Progress

Kastigir

Pulled the head a couple of weeks ago. Had it straight-edged and all was good. Bought some new ARP head studs. Gonna order the the rest of the parts. I want to eliminate the balance shaft at this time, but my buddy who is helping me doesn't feel we're up to the challenge yet. Gonna clean the head up before I slap it back on there. It's good to know that I'm only a couple of weeks away from a running talon I hope.

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

• 6 months later...

Was suspected crankwalk, but turned out to be a shredded t-belt. I've actually reinstalled the head, but forgot to get some good pictures of the ARPs sticking out of the head. I might pull the head again just to take a pic. I ran out of time/good weather last year, so unfortunately it's not yet running. I hope to get it done once it warms up again. It is a real clean car, and I hope it becomes a running machine again. I have some nice plans for it's future.

I was going to get a 99 mirage and throw in a 4g63 out of a evo 8 and make it a ghetto evo 5 conversion. but we sold the mirage to get my lovely honda del sol. Which in the end would have been better.

I know a lot of people with evos and my best friend has a ej25 and they argue with is better and the crankwalk issue is always brought up. I laugh everytime.

is that the motor out of your TSI?

I'm going to assume you're talking to me, and yes it's the motor in the TSi.

Other pics

DSCF0055.jpg

ce1d.jpg

954a.jpg

Pretty vanilla, and totally sleeper outside of the Tanabe exhaust.

It's good to know that I'm only a couple of weeks away from a running talon I hope.

Problem being, its a dsm, so once you get it running it will only be a matter of time before it stops again..lol. With that said, i want a 97 eclipse.. basically, i like the idea of boosting 20-30 psi on stock internals. Not to mention, i always thought the eclipse/talon looked sexy.

what has been done lately?

talking about turbo eclipses...I saw a black one today with FMIC and heard the BOV from far...guy gets close says hi and I look, it's the same guy I raced a while ago in his green turbo eclipse...he even remembered my old car; maybe because I beat him with my old car lol

Problem being, its a dsm, so once you get it running it will only be a matter of time before it stops again..lol. With that said, i want a 97 eclipse.. basically, i like the idea of boosting 20-30 psi on stock internals. Not to mention, i always thought the eclipse/talon looked sexy.

20 I can see, 30 is just asking for a big boom.

what has been done lately?

Nothing, too damn cold to do anything, and I don't have a garage.

20psi wow thats amazing i didnt know you could do that to a stock dsm!!!!!

According to the DSM people on another forum, they'll actually hold up to 22, but I'm not planning on pushing it.

would you have an intercooler with that much boost?

It would be smart to, but you'll heatsoak the side mount. My plan is a 16g turbo, 20 psi, and an FMIC. As well as anything else the motor will need to handle the increased boost.

sorry to bust in with a dumb questoin, but I was actually thinking of this today and is wierd I read this, what is crank walk?? i am thinking that the bearings are slipping up or someting. thanks guys, nice talon to, used to have one, esi tho haha, did not know crap about cars when i had it though so that sucked

Mitsubishi claims it doesn't exist, but thousands of 2nd gen DSM owners know differently. Apparently, when Mitsubishi machined the cranks, they weren't real keen on tolerances. As such, many cranks were machined "out of spec", but still installed. Since the journal bearings are all one size, if you have an "out of spec" crank there will be excessive play. After normal wear & tear, the play will get to be so much, that your crank is toast. In many cases, the crank moves so much that it starts hitting the trigger plate for your crankshaft sensor. That's a real bad case of crankwalk. Most often you'll have problems with stalling, and your clutch remaining depressed when making turns. (left-handed I believe)

crankwalk is when the crankshaft starts moving around its housing. This causes the crankshaft to, at some point or another, wear into the thrust bearing heavily. This will cause the crank to eventually move a plate that will smash into the crank angle sensor, break it, and shut the car down.

oo alright thanks guys, does this happen in other cars then I take it sometimes? that would really suck to happen is there anyway to even test a crankshaft for something like that before you put it in?

intercooler yay! and maybe a bov?

and about 20psi being the most...I always think people should give it a factor of safety and go a bit less...imo

Already has a BOV.

oo alright thanks guys, does this happen in other cars then I take it sometimes? that would really suck to happen is there anyway to even test a crankshaft for something like that before you put it in?

While I'm sure it's happened to other cars, the 2nd gen DSM is infamous for it.

Archived