Cylinder Head Flow

I would say go with the Intake flow 185cfm and Exhaust flow 150cfm.

The reason I say this is because if the port is too big, it will reduce the air velocity, which without some major, major work for the 215cfm and exhaust flow of 185cfm, will not get you the power you might expect. The first option is a reasonable port, that will give you some extra hp, the second option, being that it's a huge port, would probably reduce throttle response and, not knowing from experience, might kill your top-end power without a full-race head....hmm

Option #1 FTW!

Hate to jump on the bandwagon and just say option 1, but I do agree. I'm always for bumping low end torque, since Hondas need all the bumps they can get for them. As you say, HP is just a meaningless number without real power.

Still, it depends on how intensive your build is going to be. The higher potential flow of the second one might be nice once you get it really where you want it to be.

any way you look at it , any type of racing , you spend more time in top end than you do low. im with 2nd option , plus i dont think the 2nd option will hurt your low end like your thinking. more flow the better if you ask me , unless its just a stock engine.

It will be on my stock block for a little while, but not drastically long.

When you race, low end matters for three seconds.

With a good geared tranny, low end doesn't really exist.

I might do option 1 with 1mm oversized valves.

i seen you mentioned that in your other thread solles , upping your valve sizes. in a small or big block V8 with 2 valves in each cylinder id say fuk yeah , but i dont know how its gonna work out in a honda engine. there tight as it is. not to mention , that mod would most likely be exspensive as fuk. than custom valves would be needed to fill the holes

my opinion was if he were to place the head on a stock block....if Mike wants an all out race car, then f*ck yeah go with option 2, i was just thinking option 1 is more "street friendly"

It might not matter in a drag but in autox it'll matter more.

even in autox dude , really , if you let your revs drop under 4 at the very least at any time during the race , you shouldnt be racing , lol. this old myth of you guys thinking you lose velocity for flow , but really , in N/A engines , its drawing its own air in , so the more the better period , imo.

no cranny, high velocity = better low end torque it isn't a myth.

If i can find some dyno sheets of the vw engines i'm into, I'll show you that on the 70's busses had almost a completly flat torque curve, and I mean flat. (20ftlbs different from idle to peak torque.) And its all because of very small, almost restrictive intakes.

lift is only one part though SSR. cant look at the flow from one angle(lift) when theres 2 responsible. duration as well. although duration doesnt mean a whole lot on a boosted car , or not nearly as much.

Cranny, I swear every chance you get you try to disprove and argue with SSR. Idk, he sound illogical sometimes but you're always the one to jump on it.That's my 2 cents. Continue with the discussion topic.

well say no more , from now on , you guys listen to him without questioning what he says. i out of it. i mean he is 19 , he must know it all by now. what help could another opinion have? none obviously.the guy is saying look at the flow from the lift you have , when lift is only one part of what gives you the flow rate you have , anyways whatever. have fun discussing.

Are the flow numbers from the head measured at 100% lift? If so then I guess a different cam would totally change those numbers. And what cam are they using to measure the numbers?? NOW I see why those numbers mean nothing.

sorry, cranny. didn't mean 2 be hatin'

if your measureing the airflow with the head on a bench , than lift is all you could go by , cause you would do it with the valves all the way open , not opening and closing. so on a flowbench i guess duration would mean fuk all.

SSR was talking about the flow rating of a cam i thought , in which case both duration and lift would be in the equation thats all im saying. and the flow rating of a cam would be useless as well , cause it all depends on what kind of head and whats done to the head. so if you were gonna give a flow rating on a cam it would be so much CFM , with this setup in particular. so if your buying a cam and not putting it in the situation it was tested in , the rating is no good for you. although , if all the cams for sale were tested in the same head , than youd know which one flowed more air. kind of , like i said all depends on whats done to the head as well.

Archived