Del Sol Project Car

skwid

I am going to go ahead and start this thread a little early and update fairly often as we are moving along pretty fast with this build. Here is a little background without going in too much. We started out looking for a convertible of some sorts. She wanted a small convertible for the summer. Instantly I thought of a Miata, s2k, or something but she didn't like either of those. She was reading through a newspaper one day and asked me what a Del Sol was. I thought for a minute and was like yeah I think that was a little 2 seater... Anyway we ended up buying it. Here goes...

Budget : We really don't have one but I'd rather not spend $30k on a Del Sol so we are winging it here.

1995 Honda Del Sol S - $2,500

Car was in excellent shape and was a one owner adult. It has 120,000 miles on it and really only needed paint. The interior was not dirty but more like littered with crap. It needed a serious vacuum. I took the advice from someone on this forum about carpet dye. As soon as it gets back from the body shop, tire place, and exhaust shop we will be tearing the interior out and dying the carpet along with leather seats from leatherseats.com.

New Custom Pink Paint With Pearl - $3,500

Decided on a pink with pink accents for the interior. It's not a pepto bismol pink but rather a hot pink kinda with some really fine flake in it to make it shine. Actually looks alot like my Z's paint except Pink. Body work was more than we paid for the car.... What's wrong here?

Also we have purchased new seals for the entire car. New Weather stripping, door channel. You name it. If it's rubber it's new.

EVO 5 Body Kit

We were going to keep it simple. My Wife never really liked body kits but then one day she changed her mind... Now we have a EVO 5 getting installed.

17x7 Motegi Racing DV5's + Tires

Motegi Racing DV5 Wheels for the daily driving that may happen. They look clean and were cheap :)

17x7 Axis Reverb Blacks (Show Only) + Tires

I am in Love with AXIS and VOLK Wheels. Need I say more.

Other things ready to be installed:

• Invader CF Hood
  • Greddy EVO 2 Exhaust
  • Leather Seats.com Seats with Custom Pink Embroidery and Stiching
  • Shift Boot and eBrake Boot with Pink Stitching
  • Eibach Pro Sport Suspension Kit
  • Street Glow LED Undercar Kit
  • Shift Knob
  • Sweet floor mats from Del Sol Tuner
  • One Piece Smoked Headlights with HID's
  • Altezza style Tail Lights
  • New bulbs all the way around

Here are a couple of pictures of a few things:

Del Sol

Del Sol 2

Eibach Pro System

Body Shop - EVO Front

Body Shop - EVO Rear

DV5 Wheels

Boots

And of course the one thing alot of you have been wondering... What about the Engine?

Well, we thought long and hard on this one. In the end we decided to rebuild the D15B7 engine that is currently in it. It purrs like a kitten now but my wife is not crazy about tons of power at her toes so we are going to stick with the original motor. We are pulling it out and cleaning it up and the usual rebuild work, but then we are installing the Civic Greddy turbo kit for the D15/D16. It won't make crazy power but it will put a little kick in it's step. Especially for such a small car. Hell my Z makes 400hp / 422tq and it's not enough but you know. Also the car didn't come with Power Steering and We'll be adding that to the motor ASAP. Anyway pics of this as soon as we get it back. Things will move pretty fast. Keep checking back for more pictures and updates. We should have something else to post by the end of next week.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some updated photos. The Car is almost done in the Body Shop. The Car is a hot pink color with silver flake and sports the EVO 5 Body Kit. I can't figure out how to get the images to show without being links but here are the links.

Body Shop

Body Shop 2

Body Shop 3

Almost Done 1

Almost Done 2

Almost Done 3

Almost Done 4

Almost Done 5

Thanks for posting them up. I will use it for reference next time.

I am pretty sure we will pick the car up Monday from the Shop and by Friday next week we should have the Wheels, Tires, Suspension, Hood, etc.. installed and I'll post up pictures as it progresses.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is another Update. Got the Wheels Installed, New Axles, New Molding, New Headlights, New Taillights, New Driving Lights, Etc.... The exterior is almost done minus some

graphics going on there. The Carbon Fiber hood won't be here until next week and then I'll post another picture. Also tucked into the REAR is

the new Tanabe SMH Cat back Exhaust. Take a look and tell me what you think.

DSCF1594.JPG

DSCF1595.JPG

DSCF1596.JPG

DSCF1597.JPG

DSCF1599.JPG

DSCF1600.JPG

DSCF1601.JPG

DSCF1602.JPG

Probably the first kit bumper I've ever seen that actually didn't touch the exhaust and get roasted.

All in all, it doesn't look TOO bad..I'm not partial to the EVO style front kit bumpers, but hey..not my car. Color is pretty loud, too. Which is good, in my book.

