new Del Sol project help

les.delancy

Let me start with some background info. I am ASE Certfifed Master Tech, but have never gotten into modifying imports or EFI/computer tuning before. I have built quite a few old school american muscle cars, as well as Jeeps and other 4x4s. I am planning my first import/high tech street car and need some help. I am currently in my ninth month of a 12-24 month deployment in Iraq. I want to find and buy a car now, so that my daughter and I can build it over the next 3-4 years after I get home and have it ready for her when she starts driving. Let me tell you what I think I want and you guys can tell me what you think is right or wrong about it, and what is just part of my fantasy world. With help from experienced people like you on sites like this and a lot of research, I'm sure I can figure this all out. I just don't want to go in blind and make a mistake when I buy the car! Let me know what year ect. to look for. I want to start with an unmolested stock vehicle.

1.6L DOHC VTEC

hard top convertible (removeable targa top)

power windows to include rear glass

large brakes (15" stock wheels), 4 wheel disc w/ABS

some advice on the tranny, will the autos handle performance mods?

does any certain year have a better suspension?

THANKS!!

ok, so you want a del sol.

1.6 DOHC VTEC is the del sol VTEC model only. so opt out the S and Si models.

all sols have power windows and power rear window.

4 wheel discs, all Si and VTEC models have.

pretty sure the largest rim they came with is 14" too.

depending on your performance mods and your future goal to your "build" will determine if the tranny can handle it. id base your preference of transmission for you, not the build (if you want auto or manual).

not sure about the suspension.

after 96 they got rid of the projector lamps in front and changed the front bumper. as for what year to go for, its all in preference.

oh and btw, the VTEC model started in 94.

the VTEC model only came with a manual transmission.

b16a is the engine code for the DOHC VTEC engine, it will come in handy when looking for parts.

what year are you looking for, the only differences were a different front end, different wheels, and different color combinations on the interior.

1994 and 1995:

4597_Honda_Del_Sol_620200630507PM1.JPGALY63736U.jpg

1996 and 1997:

1001-1.jpgALY63747U.jpg

So far it sounds like I should look for a '95 VTEC model. This one has the 1.6 DOHC? And only a manual tranny? With a b16a engine (1.6DOHC?). I have been told that not all Del Sol's had the targa top, but I have never seen one without it, is this true? I know that I have sold tires in a 195/50R15 to Del Sol owners with what I am pretty sure were stock wheels (then again maybe they were just unimpressive aftermarket wheels). Do they all have the same size brakes (rotors?)

Any body got suggestions for a strong street build that won't push the bottom end to the limits? Maybe a turbo/inercooler kit, and new computer/fuel management system? I plan to take any advise and twist it together with tons of research. Not asking anybody for a magic formula, but no suggestion would be unwanted. Anthing you can throw out would be great! I definately don't mind going all out on suspension/steering and brakes. I just don't want to go full competition on the engine. It will be driven by a young girl, and I want it to last for as long as possible. Everybody let it fly, I want to hear it all!

Thanks again!!

I found a car and I would like some input.

The ad says it is a '93 SI Vtec.

It says it has a 1.6L VTEC SOHC, can that be right? I thought the 1.6 VTECs were all DOHC.

Also, it says 4 wheel disc, but doesn't mention ABS. Should this car have ABS?

And it lists an automatic tranny, I thought all VTECs were manuals.

The VIN is JHMEH6266PS002383.

Is this really a SOHC, and if so is the engine worth the effort?

Any info and advise you could give would be much appreciated!!!! THANKS!!

http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/external/vie...GwOq9bDgDaCTSi3 (valid for 14 days)

If the link doesn't work the points to note are that there are no reported accidents and the last reported mileage is 183,726 miles. It also points out that this car was bought at an auction by a dealer, and offers the following recommendation:

Be sure to buy this vehicle from a licensed dealer - A curbstoner is a person who purchases vehicles at volumes that require a dealer license and then poses as a private seller to sell to unsuspecting buyers for a large profit. Curbstoning is illegal in most States.

I found a car and I would like some input.

The ad says it is a '93 SI Vtec.

It says it has a 1.6L VTEC SOHC, can that be right? I thought the 1.6 VTECs were all DOHC.

Also, it says 4 wheel disc, but doesn't mention ABS. Should this car have ABS?

And it lists an automatic tranny, I thought all VTECs were manuals.

Is this really a SOHC, and if so is the engine worth the effort?

Any info and advise you could give would be much appreciated!!!! THANKS!!

