good or bad turbo 2

VtecLude22-Sol18

Dude, even on 10 psi the HKS will outperform the Greddy and Garrett. You're also comparing apples to oranges with HKS and Greddy.

HKS stands behind their products much better than Greddy does too, which to me, means a lot.

Also, HKS uses a Garret based turbo, and they re-blue print blah blah blah. Anyway, the ball bearing turbos that HKS use will outperform any Greddy turbo, even in the long run.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, HKS also uses Iconnel in their turbo's .. which is capbale of withstanding much higher temperatures, and is very costly, thus, making the turbo a tad more pricey.

Have you personally ever run an HKS turbo? If not, why?

I'm just curious.. what kind of a difference are we talking about here.. 10hp.. 15hp..?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me personally? No, I haven't ahd one. My buddy has a D16 turbo just like I did, on a greddy turbo running 10 psi, and my garrett on 10 psi pulled 38whp more than his. My tuner showed me dyno he had on his pc of a recent customer on HKS turbo on B16 making 28whp more than me on a B16, at 7lbs. Which is striking difference.

The reality is, Greddy turbo's are not nearly as good .. it's totally factual. I wish I had an HKS turbo, in fact, in my new set up, I am thinking about getting one.

Me personally? No, I haven't ahd one. My buddy has a D16 turbo just like I did, on a greddy turbo running 10 psi, and my garrett on 10 psi pulled 38whp more than his. My tuner showed me dyno he had on his pc of a recent customer on HKS turbo on B16 making 28whp more than me on a B16, at 7lbs. Which is striking difference.

The reality is, Greddy turbo's are not nearly as good .. it's totally factual. I wish I had an HKS turbo, in fact, in my new set up, I am thinking about getting one.

Well.. you have a few things to consider, one being the tune. Having a good tune can make a big difference on the power outputs.. so, I'm not going to follow that 100%. I'll go with you on the fact that it makes more power, but 38whp? Maybe you just had a damn good tune! lol

HKS turbos are good.. and if you can afford one, go for it.. but I can't justify spending $2k for a turbo on an $8k car.

agreed , all the manufacturers these days that make so called best turbos , stole or use most of the technology that garrett made available. garrett has been making turbochargers possibly longer than any other company(cant back that up). saab , volvo , all these companies use garrett turbos so. most cheap kits you see on ebay , the ad will say garrett internals. companies like HKS are like companies like BASF , they admit right in thier advertising if youve seen the comercial , "we dont make the products you use , we make the products you use better". HKS takes an already great design and makes it out of space age technological materials and wamma , thats why HKS is better . you see what im already gettin at. solles dont get upset , but you say this guy ran this(brand) kit that ran this(power) , and it was faster than this guys kit which was this(brand) and ran this (time). what size turbos though? hot? cold side? what brand intercooler? what size charge piping? what FMU was each runnin? so many variables , so to say simply one brand is better than another cause of a couple experiences youve had , and i know you have (and driven and owned). you see what im gettin at. cool down fellas everyone forgets were on same side.

Ehh, if I had the money, I'd probably get a Garrett ball bearing, or Precision.

Wellm, it depends ... :My manifold, turbo, charge piping, FMIC, couplers, oil feed/return lines, boost controller, turbo timer, BOV, WG, DP, Hondata, and walbro FP ran me about 2400-2500.

Alos, take into consideration, most pre-fab'd kits wouldn't have Hondata, or turbo timer, or boost controller, or capable of as much boost as I had.

I totally agree. But the thing about HKS chepaest being 2000 ? You are looking on expensive sites. They are like 1100 my way.

Anyway, Garrett is best bet or Hondas.

Well then I guess HKSUSA is an expensive site.. lol..

2500 seems so high... I'm not sure I'll ever be turboing my sol. Maybe I'll do everything but...

Edit: And yeah, apparently HKUSA is. You're getting the MSRP from that, since it's the official site, so you're not getting any of the special deals third parties offer, selling at a lower margin.

That's true. Still... I like fuel economy, and so far my list of mods are fairly fuel friendly. So long as I don't get on it too hard for too long. If I can be kickin' it at 160-175 hp while still getting around 30 mpg I'll be happy, and I don't see that as unreasonable.

D16Z6 swap (140 hp)

DC ceramic header (+8-10hp?)

AEM CAI (+4-5hp?)

Tanabe Hyper-Medallion exhaust (+5-8hp?)

Exedy Clutch/Fidanza Flywheel (+hp?)

Edit: I read about some gears that you put in your sol that you said made it noticeably faster off the mark. What are those? Should I be interested?

Haha, sounds like something I did/would do.

Sweet man. Glad I could help.

With that set up and a cam ($350), you could run 155-160 whp. Easily, depending on the cam.

The 4.7 final drive is noticably different, yeah. It's up to you ... depends on what you want.

stay away from ceramic headers , junk. made with mild steel not stainless so no matter what coating they put on it or what claim they make , its gonna rust or crack before it rusts.

Well, cam would be a long explanation, so we can save that for another thread.

The jist of it would be that the cam upgrade I would recommend raises low end power, and actually helps with top end too by affecting VTEC. The lobes themselves are bigger, and have more lift and duration. It makes a tremendous difference when it comes to VTEC ... that's jsut my opinion though.

The 4.7 FD shortens your gears. I am not sure of the speeds exactly, but your top speed will come down a bit, but acceleration changes too ... which is more important IMO .. unless you are trying to hit 180mph.

Ok, a cam sounds good even though there were a bunch of words in there I didn't understand.

The 4.7 FD also sounds good, because I'm never going _that_ fast. Accelerating is the fun part of having a fast car anyway, not cruising along at a speed that'll get you a hefty ticket. What do those things run (the 4.7s, not the hefty tickets)?

Archived