Idle Air Control Valve?

Kasper

After reading a few different posts about the fluttering idle, I'm guessing my car has the same issue. My question is where is it, and can it be adjusted or does it need to be replaced?

no it cant be ajusted you could take it apart and clean it out but its diffiult another one costs about 80-90 dollars and its on the back of the intake manifold find the throttle cable and go almost straight bac its the bigger one ill try to find a picture

100_0851.jpg

Yeah, it's just a couple bolts and a couple coolant lines. Just take it off and spray the hell out of it with throttle body cleaner. Let it dry completely before you put it back on. It should clear that flutter up at least for 6 months or so. It can get to be like routine maintenance on some hondas. Hey, does anyone know, is it just a d-series problem or does it also occur in the B or f or h motors as well?

I appreciate the help guys. I'm gonna be out of town for the next few weeks, so I won't have a chance to play around with the car at all. I'll let you know if this solves the problem I'm having. Thanks!!

take it off. take the 2 screws out that hold it together. once out you can pull the unit apart , its gonna seem like it won come apart , but its being magnetically held together , just pull. once its apart , sit the cervo (electric)part aside. now the unit itself has a rotating pin , with a door inside that blocks or opens a passageway. with the cervo removed , you should be able to grab the end of the pin that was mated to the cervo , and spin it free. if it wont spin , or in fact has any drag at all in a 360 spin of it , you need to clean out whatever is causing this drag. possibly scrape. once you have it so you can spin it freely , put it back together with a shot of spray lube , reinstall it. when i bought my K20 , and got it running , it idles really bad , up and down , up and down. BAD. took IACV off , it was stuck lodged in one spot , wouldnt move. i had to scrape and clean at it for an hour to get it to spin free , idled like a new car.

Just had a chance to look at my engine bay again, and it's not like the one pictured above at all. Does anyone have a picture of what the thing should look like on a 1990 Si? I'll take a picure of that area on mine if that helps. Maybe you can just point it out...

I got the part out, but I don't see how to pull the electrical harness out. The screw on one side is only 5 sided, and I don't have a tool like that. The other side has no screws. How do I get that electrical harness out of there?

DSCN0785.JPG

DSCN0786.JPG

DSCN0787.JPG

DSCN0788.JPG

I pulled those off and opened it. That's the area where the coolant goes in and out of. I didn't see how anything inside there would open up to reveal the inside of the unit...

DSCN0790.JPG

gee it almost looks like those old civic ones dont come apart possibly. you dont have any pics end on of the plastic connector end. maybe you take that allan bolt out and slide it out.

There is a pic on post #12 showing the plastic connector part. It has some kind of black plastic that fills in two areas on it. Possibly covering the screws? I guess I'll bring the part with me tomorrow and run around town trying to find someone with a 5-sided allen wrench...

I have allen wrenches in Metric and SAE. They are all 6 sided. If you look at the pic I posted, it's only a 5-sided screw. I have yet to track down a 5-sided allen wrench...

Archived