Smoking tails so they last

TS John

I'm thinkin' that I liked the look of my smoked tails on my del sol, but using the Testor's model tint on them didn't last through one winter without it starting to peel off.

So, I stumbled across an ad for Lamin-X. Anybody have experience with the stuff? It's a little pricey but if it's good then it'll be worth it, I think. They guarantee it for 5 years so that's promising.

Here's their stuff:

http://lamin-x.com/showcase_smoke.php

Thoughts?

I'm thinkin' that I liked the look of my smoked tails on my del sol, but using the Testor's model tint on them didn't last through one winter without it starting to peel off.

So, I stumbled across an ad for Lamin-X. Anybody have experience with the stuff? It's a little pricey but if it's good then it'll be worth it, I think. They guarantee it for 5 years so that's promising.

Here's their stuff:

http://lamin-x.com/showcase_smoke.php

Thoughts?

My bf had that stuff on his old S2k headlights for a little while. I personally hated it, because I hate blacked-out housings. Anyway, it's essentially just a sticker that you apply. If you really want to black the tails out, then you may like it.

They don't have a kit for del sol tails so it looks like I'll be buying sheets from their bulk sales stuff. If anyone wants to get in on this hot fire and maybe get a lot for less money that could be sweet. I dunno how many black tail fans there are out there, but it's worth a shot I guess.

They don't have a kit for del sol tails so it looks like I'll be buying sheets from their bulk sales stuff. If anyone wants to get in on this hot fire and maybe get a lot for less money that could be sweet. I dunno how many black tail fans there are out there, but it's worth a shot I guess.

You may want to try contacting them about having them made, and ask them if a group buy would be possible if you had enough interest. My bf bought a couple of the S2k headlight ones when there was a gb going on, so they were like $10-20 each. (They're listed on the site for around $50)

Yo tsjohn this is the best stuff you can buy. It sprays on and makes taillights look like they came from the factory stock. You can get an array of colors. I have seen this stuff last 5+ years. Here is a link, you can find it cheaper somewhere else but this is what it looks like.

The secret to perfect tailights

edit: Better selections

I suggest this stuff for anyone who bought alteezas or other junk looking taillights. Just spray them red and you are good to go!

Interesting. They're about the same price, though, and I feel like I'd rather have the Lamin X film that would peel off in case I ever wanted to go back to stock, rather than have to buy new tails.

Is that paint what you used on your tails? By the way, I once had tails exactly like yours:

newrearend.jpg

i did my old 91 civic , i used niteshades spray tint john. very light coats on tails after lightly scuffed with 600 grit scotchbrite pad. keep putting coats on till you reach desired shade. i went a step further cause it didnt dry all that shiny although puts a nice tint on them. i clearcoated them as well , made them look mint. brings depth to them as well as making them shiny.

Yeah, I'm just not sure I trust the sprays any more. Those looked mint. For about six months. Then I had to brillo pad them off. I think I'm gonna take CRG's advice and contact them asking for pricing on a bulk kit buy from Lamin X.

Interesting. They're about the same price, though, and I feel like I'd rather have the Lamin X film that would peel off in case I ever wanted to go back to stock, rather than have to buy new tails.

Is that paint what you used on your tails? By the way, I once had tails exactly like yours:

newrearend.jpg

You have to be somewhat experienced with painting to do a good job. The vans paint makes it almost impossible to mess up. No clear needed, if you do it right it comes out extremely glossy. Tsjohns tails have a lot of orange peel.

You can always spray the tails red again. You should probably go with the stickers though john.

Well, I used the Testors Candy Apple Red to red out my tails. I haven't seen any fading or anything...most I've seed is a rock chip, not much else. You can lightli sand, but as long as they're clean, you don't really have to do too much work. The trick is to use adhesion promoter, sit 10 minutes(less if it's hot out), a ton of coats then a good amount of clear. Here's how mine turned out. Once I get the kit, I may balck them out...not sure yet:

GSRT-New-8.jpg

So, if anyone wants to black their tails with a kit from Lamin X, let me know soon and I'll try to rig something up. Kegger, I'm lookin at you.

I want to blackout my tail lights too, but they are not completely flat so it might be to hard with the lamin X. I think if you use the spray it will probably last longer. I might take that route.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with a sol wanna measure the tails for me? They say they can cut something that's about right to fit with a minimum of extra stuff but I need a good measurement of the tails. I did a quick one and got about 18" across at the widest points and 9" tall I think, but I'd like that verified. If you know the exact dimensions or a place where I could find them that'd work too. Thanks.

I took some measurements today as I was waxing. Emailed them to Lamin-X asking the price for a custom kit, which I'll post up later on. Here's my measurements rounded up to the next inch.

9" tall

14" across top

18" across bottom

Archived