Differnece between 17" and 17x7.5"

Although the 17x7.5 wheels can accomodate a few more mms on the width. Still, I'd stick with 17x7 just cuz it's safer what with the wheel rubbing and all, plus tires may be a little bit cheaper for 'em.

that .5 inch is better handling.. youd be very surprised.

No it's not. If you put a 205/40 on a 7" wide rim it's not going to be any different than a 205/40 on a 7.5" rim. The tire is still going to be 205mm wide and the contact of the tire is what's going to change handling. The only difference is that the sidewall will lean in on a 7.5" wheel because it's not as wide as the wheel. The only difference is if you change the tire to a wider tire.

No it's not. If you put a 205/40 on a 7" wide rim it's not going to be any different than a 205/40 on a 7.5" rim. The tire is still going to be 205mm wide and the contact of the tire is what's going to change handling. The only difference is that the sidewall will lean in on a 7.5" wheel because it's not as wide as the wheel. The only difference is if you change the tire to a wider tire.

Exactly.

yea it is.. .5 inch has better turning.

do some research instead of just assuming

If you are still talking about the differences in 205/40's on a 7" wide rim, and a 7.5" rim.....there is no difference. the only difference would be the angle of the sidewall. And if someone wanted to get real technical and I do mean real technical they could run some tests to see how much the angle of the sidewall (in respect to the contact patch of the tire) effects handling.

Research in a lab might be able to tell you what is optimum and by how much, but I doubt you'll be able to notice the difference in the two rims from just seat time at the track.

no one is assuming anything, that is just how it works.

If you are still talking about the differences in 205/40's on a 7" wide rim, and a 7.5" rim.....there is no difference. the only difference would be the angle of the sidewall. And if someone wanted to get real technical and I do mean real technical they could run some tests to see how much the angle of the sidewall (in respect to the contact patch of the tire) effects handling.

Research in a lab might be able to tell you what is optimum and by how much, but I doubt you'll be able to notice the difference in the two rims from just seat time at the track.

no one is assuming anything, that is just how it works.

I'd have to agree with you on this! None of us are scientists, nor do we have labs to test this handling factor, which like you said, is the only place you could see the difference!

yea it is.. .5 inch has better turning.

do some research instead of just assuming

That is the worst response I've heard in a long time (probably dumbest too). You're honestly going to say that a wider wheel will have a better turn in? Think about that for a second. I garuntee a 10" wide wheel on a ferrari is not nearly as easy to turn in as a del sol's 6" wide rim. And don't get started on the handling difference again because a 205 tire is 205 mm wide whether you stick it on a 6.5" rim or an 8" wide rim.

Archived