supercharged turbo

BLAZZER

hey all im new to the forums but not new to civics/honda :)

so im doing a k20a-r swap right and well i cant decide what to do a turbo a twin turbo or a supercharger

so i was thinking what would happen if i had a super charger and a turbo (yes it is possible ive seen it done on a sunfire) how good it works im not sure thats why im asking here to see what you guys think of that

casue obivsly with a turbo there is lag if i could some how iliminate that lag with the supercharger and use the turbo for the higher rpm's then im set but would something like that actully work?

( and dont consider moeny an issue when thinking about this)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude, if you dont like lag, then just have a supercharger.

it would be a waste of time to try and twin anything on a 4 cylinder. I imagine it would cost a butt load of money to supercharge and turbocharge a k20.

how about this, turbocharge your k20 with a nice t4 turbo. then to get rid of the lag, use a nitrous system for the lower rpms

This will work to a point, but you will make more power with just a turbo setup.

Why?>>>

The problem is going to be the effeciency of a JR supercharger. At some point the JR will reach max flow (far more quickly than a mid-sized turbo). So what happens is, if you want to build to 500whp (just a figure), and the SC is effecient to 350whp (again, just a figure), then when you up the boost on the turbo to get more hp past 350, the SC will begin to impede the flow. At that point it will make more power by tossing the S/C and upping the boost on the turbo for better flow throughout.

Even if you only use it for 300whp, it's a bad idea since you can get there with the S/C alone on higher boost.

That's my take.

lets make it easy for him. its impossible dude. go with one or the other. guys are getting nice numbers out of JR or comptech , and theres little chance or hurting your engine. if you plan on putting cams in your swap , let me know , ill buy your DC5-R cams from you.

cranny its not impossbile ive seen it done and the guy was running 9's on a quater mile it was ina sunfire i jstu ahve no idea how he did it i saw it with my own eyes im sjtu trying to figure out how to hook taht up on a k20 and if it would be worth it or not and about tha cams cranny ya ill sell em once i get my new one the entire k20 engein is being reuilt from scratch all upgrades

so well in theroy would a supercharge turbo work hungsr? im not to familiar with supers so like if its running say 300 hp on the super how does that conflict with the turbo

would a twin turbo prbly be better instead say a small turbo for low rpms and a huge turbo for higher rpm's?

my freind laughed an said get 4 turbos one for each cylinder lol prbly woudnt work lol lol

We know it's technically possible. Point is it'll take a lot of research and time to make it work better than simply getting a nice turbo setup, and since you're asking questions about it on a forum that suggests that you won't be able to get satisfactory results without just paying mad cash to some good shop to make it all happen.

it is possible, just like swapping in two motors into a hyundai tiburan, theres just really no point. you will be must happier performance wise if you spend that money building a boosting the k20

why the hell are you so stuck on twin turbocharging a 4 cylinder? ive seen 900hp civics with only 1 turbo. if youre so worried about lag then get a t3/4 turbo and you will hit boost a 3,500rpms which means pretty much by the time youre done smoking your tires off the line, you will hit boost and youre good to go

true true i jsut dont wanan get that huige amount of lag right im jsut looking for really good solutions to get rid of it a twin turbo was jsut an idea i had in mind and the super0turbo was anohter idea but ok lets say drop i.e 50 g in to the k20 maybe a lil less you think it could handle like 30 psi? from a huge mother turbo? if so would taht casue magga lag?

so from your guy's opinion how would i create as much horse power as possible with having as minimal as lag as possible turbo? twin turbo? super turbo?

lol if my spelling is horrible i do apoloagize as well ill try and fix it as much as posible

um, ya know, you could just build a really nice high compression motor and turbocharge it. as long as you get the t3/4 turbo, your lag will be very minimal.

do you mean low compression?

and man 50 grand into a k20?

do you mean low compression?

no, i meant high compression. i know, the typical build is the low compression motor so you can raise the boost and force more air into the combustion chambers.

but, if done right, a high compression turbo build will create some really nice numbers. I forgot which reg on here was talking about it, but he said some of the fastest cars have been high compression turbos. I think it was ssr that said that.

and 50k, thats alot of spending money. why dont you buy a used nsx? then twin turbo that.

