Someone edumacate me...

linuxman

On exhausts. I know a decent bit about exhausts for domestics, but this is my first import :) and I am a little worried about just finding a decent exhaust on my own and having it end up loud as hell and sounding like crap... Loud is NOT what I'm going for. I wouldnt mind a nice low rumble, but NOT loud... mostly what I would be going for is a little performance boost (if there is any to be gained by opening up the intake/exhaust) and maybe just a hint of an exhaust note. So whats a good "not-so-loud" performance exhaust I should be lookin at?

(and sorry for another exhaust thread :) )

You're not going to see a noticeable gain from your run of the mill intake and exhaust setup.

As for suggestions:

RS-R ExMag (the original ExMag, not the GT-II)

Tanabe Hyper Medalion

Apex'i World Sport / World Sport 2

You're not going to see a noticeable gain from your run of the mill intake and exhaust setup.

As for suggestions:

Tanabe Hyper Medalion

I just installed a WS2 on my sedan and love it. It is nearly stock quiet at low rpms; what you would typically be driving at if you were tooling around or commuting. Get on it a bit, or WOT and she sounds really nice. Subtle, but you can tell it's not stock.

I just installed a WS2 on my sedan and love it. It is nearly stock quiet at low rpms; what you would typically be driving at if you were tooling around or commuting. Get on it a bit, or WOT and she sounds really nice. Subtle, but you can tell it's not stock.

Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for :) Sure is pricey though...

true. was worth it to me to not sound like a bumblebee.

i found mine online from cardomain for $405 with free shipping. downside is that it took a full month for it to arrive to me.

i found mine online from cardomain for $405 with free shipping. downside is that it took a full month for it to arrive to me.

The ExMag for my CRX took 6 months to get to me, lol.

As for being pricey, yeah $400-600 could be spent on better things than an exhaust system, but so could every other penny we put into our cars that isn't for general maintenance / repairs. Every decent exhaust system will cost at least that much, it really isn't worth it to pay less for a cheaper brand.

someone on this forum told me that the comptech is a nice one but ya greddy sp2, or the apexi ws2 i like how the muffler looks on it real clean jdm look =) i may go with the sp2 though greddy is the shizznit!

No doubt. 400 is a heck of a lot less than what I found it for earlier, I just googled it for random info and the first page that pulled up showed it being like 760$ :crazy: Exhaust is probably going to be the very last thing I do to the car, first things are going to be brakes (factory rotors at just under 100k miles, slightly warped) and probably a set of 1 inch swaybars. Not sure if the springs are going to be replaced, I dont want the car any lower (it is still a daily driver after all) and the car rides fine as it is... I figure if I get a few more ponies out of it and make it stop/handle better I'll be happy :)

As for suggestions:

Tanabe Hyper Medalion

the RSR and Apexi are the worst for performance. the style muffler used is chamber style, just like stock. sure its quiet, but it sucks for flow. a straight-through design is the best by far. Greddy SP2 is probably the quietest straight-through design, its sounds like stock at idle, but upper rpms you mainly hear motor, but it still sounds great. material used too is something else to consider. any place that sees snow, youre gonna want full stainless so it doesnt rust. the SP2 is full stainless too. then theres the twinloop/twin pass.

this will tell you what mufflers have what for certain systems: http://www.team-integra.net/sections/artic...p?ArticleID=451

this will tell you more about the correct sizing and flow style: http://www.team-integra.net/sections/artic...sp?ArticleID=48

who drives there modded car in the snow anyway? are you guys insane? All the money into the car for some of you and you take it out in the snow and ice to rust away, not to mention that more accidents happen in the winter. Too much risk with that much invested. I drive the $800 truck in the winter.

stainless will last longer but costs a crapload more, but by the time the coated steel rusts out I likely won't have the car or will have completely torn it back down again and rebuilt it different anyway. For me it was a no-brainer. why pay the extra for the stainless when the car will never drive in the snow and only see 3-4k per year anyway?

who drives there modded car in the snow anyway? are you guys insane? All the money into the car for some of you and you take it out in the snow and ice to rust away, not to mention that more accidents happen in the winter. Too much risk with that much invested. I drive the $800 truck in the winter.

stainless will last longer but costs a crapload more, but by the time the coated steel rusts out I likely won't have the car or will have completely torn it back down again and rebuilt it different anyway. For me it was a no-brainer. why pay the extra for the stainless when the car will never drive in the snow and only see 3-4k per year anyway?

