these prices include:

Included Features:

A/C Compressor

Alternator

Sensors

Complete Block

Distributor

ECU (computer)

Un-Cut Harness to ECU <------thats a big deal to me.

Intake Manifold

Complete Head

Power Steering Pump

5-Speed FWD Manual Transmission

Ignition Wires

Starter

Throttle Body

Exhaust Manifold

Down Pipe

Fuel Rail

Injectors

Half Shaft (Intermediate Shaft)

All Clutch components with Flywheel Assembled to the Engine

Pulleys

what is the best deal?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

b16's are just fine as long as you keep the revs up. have you ever driven a car with a b16? its a great motor. so is the gsr. I'm a b16 fan though. its a more rev-happy motor and the head flows better. and it gets better mileage.

Have I ever driven one? Yeah. They are slow. My friend has a 99 SI with Intake, Exhaust, Test pipe, suspension stuff, and short shifter and doesn't beat me until about 90 mph.

All I have is I/H/E, clutch, flywheel, Ex trans, and my suspension setup and Azenis.

i was looking on hmotorsonline and the gsr is about 1000 more than a b16 if youre doing a complete changover. is it worth the extra g? or should that be put towards beefin up the b16.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard then. That's like saying is it worth buying a K20? With that logic, you'd say, no take that 8,000 and buy a GSR and turbo it.

Bottom line, GSR > B16 in every way.

that is completely irrelevent for two reasons:

1.) you're talking about a turbo setup and an N/A setup.

2.) I'm talking about the price range he suggested, and I'm just stating that for the price of the gsr the b16 could be faster.

edit: why do you hate the b16 so much?

edit: or he could just buy the b16 and have $1000 left over. I don't think he's worried about .4 in the 1/4

well im looking at 3 options right now.

1) I'd say get Z6 head, Z6 IM, B18 TB, P28 ECU, T3/T4 turbo, make your own charge piping, JRSC FMIC, cc-fab mani, oil feed/return lines, tial wg, and dsm bov all tuned with crome. then you can always upgrade, but you'd be quick. Thats about 2200-2500 plus install. <-solless

2) b16 sirII

3) b18 gsr

so i have to weigh how much each will cost, and how much power im getting out of them. im guessing the gsr will cost the most, so will i get more hp/tq out of the other two? obviously the b16 would be slightly modded

what type of cams are you talking about blksol? Im pretty much sold on the b16a, but being a domestic-head, i like displacement, and I like TQ.

I know im not going to get massive tq in a free reving 4cyl, but the car is a dd, its small, gets good economy, and I want it to be reliable. So its going to be all motor, maybe something else wayyy later, but I want a good solid base to start from.

As it sounds, the b16 has more parts avail for cheaper, but 130 tq vs 116 is quite a bit, considering the weight of the car and the low numbers to begin with.

The car is heavier that one would expect, and that extra tq should help a lot...

What type of milage difference am I looking at as well, as that is more and more important each passing day it seems.

Paul

edit --- Im not looking for a monster, I like subtle, I like power, but it is a daily driver. When I speak of parts, I mean replacement parts, as well as aftermarket upgrades. Milage is very important, and I didnt stress that in the first post. I more or less wanted people to say well, I think id buy this for that price because of ....blah blah...didnt mean for it to turn into a crapshow

Okay I'm a little late on this thread but there is no way that SolLes's D15 hangs with a B16 until 90. B16's are doggy until about 15mph when the revs are up high and then they scream. I've driven a B16 Del Sol and a GSR and yes, the tegs a little faster (even up top....barely) and pulls much harder off the line, but the B16 is a great powerplant to and shouldn't be cast aside so easily. B16's are slugish if you don't stay in the right gear which can be tricky, but someone who knows how to drive one will be pretty quick and definately beat a single cam with the same mods.

With what you are wanting, I would suggest an H22A. Its cheap, torquey, 200HP, and great for NA.

I want ease of installation, and from what has been posted in the other thread I started, d is easiest, then b, so the H is out.

Yeah, without a doubt a D16z6 would be the easiest and by far the cheapest. You could probably do a boosted D16 swap for the price of a B18C swap. Of course if you have the money, a boosted B18C swap would be amazing.

adding a blower of turbo would be a long way down the road...unless the right deal came along in the meantime, but as it is, Im not going to spend like a maniac because at this point, im not ready to do that. I want to do whatever I do right, and because of that, there are limitations....plus the car needs attention in other areas as well. The paint is not up to my standard, but that is another project for later. As a daily driver, I cant be too concerned about that stuff, as it gets damaged anyways from normal wear and tear...totally off topic....

I want the b18c, more realistic however is the b16a, reallys its down 10 hp, 15 tq, saves me 900 if I go non-lsd, but I would probably buy the lsd, and gets better economy, so I have read, and parts are cheaper...

cheaper, as reliable, more parts, really, the choice is obvious, im just dumb, and want as much as I can get.

Paul

I think you'd be good with a B16. A turbo SOHC may be a little quicker but you'll lose reliability and gas mileage with boost. A B16 will still get you over 30 mpg and be a blast to drive with great reliability. B16 get's my vote because it was every bit as fun as my B18C1 even though the B16 was a tad slower.

Archived