lol as freakin nice as nsx's are i really love my civic

explain more about this high compression/turbo engine( ya lol lets jsut say i ahve beens aving meoy since i was a very small person and i ahve about 220,000$ for a car :D (and no im nota rich kid it jsut came from saving allownce and a lot of hard work

but anyways aout this high compression ratio and turbo explin a lil more please that sounds like wat i could do well ill show yo waht my plasn are engine wise that i ahve got up so far

ENGINE

-Main Engine= 02/03+ K20A-R

- Cold Air Intake ( v2 from aem)

-Full Dual Cat-back Exhaust system/or straight pipe with led exhaust tip if possible and depending on what is done have 2-4 separate exhaust for the headers for minimal restriction/high flow and also depending maybe no cat converter

-Replace headers with high Performance headers

-High Performance Throttle Body

-High Flow Intake Manifold

-Larger diameter Down pipe, Diameter=?? Find some info on this

-Replace pistons & Piston rods with forged hand made alloy or metal but light weight and strong good performance

-Port and Polish heads

-Blue Print the Block

-Low Restriction, High Flow

-high performance racing cam shafts & Cam gears Forged hand made alloy or metal light weight and strong good performance

-intercooler

extreme port job

glass bead

fly cut head

valve job

gasket matched

valves lightned

new radius on valves

extreme reshaping of valves

staleited nitrided valves

titanium retainers

silicone bronze valve guides

forged race valve springs

custom ground cams

( I belibec the brands that are in these can be skunk2, comptech,ferrea, web cams, crower, crane

BLOCK DECKING

cnc 3-axis

BOG BORE PERFORMANCE THROTTLE BODY

throttle body mouth widening

bridge narrowing

PISTON AND ROD BALANCING

CRANK LIGHTING AND BALENCING

ALLUMINUM ALL CAM SEAL DOHC

BLOCK GUARD FOR B18 OR K20 DPEDING ON ENGINE I GET

B18 OR K20 OVERSIZED VALVES BY 0.5 MM TO MATCH

FORGED PISTONS AND RODS

FORGED/TITANIUM VALVE SPRINGS AND RETANERS

FORGED CHROME SILICONVALVE SPRINGS

POLISHING

(i think i listed som of thise things 2wice by accidnt if i did meh w/e ill fix in the final build

man with a K engine , and a good ball bearing , quality turbo , lag will not be an issue. lag comes from a turbo being too big for the application , although there will always be a little bit at the very bottom , its just the way it is. but you see honda dont have bottom anyways , lol , and when your going through the gears , your revs will not drop below 6000!! anyways , so what are you talking about lag? lol.

This guy must be making jokes, cuz 3/4 of that list is total bullcrap. Or completely unnecessary for a 4 banger.

Dude you need to do some actual research beyond your buddies and eyeballing ebay parts. Get out and read a book.

With 220,000 bucks and you wanna build your civic?

Here's what you do: use 15k of that to have a shop do a nice K swap into your civic for your daily driver.

Get a Porshe GT3 to take to the track.

well see taht teh problem taht stuff does exist for a 4banger and as for a porsche i dont want an exotic type car i like my civic

anohter reson i wanan build up a very nice civic is you never ever see anyone with a nice civic casue everyone hates them past a certain point of hp

im not screwing you guys or messin with ur minds this stuff is real that i listed youve prbly never heard of it casue it not chep stuff to do rod balencing is very important

and cranny in regards to this "man with a K engine , and a good ball bearing , quality turbo , lag will not be an issue. lag comes from a turbo being too big for the application , although there will always be a little bit at the very bottom , its just the way it is. but you see honda dont have bottom anyways , lol , and when your going through the gears , your revs will not drop below 6000!! anyways , so what are you talking about lag? lol. "

with what your saying it does make perfect sense so with the k20a-r would a huge turbo be an issue say like i dunno top of my head 25-30 psi u think taht would be to much like i know taht is deffntly a lot but with taht kind o work done to an engine and taht kind of pressure being put out by one turbo??

(bassicly i an thankfull for all your guy's help i am bassicly jsut trying to learn as much as i can so i mean no disrespect when i say this but please dont mock me and what im doing to my civic and dont post negative things against me :)

Archived