Stock internal with turbo

Miamishatchback02

ok heres my setup tell me what u think i should boost or would be safe for daily driven.

D15z1 vtec-e block

D15z1 vtec-e pistongs with new TAIHO japan made rings for d15z1

D15z1 vtec-e Stock crankshaft with new TAIHO japan made new main bearings.

D15z1 vtec-e stock rods with new TAIHO japan made new bearings.

D16z6 vtec-- Intake manifold and throtle body.

H22A1 ------ stock injectors also have jdm stock gst injectors and evo VIII injectors but seem not 2feet

D16y8 vtec-- Head shaved port and polished with new valves.

What turbo should i use and at how many psi would it be safe for my motor with those parts being used now?and what difference does it really make that i had the d16y8 head shaved, port and polish? and can anyone tell me how can i know if my p28 ecu that came from an ex civic will work fine with my d16y8 head? thanks if ur able to help me

you would need a real good tune to run 10psi on a dd. a real good tune would take a good tuner a couple hours and thats so you don't run lean or rich, like kegger said.

Yes, anymore than 10psi and you're asking for trouble. You're stretching the engine's limits as is. Upsize your injectors and maybe, just MAYBE..and I'm emphasizing the HELL out of the term MAYBE you could go more.

Yes, anymore than 10psi and you're asking for trouble. You're stretching the engine's limits as is. Upsize your injectors and maybe, just MAYBE..and I'm emphasizing the HELL out of the term MAYBE you could go more.

The p28 ecu will work with your setup of course with hondata. 10 psi should be good as long as it's intercooled. You can have the tuner run it a bit richer in the boost maps as to help cool the piston. You may give up some power but gain reliablity. How much did you shave off the head?

THis thread seriously makes me laugh. You can't just say 10psi....period...or 8psi....period.

How much boost you can run is not determined by the psi, it's determined by the amount of hp the motor can handle.

If person A runs 14psi and 200whp on one turbo

and person B runs 10psi and 200whp on a different turbo

the stress on the motor will be the same.

You can't just say "what psi can I run" without first deciding what turbo you're going to use first. 10psi on a GT30r isn't going to be the same as 10psi on a T25.

This post isn't directed toward the OP completely (since he did ask what turbo) as much as the regular members here that should know it's not all about the psi. REgarding which turbo.....I"m not the best with SOHC setups, but I would go with something on the smaller side like a straight T3. A T3/T4 setup would probably be overkill on such a small motor that's not being built bottom up.

THis thread seriously makes me laugh. You can't just say 10psi....period...or 8psi....period.

How much boost you can run is not determined by the psi, it's determined by the amount of hp the motor can handle.

If person A runs 14psi and 200whp on one turbo

and person B runs 10psi and 200whp on a different turbo

the stress on the motor will be the same.

You can't just say "what psi can I run" without first deciding what turbo you're going to use first. 10psi on a GT30r isn't going to be the same as 10psi on a T25.

This post isn't directed toward the OP completely (since he did ask what turbo) as much as the regular members here that should know it's not all about the psi. REgarding which turbo.....I"m not the best with SOHC setups, but I would go with something on the smaller side like a straight T3. A T3/T4 setup would probably be overkill on such a small motor that's not being built bottom up.

so what can i spect to get from a t3/t4 turbo? how mutch power can i look to get then? and man i know about mechanic and all but not about turbo stuff i only had one turbo car and came the way it was a gst so let me know what will i be getting out of that t3/t4 turbo?

PSI going in is the same across the board... whatever PSI is sitting in your head and entering the chamber is what is generally meant/talked about. If you measure the PSI in your intake manifold... it doesn't matter what turbo you have. What matters is what is building/going IN. So regardless of GT30 or T3/4... as long as you're measuring at the intake manifold what's being forced into your engine is what matters- so there 10 psi is 10psi regardless.

I always here 6-8psi as a general rule. I went with 7 because the mileage on my car and I want to see how it holds up. The higher you go the more you're pushing it, even with a solid tune- and is it really worth all the extra money to get a good tune for an extra 1-2 psi when you're still putting more strain on the engine than there should be- it'll work, but you'll wear faster.