I'm just gonna clear some things up for you...

many people list the si model as a vtec model. It has the VTEC variable valve timing, but it is only a single cam. The actual vtec (dohc) model only has a manual, and there was no DOHC model in 93. the si model only has 125-127hp (depending on the year). The dohc vtec model has 160 hp. the si model didn't have abs until 94. all dohc vtec models have abs. now... weather or not it is worth the effort is entirely debateable. it depends on what you are looking for. you start off with 33-35 more hp, which is a decent difference for that small a car.

I'm just gonna clear some things up for you...

many people list the si model as a vtec model. It has the VTEC variable valve timing, but it is only a single cam. The actual vtec (dohc) model only has a manual, and there was no DOHC model in 93. the si model only has 125-127hp (depending on the year). The dohc vtec model has 160 hp. the si model didn't have abs until 94. all dohc vtec models have abs. now... weather or not it is worth the effort is entirely debateable. it depends on what you are looking for. you start off with 33-35 more hp, which is a decent difference for that small a car.

Thank you! I guess what I'm really asking is if the SOHC Vtec can be built to 400-500HP. And, can the auto tranny be built to handle it? I plan to build the bottom end for as much strength as possible. Thank you all for all of your help!

yea, there are many more options out there for aftermarket clutches than there are for aftermarket torque converters. manual is probably better. the newer years had less problems with leakage in the targa and trunk. mine doesn't leak at all (96). 93 was the first year, and probably would have its imperfections.

I wouldnt try to push much on the auto tranny. If she is going to have 4-500 hp, she should learn to drive a stick.

She actually does know how to drive a stick. She tools around in my farm truck, the tractor, and my flat fender at the house just fine. I just always preferred, when I was building and driving muscle cars (and I know this is a very unpopular opinion, and is sure to get tons of negative feedback) to have an auto. I can easliy build a TH400 or 4L80E (or TF727 for that matter) to handle massive amounts of power. I just don't know what's out there as far as after market parts support for import autos. Does any one know of anyone who has built one of these autos behind that kind of motor? Is it even possible to get that kind of power out of the SOHC 1.6? I know being possible doesn't make it easy or even reasonable. I don't mind a lot of work or expense, I just don't want to start out on something that just isn't going to work at all. I'm not sure about strength factors in these engine blocks (like cast webbing, main cap load distribution, ect...) I don't want to spend a ton of time and money on something that is destined to tear itself apart in short order. This site has been super helpful so far, thanks for all of the input!

when building up an import you have to be carefull on choosing your goals. what exactly do you want this car to be? reliable? fast? comfortable? do you want it to have a smooth powerband that pulls hard at most RPM? with a fwd setup you run into lots of traction issues when putting that much power out of a 1.6L. yes, the d16z6 can handle that much hp when properly built, but it would require a large turbo, and unless you spend the extra $$ for a good ball bearing turbo like the GT series, then you won't get most of the power until later in the powerband. a 1.6L I4 is much different from a 5.0L+ v8. there isn't much torque below 4k. often a car that is built well with around 260-300 whp will be faster than a car that is pushing 400+, mostly due to when the power is made and traction issues. Imports also tend to favor better power to weight ratio, rather than all out power. manuals are a little lighter than automatics too. just wondering what your goals are for this car because then it will be a lot easier to help you out.

edit for spelling

when building up an import you have to be carefull on choosing your goals. what exactly do you want this car to be? reliable? fast? comfortable? do you want it to have a smooth powerband that pulls hard at most RPM? with a fwd setup you run into lots of traction issues when putting that much power out of a 1.6L. yes, the d16z6 can handle that much hp when properly built, but it would require a large turbo, and unless you spend the extra $$ for a good ball bearing turbo like the GT series, then you won't get most of the power until later in the powerband. a 1.6L I4 is much different from a 5.0L+ v8. there isn't much torque below 4k. often a car that is built well with around 260-300 whp will be faster than a car that is pushing 400+, mostly due to when the power is made and traction issues. Imports also tend to favor better power to weight ratio, rather than all out power. manuals are a little lighter than automatics too. just wondering what your goals are for this car because then it will be a lot easier to help you out.

edit for spelling

This is why I'm looking for advise from people wih experience.When I say I'm looking for 400-500HP I am probably leaning too much on memories of building old heavy muscle cars. Things like needing a good ball bearing turbo are what I need to know. I don't mind spending money if it will produce what I want. I'm looking for a really fast street car that will be reasonably reliable and handle exceptionally well. But, I'm not trying to build an all out racer. If 300-350HP will make a super impressive street car, then that's OK too. I would like a nice smooth power band, but I do realize that a turbo car is a bit peaky by design. If I wanted a really smooth ride and lots of comfort, I would buy her a Cadillac. I could always make sure the auto is in top working order in stock form, and then if it dies I could swap in a stick. I just don't know if an auto to stick conversion is doable in these FWD imports. I hope this tells you what you wanted to know. Thanks for all the help!

