supercharger?

greendelsol

they do have a good reputation for being very reliable. being a basic supercharger they are not very upgradable and tend to trail off at higher speeds. the only way to get more hp is to get a different pulley. also are you talking about the new rotex supercharger or the old school roots system? if you want something you can toy with i would look at a centrifugal supercharger.

centrifugal are best. JR claims 230 whp with 8lb pully on K20A2(typeS) with thier setup , thats seriously weak. 8lbs of turbo on the same car would push about 300. twin screw chargers are FTL.

a centrifuge charger is the cold side of a turbo pretty much , thats it. instead of an exhaust turbine on the hot end , its got a pully. small pully on charger = more boost , bigger = less boost.

thats a good question for the d15. did you have a swap in mind at all or are you planning on sticking with the d15. i know if you pick up a b16 then finding a supercharger wouldnt be a problem. if you do decide to stay with the d15 you might want to call around and see if they can custom make on for you, which might be kind of expensive. i would look into procharger and vortech. those are the 2 main manufactures that i know of. and keep in mind, the money you would spend on a supercharger could pay for a new engine. i suppose it all comes down to cash flow. but keep in mind, a supercharged b18 (looking at prochargers info) would put out about 300whp.

well jackson racing claims 240 whp approx. on 8lbs. in a type S K20A2 with thier kit , but that is twin screw. so for you to tell him 300 on a B18 , no matter what kind of charger , i dont know man , dont think so. buddy of mine here runs 8lbs of turbo on his bone stock B18B1 , puts down 230 whp and 190 wt.

Lol.

Only cars that really benefit from twin-screw blowers and/or the plain jane "roots" style blower which are ESSENTIALLY the same thing..

Have eight cylinders and come from Ford. Haha.

(Just kidding though.)

yea it sounds like a lot, but centrifugal chargers are different then roots. go to procharger.com and look at the application guide. w/ 8psi, there is a 70-75% gain in hp. so assuming youre running a usdm motor thats 170hp + 70% (119)=289. now i dont know if thats just a stock motor and no mods, but it does sound like good numbers.

as for nitrus, i dont know anything really about that. i do know i work at honda and we had a car come in to get an engine rebuild because of the nitrus. it really messed up the internals. they were coated with that crap. like i said i dont know. i dont know if thats common or what.

• 4 weeks later...
i was looking at getting a Jackson Supercharger Kit and i didnt know if anyone has had any experiance w/ them?...are they good...bad....okay.....let me know if uve herd something or have on!

I just got the JR Supercharger for my '97 Del Sol Si. I don't know when I'll get the time to put it in though! Looking at it and the instructions, the thing I like about it right off is I don't have to choose between a supercharger/turbocharger and A/C. It runs off the alternator belt. However, it looks like the supercharger pulley may be too close to the frame. Page 7, Note 37b, states: "Check your car for proper clearance between the alternator pulley and the frame rail with the new stay bracket (ASB) in place. You should have at least 5mm clearance. If 5mm is not there, put a mark on your frame rail where the lack of clearance exists. Remove your belt drive/alternator stay bracket, move the alternator out of the way, and using a mallet or hammer, put a small concave recess in the frame rail until you have the proper clearance." Ouch. From one illustration, it appears the alternator is lowered from stock position.

The whole installation looks very involved and may take me a couple days - OK, so I'm slow! But, I'll try to take pix and post them. In a few months I should have access to a dyno. Unfortunately, that won't allow me to do a "before" graph.

and i hope you also understand that isntead of taking the wasted 33% power that a turbo does, a supercharger makes your engine push harder to create the vaccum, because it works on a pulley system. but, im just a turbo kind of person. Theres some forumla, i have it in a book at home, ill type it up tomorrow. Has to do with maximum power output from either of the two, they dyno tested and everything, sorry if this seems confusing. But in a nutshell they stated that you're dragging horsepower off your engine to push a supercharger, when you could be using the wasted exhaust to spool your turbo. The plus side of a supercharger is that it doesnt need tuning like a turbo, due to the fact that as your RPM climb the supercharger spins faster. To provide the most power turbos need some tuning.

It's called parasitic loss with the supercharger and that's because it's belt driven off the motor. Takes horsepower to turn it so you're losing power to make power. Superchargers need to be tuned just like turbo if you wanna get the most out of it. For the sake of argument.....you don't HAVE to tune a turbo setup either, you could just run an FMU. Tune will benefit either setup though.

Archived