If you have car A and car B, and they are the same setup, and you measure PSI at the intake and you measure 14 on one and 10 on the other... you won't end up with 200whp on A AND 200whp on B. Different PSI entering the engine is going to vary HP gains for the same setup. Now, if you have 2 different cars and you HAVE to run 14psi to get 200whp on one car and only 10psi to get 200whp on another car- that's a TOTALLY different thing. That's like saying I have to run 12psi on my civic to get 200whp and I only have to run 5psi on my stock base model rsx to get 200whp. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Yeah, that's funny. I've personally seen two different psi setups creating the same power on same motor. I know a guy running 26psi on a T3/T4 on a B18B1 and making 403whp. If he was running 26psi on a GT35r his numbers would be much higher. It's not all about psi and it's hilarious that anybody could argue otherwise.

Here we go........Why do you think that a greddy kit on a GSR can't hardly break 200whp on 8psi yet a Peakboost kit at on 8psi is hitting around 280whp all day long and around 240 at 6psi. If psi is psi, then explain that one....???

Yeah, that's funny. I've personally seen two different psi setups creating the same power on same motor. I know a guy running 26psi on a T3/T4 on a B18B1 and making 403whp. If he was running 26psi on a GT35r his numbers would be much higher. It's not all about psi and it's hilarious that anybody could argue otherwise.

Here we go........Why do you think that a greddy kit on a GSR can't hardly break 200whp on 8psi yet a Peakboost kit at on 8psi is hitting around 280whp all day long and around 240 at 6psi. If psi is psi, then explain that one.... ???

The reason for the different psi making the same power depends on a lot of varibles. Some kits are more efficient than other kits. Certain parts are more effcient then others. I have personally tuned a turbo ls with 10 psi. All we changed was the exhaust manifold and picked up an extra 15 without altering anything else. With tuning we picked up another 10hp. You can see cars that are running 14 psi and only make 200whp and a 10psi making 200whp also. The difference is, the 10psi one is running more effcient then the other, so with less stress on the engine components. The different types of turbos that are mentioned would show differences in power curve. Whether it comes on sooner or later. 10 psi is 10 psi which ever turbo you use. I would highly recommend a t25 turbo as you would be more happy with the response and it's a daily driver. Hope it sheds some light I hope

That's not true man. Different turbo's will flow different cfms at certain psi. I've seen a guy change nothing but the turbo on his setup to a larger turbo and the numbers jumped......sure they had to retune but that's because the turbo was flowing more air at that psi.

This thread seriously makes me LOL. I'm in awe that people acutally believe that a T88 at the same psi as a T25 is going to flow the same air.

sorry to say guys, but 10psi, is 10psi. The difference is whether your blowing 10psi through a coffee stir, or a 2" piece of tubing. 10 psi through a huge turbo, is the same as 10psi through a small one. This is where some get confused.

ok now if you had a pump that could produce a constant 10cfm, and ran half of it through a straw, and the other half through a garden hose, and each one was filling up a jug. The straw would see a lot more internal pressure, due to the restriction, and the garden hose would have less internal pressure. both hoses would flow the EXACT same ammount of water though, correct? each hose would flow 5cfm, and fill up each jug at the exact same rate thats all that matters

The bigger turbo is just a bigger water pump in that equation! it would make both pressure's go up, but would make the straw pressure go up even higher. in the end, you still have the same quantity of water flowing out either ends of the straw and hose.

its the ideal gas law, look it up if you don't believe me. PV=nRT

EDIT: he had to re tune hung, because the new compressor was running more efficiently than the old one was. Each wastegate was activated at 10psi, so the engine saw the EXACT same amount of air.

I see what you're saying....but then....why does the greddy kit (18g I think) make about 100whp less than the peakboost kit at the same psi. There is No way that you are getting 100whp just from piping and exhaust manny.

Hell, even the rev hard kit which has the same piping as the greddy kit (just bigger turbo) will produce 50 more whp than the greddy kit....that's with a log manny on both too.

Right but the produce the same psi though. I'll try and look it up later but the greddy is an 18g or 16g can't remember for sure and the Rev Hard is a T3/T04E .57 trim. I'll look it up later and find out for sure.

Here's another thought. I saw a video of two supras racing about a month ago.

The first supra had a larger turbo less psi, second supra had a smaller turbo more psi.

THe supra with the larger turbo and less psi was making much, much more whp than the other car. If psi is psi then I don't see how this is possible.

Archived