Engine swap question

reewinder

I might want to do an engine swap someday down the road but I have one little question. I have an automatic transmission and was wondering if that will limit me to what motors will work. I do not want a manual transmission so I don't mind if I am limited. Just nice to know ahead of time so I can come up with a plan and know what to keep an eye out for(parts wise).

I think I read somewhere that DOHC VTECs were only available on the Del Sol's with manual transmissions and I have little knowledge of motors/transmissions so I have no idea if they can be interchanged with an automatic. I hope this doesn't sound too noob a question. I hope to learn more about how everything works from these forums.

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you should get a 5-spd transmission during the swap.

get a gsr motor. you could probably find one for $3000.

and no DOHC VTEC is not just on del sol vtec's, they're on the intagra gsr, itr, prelude h22, i think '99-'00 civic si.....did i miss any?

I'm sure I could get used to driving a 5 speed but I have never had a desire to learn....

also I get leg cramps all the time so my legs are somewhat stiff and would make using a clutch difficult. I am happy to continue driving an automatic. So the question still remains.....can every motor out there easily bolt up to an automatic if it came out of a 5 speed.....or can it be done? Or what needs to be done to make them compatible?

Side note....I am aware that DOHC VTEC motors weren't just on Del Sol's. I was trying to ask if they were exclusively available in 5 speed manual transmission only. (as in they were never offered in an automatic)

That's why I am not sure if one will mount up to an automatic. Allthough I have the SI model with a SOHC VTEC.

To clear up why I don't want a 5 speed a little further (i could post a pic if I knew how) I have HUGE leg muscles. My calves alone measure 20" around and sometimes when they cramp they don't uncramp for like a minute or 2. A really bad cramp can leave you limping for a couple of days. I know the benefits of a 5 speed and wish I could drive one.....maybe if I had one of those clutches that are right on the shifter??? So until then I'm dead set on keeping an automatic.

and you have to push the gas and brake pedals as it is. face it- the ONLY reason you want an auto is that you're lazy and don't want to learn. stop making excuses and get a manual. otherwise just stick with the sohc. or go buy a civic with a b16/auto. imo del sol's should have only come in manual. if you're to lazy to learn then buy something else.

You seem so eager to diss the automatic yet not one of you have given an answer. Either you don't know or just don't care.

Get over the fact that I have an automatic. Look at it as someone in a wheelchair and you guys are all shouting to him "get up and walk" ....."walking is much better than scootin around in that chair"...

If you don't know the answer.....from what I have been hearing is that I would have to get a motor that came out of a car that was made for Japan. Or find a bigger motor that was allready mounted to a civic or integra or w/e that had automatic transmission. Not sure if I have the facts right or not but from what I am hearing.....if it came outta a 5 speed then it won't work with an automatic.

we have more than one car with an automatic. not sayin their bad, but if someone is adding hp and they want an automatic, then it is kind of stupid imo. and as for your simile, that is not a very good comparrison. you have a motor. your car runs and moves (I assume). a more appropriate similie would be taking that guy in the wheelchair and having someone move his legs and arms. technically he's walking, but he looks more helpless than he did before. if you are planning on swapping in a b16 then you are aiming for more hp and more speed. a manual will be faster than an auto on that engine becuase the gear ratio is closer and it is a lighter tranny. aslo, you will get better gas mileage. if you are swappin in a b16 to have a car that is more fun to drive, then a manual would also be a better choice because it is more fun. if, for some reason, you can't drive a manual for a medical reason, then you should just be happy they let you drive at all, and quit trying to make your car faster, you'll just hurt yourself

and you got an answer:

Why to you want auto? I think you might be able to find a b16 auto for $2000 maybe?

My car used to be an Auto.

yes, its possible. basically you're ignorant, and you need to open your mind a little to try and actually learn something. :o

It interesting how much crap n00bs get on here for little things. Granted, this could have been solved if he lurked a little bit and understood how things rolled here before posting things about his HUGE leg muscles, but it also might be better not to jump to the conclusion that he is lazy and ignorant.

If you want my opinion, reewinder, don't bother tricking out a car with an auto tranny. You're already losing a good bit to the automatic transmission, so just let it go and accept the fact that your car will be a "relaxing" driver and not a racer. Spend the money making your ride more comfortable. If you can somehow swing a standard shift, then go ahead and mod it. You'll actually notice the difference then.

Never said I wanted more HP or w/e.....

Just said that I MIGHT want to upgrade someday.

I'm not sayin the D16Z6 is underpowered but as soon as i got this car I noticed it instills a desire for every car around you to want to try and race.....even little ol' ladies.....but more often than not these big trucks with V8's. It would be nice to have a little more backing up the pedal.

Not lazy at all....I have tried driving 5 speeds and they just aren't for me. Gas + Brakes = one leg....clutch work requires another. Trust me when I say I would rather drive a 5 speed.

I know havin an automatic is somewhat of a handicap.....that is why I used the wheelchair analogy. But if I was in a wheelchair I wouldn't let things get in my way. I would know my limitations and take the best route possible to deal with whatever situation. That is all I am trying to do now. I have come to accept that I am going to be driving an automatic......now I just need to know what paths I have to take.

I'm not sure I understand what you want, then. You don't necessarily want more horses, but you do maybe want more power so you can race old ladies in V8s?

From what I read here, it seems like a switch to a manual tranny would be the best possible upgrade for you, were it not for the whole leg thing. Explanation: this would not give you more power, but it would make racing much easier. My sol s is only 102 hp, but since it's a manual I've beaten an SLK in a race since the guy in the SLK couldn't shift as well as I could.

lol. you must have a 93-95 del sol s. and since its a manual I already know you dont have power steering either. reewinder couldn't handle that either, because it would take both arms.(just messing with ya reewinder) I had a del sol S that was a 97, and it had 106 hp. it was a d16y7, what is yours, like a d15b7 or something like that?

Yeah, it's a D15B7. Weak. I'm looking to replace it once I get the cash, which will hopefully be around the end of the summer.

Not having power steering is so annoying when you're doing three point turns or parallel parking. Other than that I don't even notice it. I have a fluid reservoir right next to my clutch fluid that should be power steering though, and I'm not sure what it's for. Whatever it is, though, it's dirty as hell. It's practically black and it should be translucent gold.

yea, the del sol s with a manual was the only dol sol that didn't have power steering. its ok on the road, but I had 16x7's on mine and it was kind of a pain to parallel park. I wanted to do a b16 swap, but I'm glad I just got a vtec del sol. it has power steering, all wheel discs, and power mirrors. and it has speakers in the doors too. Im not sure if yours does, but my s model didn't have speakers in the doors and it was gay. also- the vtec model has abs.

Mine has speakers in the doors. I would very much like ABS and rear discs, though. Also, I'm about to put 17x7s on my sol and I hadn't thought of the complications that might give me without power steering. I might just have to man up, though.

lol, its fine as long as your not parallel parking. try to get 16's if you can, I think 17 will make it a little slower acceleration and they are heavier, plus they're too big for a sol imo, but thats just my opinion, its your car. what wheels?

Motegi MR7s. I bought all four for 200 bucks. And they came with a free Honda Accord! I think they'll look good. EH6TD's got 17s on his sol and they look nice.

I try to avoid parallel parking anyway. This will just give me a better excuse.

well if you got them for that cheap hell yea. post up pics. I fiberglassed all day, it sucked, gut it's well worth it for the nice box I made. Im trying to make my system as light as I can but still nice. one good thing about the s model- it's 300lbs lighter than the vtec one. and gets awesome gas mileage. I'm getting mine back here pretty soon, but it will need a LOT of work.

Archived