Nitrous?opinion

hondadrifter

I drive a 95 honda civic ex. I have left the stock motor in it. So far i have an apexi catback with a arospeed high flow catalytic converter also some port matched obx-r headers. I have a akimoto short ram intake....blah blah blah thats the motor bullcrap so far....my further plans is to do a obx-r cam sprocket and a zex camshaft. Afterwards i was looking into doing a 65 shot of zex. What must i do to prevent engine damage. i was thinking maybe upgrade my fuel pump and maybe like fuel rail and regulator....i already bought a autometer air-fuel ratio guage to monitor everything..what do you think?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nitrous fogger system is much safer for the engine, but if you need to take shots of laughing gas, make sure your Compression Ratio isn't too high so you don't shoot rods out of your block. I'm not an expert on NO2, mainly because I'll never put it on my ride, but that's all I know.

Don't go with Zex. Bad, bad stuff.

If you are gonna go with nitrous on the Civic go with NX or NOS. Safer for the car and you might get more of a horsepower gain out of those two kits then you would with Zex. I know for sure that NX will give you the horsepower you want at the ground, that's how they rate their jets. So if you have a 75 shot in, you will be pushing an extra 75 hp to the ground. Period.

I am also not a big fan of the nitrous, I just consider it cheating in a way but that is a whole nother disscussion.....

and yet again another "i can drift my fwd" guy 

this comming from a person who has a 240sx and is on a HONDA forum. your one to talk buddy. next you'll be making fun of the people who put type-r on their honda, and your name is.........s14silvia? silvia as in the right hand drive japan spec 240sx? wow. :rolleyes: i don't know who hondadrifter is (i love the name 8) ) but he seems like he know's his stuff. and he has the same car as me so he is automatically cool.

whatever you decided to do as far as nitrous goes hondadrifter, please keep me posted. any info you can share about your car would be a great help to me as i am just getting started on my 95 civic ex coupe. got pics of your car?

As I've said numerous times, I've had a honda, they still interest me, and my brother is currently building one up. Really I dont think it matters what I drive and which forums I choose to post on. Does it matter that I post on many forums and few are nissan related? I dont think so, cars of all types interest me, and I read and post on forums to learn more about differnt types of cars. And no, a 240sx is the left hand drive version of the Silvia. Really i dont make fun of people for putting Type-R badges on their Civics, it's just kinda dumb that people claim that they can do a driving technique that is usually related to rwd cars (I say usually since some awd cars drift). And I'm not questioning his intelligence when it comes to cars, I just thought his money would be better spent elsewhere.

s14silvia? silvia as in the right hand drive japan spec 240sx?

OOH i see what you were getting at. you're trying to draw a comparrison between people who put type-r badges on their hondas and me since my FORUM name is s14sivlia, but i actually drive a 240sx. see the difference between me and those people who put type r badges on their honda with a cai, is i'm actually repping what i have not pretending to have something i dont. yeah the chassis will say 240sx but thats not what that lil sr20det says now is it? and no i dont have silvia badges all over the car, badging is $ that should have been spent elsewhere. i have respect for SOME people who drive honda's, those that actually invest the time in swapping in a b-series, building up a sohc, turbo'ing a sohc, turbo'ing a dohc, but what i dont have respect for is people that think they are badass with their coffee can exhausts, cai, and "fast and the furious" graphics.

back to the original subject, nitrous is a cheap way to add power, you get what you pay for. i would still rather put the $ into a b-series, but thats just me.

hey hey hey now. back on topic plz! anyways i think u should if u really want to put nitrous on your ride go with venom or N.O.S they are the best. but i would say get your motor compression tested and then get all new internals and get your head worked on. should help you alot and will give you a little more ponnies whiele u do it. also why the **** does it matter what the hell someones name is? it doesnt if that is what they want it to be then so be it. hell maybe they converted their civic to rwd and rhd and they just dont feel liek telling you. i think no one should care. let them be who they wana be

thanks a bunch "honda_civicex95" yeah for real i think that if i wanted to save up for a b series swap i would of posted something about it....and another thing i have a friend that i sold a car to it was a 95 civic cx hatch and he just put a b16a in it and hat professionaly done by the great people at speed people :laugh: yeah right..anyways he has had it 2 days the starter has gone bad and it rattles like hell when he reachs 80..also he has apexi exhaust as i do with the same header and what not. He is BARELY faster than me and i mean barely. he spent 2800 dollars total. Now why would i spend all that money to have a car rattle like crap because of hasport motor mounts and only be achieving right around the same speed.....i could just spend 2800 dollars and build my car up with a good turbo,pistons,camshafts and what not and still have what honda originally put in my ride which i like......if i had a car with no balls to begin with like my old cx then i would for sure do the b series swap.....

so since your friend cant drive, or his b16 wasnt installed correctly (more likely), or both, you dont want a b16. fair enough, i actually respect people who build up their sohc's rather then going for the swap, the fact of the matter is that power potential of a dohc is much higher then a sohc. i would avoid nitrous at all times, but if you really want nitrous venom is a really nice kit, and nos makes some good stuff to. i'm not a big fan of zex or nx, but look into the jg edelbrock kit, i hear its almost as good as the venom for half the price.

Nitrous is fine if done right.Its people who get HP greedy or don't set it up right that give nitrous a bad name coz they start breaking sh1t.Just be realistic about how much gas your car can take on stock internals.

in my opinion if you really want to go with nitros the i believe that you will have change out ur pistons and rings and some other stuff but i cant think of them off the top of my head right now cuz im really tired. hope it works out for the best for ya.

• 10 months later...

If you want nitro first of all watch the compression und retarding the ignition about 2 or 3 degrees, fogger systems are really better than normal systems.

Dont even think about dry injektion or you will just hurt your car!!!! :(

I have a Civic with an 1.3Liter engine (D13??) and i have a fogger system from NX that was designed for a 4 cyl. motorcycle and it puts 50 PS on the street!!!

And belive my thats enough for a good kick!!!

i run a 100 shot on my 240sx along with pullies, injen cai, hks catback

i personally don't think it's a pootie car....considering i beat alot of stuff without the nitrous.....i'm an advocate of "run what you brung"

so supra's with t-88's that use nitrous to spool the turbos are pussies?

remember that when you get blown away by a tuned car with nitrous

Turbo cars don't use nitrous to spool a turbo. The instant cold cracks the trubo housing.

I have a zex kit on my 92 hatch si with a b18b in it zex is a great kit and I think it is much safer then any other kit just make sure you kit a dry set up and the way to not damage your engine change plugs to 2 degrees cooler plugs and get a fuel pressure regalator and a fuel pressure gauge and change your fuel pressure

agreed man.....as long as you up the fuel with the nitrous, everything should run smoothly......i like zex, but i'm runnin NOS fogger..what do you run in the 1/4 with your nitrous?

this is just from what i learned but if you do it do it right and it can be safe. like alot of people said consider your rings and pistons if they have alot of miles on them, go to one step colder plugs if you are doing just a 65, retard your timing, you will want to make sure you have enough fuel to compensate for the colder more dense air coming in you should have high enough fuel pressure stock but might want to look in to a little bit larger injectors and either a larger fuel pump or at least a rewire kit. not trying to be rude or anything but nitrous will spool a turbo faster: more intake air= more exhaust= faster spool up but it wont crack it due to it being colder if anything it leans out your car and causes your pistons or valves to go because of the heat

Archived