Opinion on this suspension mod

Well, I'm dropped a good 3 inches which is borderline too much for illumina's. I don't bottom out, but want to assure a good lifespan on the shocks.

So, I can't weld so can't make extended top hats.....broke, so can't buy GC Extended top hats......so looking at this suspension mod. Will give an inch extra shock travel (would be like if I was dropped 2 inches instead of 3 as far as the shock's concerned)

It's the DIY halfway down "Part 2"

I could pretty easily do this myself with my dremel to grind off the perch. THoughts?

I would not be comfortable putting a dent into the body of my shock. I wouldnt do that. If I were you, I would maybe buy an extra set of top hats and see if anyone you know knows someone that can weld it for you.

Yeah, the dent is the only thing that concerns me....but I really don't see it being a problem. I would get an extra set of top hats and have them made, but can't seem to find a set anywhere. I might just wait and save up for the GC top hats. They give about an extra inch of shock travel which should work. If anybody comes accross a set of DIY ones for sale anywhere, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the lower fork mod yesterday and all I can say is Wow. Wasn't too hard, and I didn't even take the shock off the car. Dropped the fork, grinded the weld, etc..... Also, the "denting" the shock part is not needed at all. My shock went back together just fine without that step...just get it lined up right. Anyway, much more shock travel and much smoother ride.

I'd definately reccomend this DIY to anybody with Coilovers and a pretty extensive drop. I'm not going to even bother with the top hats up front now, but still need to do them to get some extra travel in the back.

Dang, I missed this thread.

But, from my quick skim of your link you can do a quick and easy mod to your shocks to give them an extra inch of travel space? So, that plus extending your top hats would allow you to drop 2" and not feel dropped at all? Cuz that would be sick.

Yeah, if you do the lower fork mod and the top hats then you'll gain back 2" of travel from dropping the car. You can only do the lower fork mod if you have coilovers though. Doing that mod drops the car an inch so you have to use the coilovers to raise it an inch so you keep the same height.....otherwise, you'd just be lowering the car another inch instead of gaining shock travel.

When you put sleeves on it send me back the springs, then. The suspension it's rockin' right now is nice and I'd use them on something else, possibly the rex if they would fit.

This opens up new possbilities. I think I will lower the new sol now, once I get my LS meshies for it. Get a nice GC coilover setup going with a 2-2.5" drop and get the extended top hats and do this mod. And voila! Looks low but won't feel low.

Archived