Looks decent, for the body build style to be about seven years old.

Probably the first kit bumper I've ever seen that actually didn't touch the exhaust and get roasted.

All in all, it doesn't look TOO bad..I'm not partial to the EVO style front kit bumpers, but hey..not my car. Color is pretty loud, too. Which is good, in my book.

Looks decent, for the body build style to be about seven years old.

Yeah my wife wanted loud. I had no say in the color :)

Anyway I never liked EVO style front ends either but this one actually turned out fairly well. It's got a few flaws starting to pop up that we have to take it back to the body shop

to get corrected. We chose to go with a Hybird Fiberglass version and it's been tricky to get fitted good but overall it's good.

I will shoot some interior photos as soon as I get a chance. I still have to pull the carpet and dye it and also put the leather seat covers on. Then the last things are Motor / Turbo

and sound system. The Motor is identical to the D15B7 in the car and we are just building it up as a NON Vtec Turbo. I'm only looking to make 200 whp MAX. Anything more than

that is a little much for her.

My Z you can see in the background is currently making 400whp and 422 wtq. I put all the $$ in the motor and not the exterior. I still gotta work on that department sometime.

Anyway thanks for looking.

Quality work, even though I don't care for the styling. It'll be a good show car, though, I guess. It might need the stock sol wing to round it out more. Just don't get a metal one.

I've been trying to tell her to get the stock wing but she's highly opposed to wings. I am trying to find out if the car has a place to bolt up Sway bars and Strut tower bars. It has a little too much Roll for my tastes. Anyway we have a VIS Invader Carbon fiber hood but I don't want to put it on just yet until the Body shop irons out some problems. The front end needs to come back off and fix a few things.

J

How can you be opposed to wings and like vader hoods and body kits? Just put it on when she's out of town -- guaranteed if she sees it she'd love it, especially when you get the hood on there.

I'd deffo recommend a full anti-sway kit for it, since I too am experiencing too much body roll on my new, stock sol. Get some sway bars and an ASR rear subframe brace, and some strut tower bars too, though I maintain that those are mostly for looks (which is sort of what you're after with this it seems). If Tanabe's sway bars and reinforcements are as good as their exhausts I'd get them. Or try Password JDM (heartily recommend their intakes from experience by the way), though I don't have any experience with sway bars of any kind. Gonna look into it for myself though, soon.

I've been trying to tell her to get the stock wing but she's highly opposed to wings.

Good :thumbsup: I have yet to see a wing on a del Sol that looks good.

:chair: For doing that to a del sol. Lots of work, and glad you like it, but looks horrible.

At least it's just an S though. An Si would be sad, a VTEC would be heartbreak heh.

better then sitting in a junkyard turning into a rusty heap. these folks look like they will take good care of it....even if it is pink

looks pretty good imo

better then sitting in a junkyard turning into a rusty heap. these folks look like they will take good care of it....even if it is pink

looks pretty good imo

I hardly think a del Sol in "excellent" condition, with 120k on it would be rusting away in a junkyard whether they purchased it or not :p

The quality of the work looks good, but the result is far from my tastes.

I was using extremes, but just pointing out someone taking care of it vs someone not taking care of it.

I don't like the pink, and not saying that cause I am a guy, I just don't think that pink cars are attractive. I don't like my vehicles looking like a medication I take when I have gas.

Although this shot is dead sexxy:

slide on some smoked or blacked head lights, find a way to smoke the round lights in the bumper and you will have a much more unified look.

DSCF1594.JPG

looks pretty good imo

Thank you very much. It's been fully restored with Louis Vuitton Interior, Leather seats from Leatherseats.com, all new suspension, etc... I will take TS Johns advice

and get a full compliment of sway bars and upper stiffeners.

I was using extremes, but just pointing out someone taking care of it vs someone not taking care of it.

I don't like the pink, and not saying that cause I am a guy, I just don't think that pink cars are attractive. I don't like my vehicles looking like a medication I take when I have gas.

Although this shot is dead sexxy:

slide on some smoked or blacked head lights, find a way to smoke the round lights in the bumper and you will have a much more unified look.

DSCF1594.JPG

Those headlights actually are smoked but not nearly as dark as the tail lights. I didn't really like the Eurolites for the front when we first got them but they seem to look ok for

now. I found a sweet set of PIAAs that are smoked. I may swap those sometime.

The Motor is looking good. It should make about 200-220 whp when it's all said and done. But like I said earlier. Even with new Eibach Springs and Struts, this thing has crazy body roll. I will be addressing that ASAP.

Oh, and 100% of all the Molding and Weather stripping is brand new.

Jeremy

Archived