My engine is bogging really bad!!!!

Okay, I've got a problem that has my car out of commision. First a background......

Recently changed the spark plugs and tranny fluid, but have driven about 300 miles with no problems since then......so I don't think it's either of those.

Cleaned the engine bay with water, etc.... but have driven about 40 miles with no problems since then.

This weekend I pulled my valve cover off and painted it, reinstalled it and was careful to get the gasket seated properly.....accidentaly stripped one of the outer bolts tightening the valve cover down (but don't think that's the problem). Also pulled the intake and painted it too and oiled the filter while it was out.

So......I drove the car with no problems right after getting it back together. Then about an hour later went for another drive and the car is bogging really really bad. If I give it very little gas it won't bog, but as soon as I give it any decent amount of gas to get moving, it bogs like it's running on 2 or 3 cylinders. Runs fine at idle and you can slightly hear the bog if you rev it while at idle. It's definately the worst if you give it very much gas while driving though. Help me....cause I have no idea.

Checked spark plugs twice and they're torqed at 13 lbs. Checked the distriubutor cap and no water inside....checked the plug wires about 30 times and they're all snug. One injector wire got slightly pinched by the valve cover, but didn't damage either of the wires. What should I check next???

it happened to me once. same situation, i cleaned my engine and it started to bog out but when i checked it i found water in the spark plugs. maybe replace the fuel filter or clean the injectors, change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and see if it still does it. good luck nate.

do yourself a favor and dont spray under your hood anymore. its definitely an ignition component or problem hung. what kind of plugs did you put in it? its prolly water somewheres making spark jump to ground instead of the plug.

I used NGK V-Power's (coppers). Here's a weird one. Took it for a quick drive this morning before doing anything and it ran fine. Drove it til it warmed up and then took it to redline in 1st and 2nd. Drove fine and didn't bog. Then I turned around down the road to come back and took it to redline again and it started bogging again.

So, in short, the problem is only there when the car get's fully warmed up. This makes me wonder if one of the plugs I put in is crapping out when the engine gets fully warmed up. I'm going to go throw the old plugs in and go from there.

I think I found the problem. I think I might have had a little water in the spark plug hole like nancy said and might have damaged one of the plugs. I put the old plugs back in and it's running fine now. I drove it for about 15 minutes with no bogging.

By the way....here's a picture of the plugs I just removed (the ones in for 300 miles). It looks to me like I'm running lean? Anybody confirm. If so, what can I do about that? Do I have to get a tune to fix the problem??

IMG_0792.jpg

those plugs look like they are burning fine man , they are very young so hard to judge as good as you could if they have been in there longer.

UPDATE: It wasn't the plugs at all. The problem?.......I'm an idiot. The valve cover gasket didn't get set properly (off track) in one area on the back side. It was leaking oil out of it onto the injector clip closest to the dizzy. When I would give it gas, that injector was cutting out. Fixed the gasket last night and cleaned up all the oil and drove to work (40 miles) this morning and it's driving fine......put the newer plugs back in too. There is a little bit of oil this morning (checked when I got to work), but I think it's from not getting it all wiped up well so.....we'll see......might need to get a new gasket to be safe.

Oh no! Oil in your pristine engine bay, man! You gotta get that crap outta there!

Glad you fixed it, man. When Hung's perfect car is getting messed up my whole conception of the world is rocked to the core.

Archived