, so I was a bit daunted for doing this solo.

DSCF0233.jpg

I recently purchased the iPod add-on that let's you control your iPod through your head unit.

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0235.jpg

Here is my old head unit. The CD player doesn't function properly anymore.

DSCF0236.jpg

I'm going to be replacing it soon, with one of these.

Nice. When you gonna get the new HU by? Where was the trip to?

Sometime between now and the MB gathering. Going to HIN in Columbus this weekend. I know it's only a couple of hours away, but I like options for my entertainment.

True. I love XM radio. So many options. But if you can use your ipod, that's just as good.

I'd like to get a full in dash GPS head unit before the meet but I'm not counting on it, with classes to pay for first and foremost.

True. I love XM radio. So many options. But if you can use your ipod, that's just as good.

I'd like to get a full in dash GPS head unit before the meet but I'm not counting on it, with classes to pay for first and foremost.

I like Sirius better, and at the time of purchase it had more of the stations I wanted to listen to. Concerning the GPS, I bought one similar to this. It's a little older, so it's the 3150. I love it, and it's directions haven't failed me yet. Since I have multiple cars, it was a better solution for me.

• 1 month later...

Well, being unhappy with those crap *JDM* knock-off corners, I decided to do something about it. One of the Celica forums I frequent has the part numbers for the Toyota JDM clear corners. Using this I ordered some online. They arrived at my door sometime this afternoon.

DSCF0322.jpg

Much better looking than those "JDM TYTE YO" corners from before.

Kas, you got a full frontal shot? They look good tho. You bringin the Celi or the Talon down?

I can get one.

*IF* the Talon is running it will come down.

Now, I need antenna suggestions. I currently have this. I hate these antennas with a passion.

DSCF0325.jpg

DSCF0326.jpg

DSCF0327.jpg

Now, what I want is a black whip antenna. Preferably shorter. The style of antenna on the Talon would work perfectly, but it's rather long. I've seen the 350Z and Scion tC antennas while they pass by, and they look awesome. I haven't seen any close-up pictures with enough detail to know if I can make one of them work. Opinions?

Ok, I lied. I went with this head unit. It is essentially an exact but newer replacement to my current one. It adds the ability to play WMA discs where my previous player could only play MP3 discs. I have some new pictures I gotta upload, and get some opinions one.

Full frontal picture of the corner lights as promised.

DSCF0329.jpg

Now, I need opinions on the following pic.

DSCF0330.jpg

Those black vertical splitters, are actually covered by a black plastic piece. I can remove it and they're white underneath. My question is which way looks better? They're dirty underneath there, so they're not "white" with the cover removed right now.

ditto

the black would look better anyways, especially if its dirty white underneath

Well, I can wash them. I was hoping for a shop with those changed to white. I suck at graphic manipulation. Oh yeah, those handprints are gone. That was taken shortly after I hung my front exhaust.

Archived