what the hell are you talking about? first off, my stainless SP2 was only $425 shipped, not much more than the Apexi. secondly, im willing to be most of the people here are modding their daily drivers; i know i am. i cant afford another vehicle, especially the gas to run it. it's winter 3 months out of the year here, and whether it snows or a chance to snow, DOT pours salt all over the roads. salt is the killer, not the snow. im just protecting my investment so it doesnt fall apart on my way to school. as for safety, tires are by far the easiest, most important safety item you can put on your car. i always buy the best all season directional tires. ive done fine the past 3 winters so dont you worry. having a LSD tranny helps too :thumbsup:

I was talking about exactly what I was talking about. If you drive the car minimal and don't drive it in the winter like any sports modified car should, then it doesn't matter if you buy mild steel or stainless. Talking about not being able to afford a second vehicle is ridiculous. Any person can find reasonable running beaters for under a grand - which if you can afford to put a $425 exhaust on your car, or $500 wheels, or any of the other things that people install on their car then there is no reason that you couldn't buy a second vehicle if you chose to. My car is a POS and I already have $1500 in it plus what I bought it for. Your car looks nice and unless you bought it that way I would assume you easily have that into it in cash out of your pocket. It's just protecting your investment.

I was talking about exactly what I was talking about. If you drive the car minimal and don't drive it in the winter like any sports modified car should, then it doesn't matter if you buy mild steel or stainless. Talking about not being able to afford a second vehicle is ridiculous. Any person can find reasonable running beaters for under a grand - which if you can afford to put a $425 exhaust on your car, or $500 wheels, or any of the other things that people install on their car then there is no reason that you couldn't buy a second vehicle if you chose to. My car is a POS and I already have $1500 in it plus what I bought it for. Your car looks nice and unless you bought it that way I would assume you easily have that into it in cash out of your pocket. It's just protecting your investment.

haha "sports modified"? thats rich. i like to think of my car as quick, but i dont put it on a pedestal like that. its my fun daily driver. sure ill take it to the track every so often, but its more for commuting. buying a second car is more than about just being able to afford one. you have to put insurance on it, maintain it, and find a place to keep it. the parking where i live is very limited. you do have a point in protecting it, now if i ever decide to turbo it or go all motor big time, then ill consider getting a beater. i gotta admit, i did always want one but, not where i live now.

What is this "snow" stuff you northerners keep blabbering about all the time? :D I think the last time it "snowed" here I was 2 years old, and it was less than an inch :)

Thank youuuuuuuuuu.

don't worry busted, you will have your own version of water to deal with soon enough. While ohio winters are becoming more and more rainy and less snow, it is only a matter of time before florida disappears back into the sea.

Somewhere around here eh6 has a ton of pictures of his car buried under a foot of texas snow, so don;t give me the crap about it never snowing where you live.

If you live in a nicer climate area you can save yourself a few bucks and buy a mild steel exhaust instead of a stainless. It will still rust out from the inside eventually, but chances are you won;t have the car long enough for that anyway.

Bottom line is you will get what you pay for, so if you want something that sounds better then ass you will be spending a minimum of $400 and up.

I live in Florida. I bought a Monza tip when I was in high school. Since then I have never bought any aftermarket exhaust and likely never will, but I do have one question:

What's so bad about electroplating the OEM exhaust and then polishing it?

You would only protect it from external corrosive attacks, but in a snowy wonderland, this seems to be a good idea.

But you snow people tell me.

I was going to do this to mine, but then I discovered it was rusting from the inside out and felt it was pointless.

I will probably do it the OEM Exhaust I buy to replace this one.

don't worry busted, you will have your own version of water to deal with soon enough. While ohio winters are becoming more and more rainy and less snow, it is only a matter of time before florida disappears back into the sea.

Somewhere around here eh6 has a ton of pictures of his car buried under a foot of texas snow, so don;t give me the crap about it never snowing where you live.

Somebody has some anger issuuuuesssss....

And evidently you have never been to Texas. If you have you will know good and well that while 1 small portion of the state will see snow every winter, other parts of the state never see temperatures below 50 degrees. Soooo, your dumb.

And Velocifero, it doesn't drone all that bad. Nothing a radio can't cover.

Archived