V-Tec Problem, PLEASE HELP!!!

GSR4Door13

ok, so ive got a 1998 integra gsr sedan, and t doesnt seem like the vtec is kicking in. i think it might be the solonoid, but im not sure. i think the filter might b dirty, so if that is the problem, how do i clean it. also if that isnt the problem, then can anyone make a suggestions. i need help!!!!!! oh, and by the way, its only running 16.02 on the quarter mile on 89 octane gas.

What are you basing this assumption on? Just wondering if you are basing it on sound or if you're are certain that it's not kicking in?

well from what i have heard, youshould be able to slightly hear it kick in, and i cant really feel any power change, although its not alot, u shouldn still b able to feel something, shouldnt u?

i had the same problem when i swapped in a gsr into my civic. it might be problem with your ecu, thats what it was with mine. an ecu will run you about 100-200 bucks. you want a p72

i dont know if you guys ever heard of this , but if you think your VTEC aint kickin in , than run a single wire from the VTEC wire to the cabin of your car and to a light thats grounded , than when VTEC kicks in the light will come on.

Pull vtec solonoid off- just a couple bolts and check the screen inside. If it's clogged, clean and reinstall it. Also check if ur oil is topped off. If that doesn't fix it you have to check wiring or the solonoid could have gone bad.

i dont know if you guys ever heard of this , but if you think your VTEC aint kickin in , than run a single wire from the VTEC wire to the cabin of your car and to a light thats grounded , than when VTEC kicks in the light will come on.

hell yea cranny...we've got a funcioning vtec indicator light!

On my GSR, vtec isn't all that loud and I can't even hear it in 1st since it revs up so fast. You can hear the secondaries a lot more than VTEC. Same as far as power goes. I don't notice a jump in power when VTEC comes in, it's a really smooth transition and I notice a difference in power much more from the secondaries than from VTEC. A smooth transition into vtec is better than "harsh" engagement. If you notice a big difference, then you're probably dropping off power right before VTEC which is why you notice such a jump. It should be smooth.

Not really. I think the B16 is so much more noticable because of the horrible torque curve. On my B16A3 Del Sol, it felt like I hit nitrous when my vtec kicked in. This wasn't so much because I had a ton of power come on, but rather the fact that I didn't have hardly any power in the lower revs because of the torqueless wonder. I would imagine the B16B wouldn't be any different than my USDM B16.

Pull vtec solonoid off- just a couple bolts and check the screen inside. If it's clogged, clean and reinstall it. Also check if ur oil is topped off. If that doesn't fix it you have to check wiring or the solonoid could have gone bad.

oil is a major thing here. I'd be watchin my oil pressure b/c we all know that the vtec is engaged with the pressure of the oil.... If your oil pressure is lower than 60psi around 5 grand, it needs to be a thicker concentrate for the vtec to engage.(or moreso in my b16a1).

That is what i found most of my problems to being. but yes, i'd also check everything else - filter, sensors, just whatever would cause it not to work. this is just my opinion...not for everyone to "ride" on me abt that.

the reason your car isnt the same in VTEC hung is that crap ass intake manny they use on that car only , i dont get it. get rid of it and it will sound like a B16 prett much. bolt a B16 intake to it. or aftermarket.

Come on cranny....you know better than that. A b16 mani won't fit on my head. I'd have to get an aftermarket, but I'd also have to convert to OBD-1 so my ecu could be chipped because VTEC at 4400 rpms would kill my midrange without the stock intake mani. I actually like the stock mani because it helps midrange power a lot. It hurts in the higher rev range though. My del sol pulled harder on highway runs. I would like to get a blox manifold but wnat to make sure I can do the ecu stuff at the same time.

Archived