I remember hearing someone mention a place that converts over automatic transmissions to allow them to handle the stress of more horsepower. I'm pretty sure they are called "Bulletproof Transmissions" or something like that. I'm gonna see if I can find more info on them.

I remember hearing someone mention a place that converts over automatic transmissions to allow them to handle the stress of more horsepower. I'm pretty sure they are called "Bulletproof Transmissions" or something like that. I'm gonna see if I can find more info on them.

Thanks, that's awesome! I'll see what I can find on the net. If you dig up any more info, let me know.

you are pretty set on getting this car, arent you? personally I usually don't buy a car unless I can see it in person and test drive it, and since you won't be able to work on it until you get back, you might want to consider waiting to get the car, just a suggestion. manuals are a lot easier and cheaper to build for power, and there are a lot more places that can build them for you. and a del sol with 300-350 whp and good traction can probably hit low 12's at the track, I'm not sure if 11's are possible with that. it has a lot to do with traction and the powerband and the transmission.

Not really dead set, just liking it. I love the color and the interior looks clean. With the amount of engine and suspension work I have planned, the mileage isn't a major concern. If my current max bid doesn't stand, then I start looking again. Will probably look more for a '95 VTEC model. I called my daughter today and she seemed to like the idea of a stick (kids, go figure!) All the help from you guys has been great, I definatly plan to stay on here for a while! There is still a ton I don't know. I'll let you know how the car buying comes out on the little lime. My wife won't be thrilled if she has to go to VA to get it, she said no more vehicles when I got my last Jeep (she's runing out of room to hide them behind the barn) LOL! If you were starting a project like this, what would be your ideal platform? I plan to do all of the mechanical work myself, I will just have to use someone else for major body work and machine work. I just have to do some research and find the best parts. I would like the car sitting at the house when I get there, but if not it's no big deal.

the vtec model is the best platform IMO, but thats just me. I like that it comes with front and rear sway bars and a front strut bar, and that the suspension is stiffer, and on top of that it has all the features of the si. I also like that it only comes in manual. I believe that all real sports cars should be manual only, with the exception of drag cars, since the auto can shift faster. you remind me of my father a lot. he's always getting project cars, and my mom gets all pissed off and says we already have too many cars, etc etc. and he doesn't like manuals anymore really. I guess you get lazy as you get older and the prospect of a manual deminishes in enticement.

LOL! You're probably right on both points; I did build my cars to drag race, and I am getting old and lazy. I'm going to start hunting for a '95 VTEC. I didn't know all that about the suspension, that's the kind of info I was fishing for. And definatley don't want OBDII! I saw what said it was a '95 VTEC, but I was confused by the lack of a spoiler. Did all VTEC models come OEM with spoilers? I really like the spoiler on your car, is that OEM? My bid on the lil' lime didn't hit the morons reserve (got lucky I guess)! I'm starting to think people list cars as a VTEC model just because it has a VTEC engine. How can I tell if they are incorrectly listing an Si?

either if it's an auto, or if it doesn't have a spoiler, other than that, by the color, or pictures of the gauges. the VTEC redlines a 8K rpm. thats another good thing about obd1, the 95 VTEC sol redlines at 8,250rpm, but mine (obd2) redlines at 8,000rpm. I had a thread a little earlier where I asked that very question about the spoiler. I like it a lot. I think all VTECs have it. black is a good color for the del sol, just a bit hard to keep clean.

either if it's an auto, or if it doesn't have a spoiler, other than that, by the color, or pictures of the gauges. the VTEC redlines a 8K rpm. thats another good thing about obd1, the 95 VTEC sol redlines at 8,250rpm, but mine (obd2) redlines at 8,000rpm. I had a thread a little earlier where I asked that very question about the spoiler. I like it a lot. I think all VTECs have it. black is a good color for the del sol, just a bit hard to keep clean.

So, the '95 Si redlines at 8,000? The woman with the car doesn't understand the difference between an Si and a VTEC. She just knows that the valve cover says VTEC on it. If it's a real VTEC, I gota get it. It's a one owner car with 104,000mi and she only wants 2,000. I'll get her to look at the tach.

No, theh 95 VTEC model redlines at around 8200. The Si is around 7200 I think. Also you can ask if it's DOHC. Unless the car had an engine swap the VTEC model is the only one with a DOHC. Also, if you see the engine, it will say DOHC VTEC on the VTEC models only.

There were only pictures of the outside, and she doesn't even know what DOHC means. She says she'll look at the tach and let me know "when the little line things get red" as she said. I asked her to e-mail me some more pics (of interior and engine), but she's not sure if she knows how. She had to have a freind post the pics and add for her. We'll see!

Archived